Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook - Saving emails...?

Options
  • 22-10-2019 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I have just completed a third level course during which I had an email address from the institution for all correspondence between us.

I have just been emailed by them to say that the address will cease in 140 days and all emails will be deleted.

I use Microsoft Outlook on my computer for the three addresses I use.

Can the emails on it (in my computer) be deleted by the institution, or do they simply mean that all my sent and received will be deleted on their server?

I want to keep all sent/received emails that used this address.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dinarius wrote: »
    I have just completed a third level course during which I had an email address from the institution for all correspondence between us.

I have just been emailed by them to say that the address will cease in 140 days and all emails will be deleted.

I use Microsoft Outlook on my computer for the three addresses I use.

Can the emails on it (in my computer) be deleted by the institution, or do they simply mean that all my sent and received will be deleted on their server?

I want to keep all sent/received emails that used this address.

Many thanks.

D.
    They will remove license from that account or delete the account altogether so data will be gone from their servers/exchange.
    Institution has no powers to do anything with your other accounts that don't belong to them or data stored in your outlook profile on your PC.

You could leave it as is now, but once that account will be decommissioned, your outlook wont be able to authenticate and you'll get constant prompts for password for that account.

If you willing to keep correspondence for that account, you might consider exporting data to .pst and then importing it to any other account. This way it will be merged into account of your choice. After import completed, you can remove that mail account from outlook.

You could just open pst in outlook instead of importing, but that mean its not on any server, its stored as single file and if it ever gets corrupt... .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Smuggler,

As always, thank! ;)

As long as the emails in my Outlook program (which is synced to Outlook on my iPhone) are not deleted, that's all I'm concerned about.

The email correspondence saved goes back to my course application, and I'll need all of it.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dinarius wrote: »
    As long as the emails in my Outlook program (which is synced to Outlook on my iPhone) are not deleted, that's all I'm concerned about.
    D.
    Don't be mistaking here.
    Outlook on PC do not sync to outlook on iPhone.
    Instead, devices sync to server/exchange. If account is disabled/unlicensed/deleted non of devices will be able to access it. Outlook on PC will have data (by the way, insure its in cached mode and you sync ALL mail, not just for one year(default setting)), where phone might not.

I'd still export/import.
    If don't want to merge to current account, just create mycourse@outlook.com and import into it. This ensures that mail is on MS server and accessible any time from anywhere with internet connection.

Advertisement