Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UK Company - GB or NI (Brexit)

Options
  • 22-10-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for opinions please and I know Brexit isn't agreed yet so a definitive answer may be impossible.

I'm going to expand my business into the UK, its a service business, won't have any UK based staff for about a year or so, all run from Ireland. Its an online business, that's already successful in Ireland. The ROI entity will "own" the UK entity.

Given Brexit, would a company established in NI be better than one in GB? I can see how that might make it easier for dealings between the ROI company (which will "own" the UK company) but it might prove more difficult for GB based companies to deal with it?

The business will operate in England (rather than Scotland, NI or Wales)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have you looked into directorship residency / company bond etc - may be an issue in the opposite direction.

https://www.cro.ie/About-CRO/Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

How urgent is it? I would wait until its clearer how things are going to work. Saw one story that suggested NI would change VAT rates in line with ROI if they was the case then probably better to set up in the mainland either for higher margin or lower retail price would think that seems unlikely though. Depending on where and how the checks/borders are I could imagine a time where almost everything went "through" NI. Unless NI starts to operate very differently from the rest of the UK then that you would think that would be the better option as you should get the benefit it being in the UK but still nice and close to the parent company.

Advertisement