Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Buying in Dromheath/Castlecurragh area

Options
  • 22-10-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I'm interested in buying a duplex in Castlecurragh Heath.

I'd like to ask these questions:
    -How soundproofed are the walls?
    -How safe is the area these days (bad reviews dating ~10 years back)..?
    -what's included in the management fees?
    -Anything else would be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Plot150

Uglysoik1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this one. I'm interested in buying a duplex in Castlecurragh Heath.

Own a house in Castlecurragh. Personally, if we could afford to leave we would. Place has gone downhill badly last 5 years.

Walls aren’t thin, I can hear my neighbours if I’m in the downstairs loo but that’s about it. Generally noise isn’t bad.

Safety wise, parts are grand and parts aren’t. Use common sense when walking at night. The park for example doesn’t have adequate lighting so wouldn’t walk

Don’t know what management fees pay for these days, cutting the grass occasionally I think that’s about it.

Here come the extra parts:
    Homes affected by pyrite. If you do buy, Check for this
    Drug dealer living in castlecurragh vale. She keeps getting raided
    Several brothels were operating in the estate. Don’t know if they are all closed down yet.
    Kids on motorbikes/scramblers who do wheelies up and down the road, footpaths, run redlights. Think they live in drumheath. Not every day but be aware
    Littering and fly dumping. Bad in the estate. Group of volunteers do their best with litter picking days but it’s only a small group of people that seem to care
    Homeless charity has started buying houses and apartments in area to house people. Not against the idea but we had one guy housed near us who clearly has mental health issues and/or drugs.
    Several traveller families in the area, nothing against them apart from dumping in gardens, in the park etc. council won’t/can’t do anything

Plus:
    Good people in area too
    Close to good facilities
    Neighbourhood watch scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Uglysoik1 wrote: »

I've lived in a duplex in CC Heath for 16 years now and have no real issues. The thing that annoys me most about the area is the littering and fly tipping. It can get bad. I too have read bad reports about living here but I suppose it depends on where in the estate you are. it is a big place and I'm sure there are issues with bad neighbours in certain spots. But I'm lucky in that regard.

It's a safe enough area and I've never had any issues in my years here but as the other poster said, don't be stupid and you'd be grand.

I've no issues with noise in my apartment. You hear doors closing if they're slammed next door or below but I never hear a loud TV or music or anything like that. The main thing the management fees for the apartments cover is the building insurance (you'll still need your own contents insurance). It also covers stuff like maintenance (e.g. they cut the trees back in the common areas this year) and grass cutting etc. They are planning to paint the apartments too but because some people haven't paid their fees, there's no money in the budget to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

Thank you both very much for your replies.

Do you know who's responsible for the balcony repairs. Survey came back apparently going to need new decking and cracked walls on the outside.

Thank you for your help & much appreciated!

Advertisement