Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Richard Keys defence results in €17.5 payout

• 22-10-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/chef-who-asked-for-kiss-after-all-ireland-win-awarded-17-500-for-unfair-dismissal-1.4059046?mode=amp
    A chef who was sacked and accused of sexual harassment after asking a female colleague for a kiss when Dublin won the All-Ireland has been awarded compensation of €17,500 for unfair dismissal.

The avid GAA supporter told the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) that he was “elated” and in “high spirits” after the Dublin football team won the “four-in-a-row” last year.

He was leaving work to attend the homecoming celebrations, and told his female co-worker that he thought this “deserves a kiss”, pointing to his cheek. He later described the comment as “simply banter”.

Well???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What about the woman he sexually harassed ?

Its not he actually won the 4-in-a-row, is it ? He was just a creepy chef who tried it on with a female co-worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Surely the I'll give you a smack reply was grounds for an assault complaint so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

D3V!L wrote: »

Its not he actually won the 4-in-a-row, is it ? He was just a creepy chef who tried it on with a female co-worker.
    Why creepy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Where was the sexual harassment!? He asked for a kiss and was turned down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

munster87 wrote: »
    Where was the sexual harassment!? He asked for a kiss and was turned down!

That's sexual harassment.

Not worthy of being sacked over but it is sexual harassment. Its creepy, you are in work you shouldn't be asked for kisses.

Definition -
    behaviour characterized by the making of unwelcome and inappropriate sexual remarks or physical advances in a workplace or other professional or social situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He must have been an incredibly ugly “person”, inside and out.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

That's sexual harassment.

Not worthy of being sacked over but it is sexual harassment. Its creepy, you are in work you shouldn't be asked for kisses.

Definition -
    behaviour characterized by the making of unwelcome and inappropriate sexual remarks or physical advances in a workplace or other professional or social situation.

and?

the key point, as always, is that if it wasnt worth being sacked for then he shouldnt have been sacked

if companies cared that much about the size of payouts, they wouldnt make such a balls up of simple processes governing disciplinary matters.

Imagine if the gazillion hookups in the scandals thread has been nipped in the bud as sexual harassment - the world would be full of phantom ****ters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

and?

the key point, as always, is that if it wasnt worth being sacked for then he shouldnt have been sacked

if companies cared that much about the size of payouts, they wouldnt make such a balls up of simple processes governing disciplinary matters.

Someone questioned if it was sexual harassment.
    Jam simply pointed out that it was, albeit, on the minor side of things.

and?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

QxZe.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Did he not ask for consent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So "trying it on" with a female is now creepy...?

Problem here is that the consent awareness people want everyone to ask first, (and rightfully so), but then asking is ALSO deemed harassment....??!

No wonder people are ****ign confused.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

utnJsin

Problem here is that the consent awareness people want everyone to ask first, (and rightfully so), but then asking is ALSO deemed harassment....??!

Sorry, I forgot to put the sarcasm tags on that post :pac:

Sorry, I forgot to put the sarcasm tags on that post :pac:
    I'm not sure the sarcasm tags would work there - are you sure you didn't just realise you were being ridiculous?

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm not sure the sarcasm tags would work there - are you sure you didn't just realise you were being ridiculous?

I believe my track record here will further re-enforce my previous statement your honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Unless you're really thick, it's not confusing at all. You won't go far wrong if you behave appropriately towards your colleagues, especially if you don't know them well - i.e. don't ask them to kiss you because some sports team won a game. They're there to do a job, not to satisfy your creepy urges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I thought he just won 17.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

For the avoidance of doubt, my use of the following language is intended only and wholly in terms of the interpretation of "silly and fruit" and in no way suggestive of "anatomical likeness".

I find this whole thing to be a bit bananas*

*Should you in anyway internalise a potential interpretation derivation of this statement as relating to anatomical likeness, please consider your brain a potential risk for you and others.

• Advertisement

Yes. its creepy. Don't try it on with us in work. We are there to earn money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I thought he just won 17.50

i thought he won 17 and a half million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No surprise at this one and deserved payout IMO. A conversation on workplace behaviour and maybe a grovelling apology at most. Man was just being an eejit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Are women just too fragile for the work place or just too fragile when it suits !

blinding wrote: »
    Are women just too fragile for the work place or just too fragile when it suits !

Misogyny aside, some people just want to go to work and do their job, without being hassled by some clown who thinks he's 'great craic'.

Yes. its creepy. Don't try it on with us in work.
    Or other social situation, according to the definition you quoted, right?

Misogyny aside, some people just want to go to work and do their job, without being hassled by some clown who thinks he's 'great craic'.
    So women are too fragile for a bit of banter and are not able to cope with a bit of banter .

Maybe they just want a safe space back at home !

When they said they wanted equality was it too much to expect they could handle a bit of banter .

Women up . They just discredit genuine cases .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The problem here was the company's stupid zero tolerance policy. HR like these policies because it means they don't have to engage their brains or use their judgment. A verbal warning would've been sufficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Hmmm i'll reserve some judgement here as i think this comes down to the content of their working "relationship" he could well be an absolute sleazy k!nt and the job had had enough and bypassed normal protocal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems like the right decision. A word from HR should have been enough.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The problem here was the company's stupid zero tolerance policy. HR like these policies because it means they don't have to engage their brains or use their judgment. A verbal warning would've been sufficient.
    HR could just have kissed and made up with the Guy . Probably fine if they were all guys .

Hmmm i'll reserve some judgement here as i think comes comes down to the content of their working "relationship" he could well be an absolute sleazy k!nt and the job had had enough and bypassed normal protocal
    All we have is the article in the OP to go on and it does highlight the disproportionate response of the company. As it also states and as mentioned on this thread there are less severe means of dealing with it.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Or other social situation, according to the definition you quoted, right?

No just work. I don't think that is a crazy idea that you should be able to go to your job without getting creeped on. Maybe it is.

So women are too fragile for a bit of banter and are not able to cope with a bit of banter .

When they said they wanted equality was it too much to expect they could handle a bit of banter .

What a thick post, on so many levels. I know your intention is to bash women, but you unwittingly do men a disservice. Most of us have a bit of cop on and know who we can and can't engage in 'banter' with. He was in the job four days.

is_that_so wrote: »
    All we have is the article in the OP to go on and it does highlight the disproportionate response of the company.

I have a feeling this story has a lot more to the background than what we know of

• Advertisement

Maybe just don't ask for kisses in work. What you consider "banter" may not be considered by others. So just don't. You are fragile if you don't want creeps trying it on with you. I see.

I have a feeling this story has a lot more to the background than what we know of
    Well WRC has deemed it unfair dismissal and they didn't follow any form of procedure. Procedures are there for everyone including addressing how people behave as well as varying levels of sanctions.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well WRC has deemed it unfair dismissal and they didn't follow any form of procedure. Procedures are there for everyone including addressing how people behave as are the varying levels of sanctions.

I agree, they (Company) dealt with it incorrectly and the judgement was correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Its certainly possible that the complailant was dressed in a workplace-inappropriate or sexually suggestive clothing - which may have given off the wrong message. Leave the high-heels, low-cut blouses and make-up at home, ladies.

What a thick post, on so many levels. I know your intention is to bash women, but you unwittingly do men a disservice. Most of us have a bit of cop on and know who we can and can't engage in 'banter' with. He was in the job four days.

Three years according to the article, but had been working with the complainant for just 4 days.

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    Its certainly possible that the complailant was dressed in a workplace-inappropriate or sexually suggestive clothing - which may have given off the wrong message. Leave the high-heels, low-cut blouses and make-up at home, ladies.

Speculation

It's certainly possible she was dressed in a wooly jumper, jeans and wellies

Jesus Christ.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Three years according to the article, but had been working with the complainant for just 4 days.

They'd worked together for just four days. In that situation, I think most of us wouldn't dream of behaving like that.

The ladies can’t cut it in the work place . Time off for periods , time off for the menopause , can’t handle a bit of banter , when the going gets tough / heavy , let the men do it . Long hours ; let the men do it . Work far from home ; let the men do it .

Women have found the work place much harder than they thought it was and find every and any exuse to do a runner to their safe place at home watching Good Morning TV and the Like .

Give it up Ladies most of ye would be much happier at home with yer’e feet up .

They'd worked together for just four days. In that situation, I think most of us wouldn't dream of behaving like that.
    For all we know she may have been pouting at him for 4 days .

The ladies can’t cut it in the work place . Time off for periods , time off for the menopause , can’t handle a bit of banter , when the going gets tough / heavy , let the men do it . Long hours ; let the men do it . Work far from home ; let the men do it .

Women have found the work place much harder than they thought it was and find every and very exude to do a runner to their safe place at home watching Good Morning TV and the Like .

Give it up Ladies most of ye would be much happier at home with yer’e feet up .

It's like you're trying to compete with each other for who can make the thickest post.

It's a draw.

It's like you're trying to compete with each other for who can make the thickest post.

It's a draw.

Yep. I'm out, what is even the point.

Absolutely, doesn't change the fact the company lost the unfair dismissal hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I believe my track record here will further re-enforce my previous statement your honour.

Overruled.

To be perfectly honest, he sounds like the worst type of Dublin fan. Why does he think that him going out to celebrate Dublin winning 4-in-a-row deserves a kiss?

• Advertisement
Advertisement