Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rob tourists at gunpoint & have your anonymity protected?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

boombang wrote: »
    A report in the IT shows a video of a pair of scummers robbing tourists at gun point. The thieves have their faces blurred in the video placed online. Call me old-fashioned, but I think robbing people at gun point should make you liable for having your mug plastered all over the media.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tourists-robbed-at-gunpoint-near-guinness-storehouse-in-dublin-1.4059200

Dialing my predictable outrage down, what's the serious reason for preserving the privacy of these scrotes? Is it because Gardai will have a good idea of who they are and there's no need to risk mistakenly identifying innocent grey tracksuit wearers? Surely there's a good reason rather than modern PC data privacy?

Personally, I would like to see the obligatory online posting of names and mugshots upon conviction.

Have they been proven guilty in a court of law ?

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    GDPR should be repealed.

It is a terrible piece of legislation.

It is like the world's biggest wet blanket. Stifling everything.... law enforcement, business, the economy, simple inquiries.

Yes who cares about privacy eh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Because naming and shaming always prevents future crimes!

Some people are beyond shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Because naming and shaming always prevents future crimes!

Err, yes it does.

The scum is identified and put behind bars where these animals belong. Therefore he will not be in a position to commit future crimes.

It's not complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Yep. Innocent until proven guilty, even if they're blatantly guilty.

It's a shame people falsely accused of sexual crimes don't get the same protection.

You just completely ignored my point on mistaken identity and the wrong people getting attacked. Pretty happy you've no role in the criminal justice system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Ah now let's just t wait till judge Martin nolan gets these 2 little scamps into his courtroom.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It took ten minutes for the first unarmed Gardai to arrive

That is absolutely disgraceful but sadly no one is surprised.

Been saying it for years. If the scummers had a brain to spare between them the city could be brought to it's knees in chaos very quickly.

We don't have a proper police force.

Simple as that.

The new commissioner Harris knows it too. He was in charge of an actual police force in the north.

Could you imagine a tourist site like that in London, tourists held at gunpoint, (or any major city in the UK) where the police would take 10 minutes to arrive??? They'd be on it in seconds, not minutes.

We are not deserving of such protection in our capital city seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Yes who cares about privacy eh

Exactly.

If you’re doing nothing wrong then who cares.

People can find out what they want about you nowadays no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Absolute scum, the guys doing that. I kinda admire the woman for arguing with them, if someone was pointing a gun at me it would be "please take the money"
    An incident like that can leave long term effects on mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gatling wrote: »
    This was on joe Duffy earlier apparently GDPR laws prevent the person being identified in footage or images

Gdpr has nothing to do with this. It's public CCTV.

It would have everything to do with ruining any prosecution. And frankly I'm ok with that. Because the guards will definitely know these lads.

And hope they get the book thrown at them. And not get off on technicalities just because it makes an internet rabble all hard.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    Absolute scum, the guys doing that. I kinda admire the woman for arguing with them, if someone was pointing a gun at me it would be "please take the money"
    An incident like that can leave long term effects on mental health

She was stupid, just like Charlie chalk years ago of the goat pub

If you want our police farce to turn up these days your need to be either a member of the hutch/ kinihan vermin families or a large multi national that has hired them at a daily rate.

I can only hope these two cockroaches and everyone like them eventually die screaming in agony in a pool of their own piss and vomit alone in a **** street lane crying for the bitch **** mare that spit them out. All junkies and scumbags should be gassed we have reached tipping point in this country and the next generation are worse. The scum at the top and the scum at the bottom are just feeding of all us mugs in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Padre_Pio wrote: »

It's a shame people falsely accused of sexual crimes don't get the same protection.

Like dashcams, the Gardai will soon encourage people to make a video record of all their sexual activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

listermint wrote: »
    Gdpr has nothing to do with this. It's public CCTV..

It's still bound by GDPR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Have they been proven guilty in a court of law ?

I can (just about) see the point of blurring faces before a conviction has been achieved. Based on the footage, I'm pretty sure they will be convicted. Once convicted, I believe it should be open season on that video.

I don't believe criminals deserve any privacy regarding their crimes. Not prejudicing a case is the primary reason I can see why this would be censored.

I think the system is so stacked in favour of the perpetrators rather than victims and the rest of society.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Like dashcams, the Gardai will soon encourage people to make a video record of all their sexual activity.

If these lazy bastards had their way they'd have people giving themselves speeding tickets and sit on their areas back at the station making life hard for someone trying to get a ****ing passport from signed. Nancy ****in drew can **** off back north for all the use he's been it didn't take him long to get into retirement mode and realise that here you can just coast till the pension entitlement is secured

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'd have gone at them swinging, most likely was a fake gun or if real they'd be too cowardly to pull the trigger. It is a bullet to the head that lowlife needs and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

The real issue here is how dodey DCC has gotten, I have been in it recently and the amount of scumbags knackers and junkies are nearly out numbering normal people it has gotten ridiculous I would be terrified as a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Dublin really is Dangerous.
    Here's a 'beautiful' Greenway I will never cycle or walk on.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/shocking-footage-shows-cyclist-repeatedly-17125449

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's nothing to do with GDPR, but that throwing it all over social media will prejudice any future trial by making it difficult to get an unbiased jury

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I’ve said it here over and over again. Zero accountability in this country for crimes. I cringe for any tourists visiting Dublin city centre. What a drug infested hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I would rather 100 innocent men were beaten with hurls than one guilty man go free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Suspended sentences all round. Hard up bringing very bright future ahead.., pathetic judiciary here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There needs to be a minimum of 10 years sentencing in these cases whether it's the real deal gun or not.

The scrote had a cigarette in his left hand, chances of it being a real gun would be unlikely, however the person being threatened didn't know this and such a threat should be taken as attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They were going to build Thornton Hall mega prison for the scrotes but the do gooders didn't want that. Now the judges are partially too lenient but also have no where to put them.

The perpetrators are the real victims here with society having failed them.

Sure wasn't there a program about the joy a few years back? - and very nice the cells where too IIRC. A home from home. Superior bed and breakfast.

Sure why not?

Imagine all the homeless children currently spending their childhood in hotels what issue is that going to cause in later life? I am deeply concerned to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It took ten minutes for the first unarmed Gardai to arrive

God help us if there is a terrorist attack in the city centre

The armed guards are all up at the scumbags houses protecting them from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

stevek93 wrote: »
    Imagine all the homeless children currently spending their childhood in hotels what issue is that going to cause in later life? I am deeply concerned to be honest.

Well the apple don't fall far from the tree, plenty houses in Leitrim, Donegal, Kerry and Roscommon etc, their parents or grandparents before them never worked and it is the same dole money they'd get in those counties. They just want to be near Johnno, Anto, Chardonnay and the boys, whilst doing a bit of robbin and get a free gaffe from the City Council. No self respecting or hard working person would subject themselves or children to homelessness when they have options, even emigration.

Advertisement