Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil Water Notice

Options
  • 22-10-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

A boil water notice has been issued. Apparently an issue with the Leixlip water treatment plant.

It was just on the tv news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Their website is down, but their twitter has a map of the affected area.
    Looks to be most of north Dublin & surrounds

https://twitter.com/IWCare/status/1186698394930167808

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Expect water shortages in shops... mad thing is Celtic Pute, that supplies a lot of own brand stuff, was hit by a recall notice yesterday.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

I reckon many people will be totally unaware of this notice.
    No real indication as to what levels of what substances could be int the supply or what harm it could do, especially to more vulnerable people (babies, pregnant etc...).

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Expect water shortages in shops... mad thing is Celtic Pute, that supplies a lot of own brand stuff, was hit by a recall notice yesterday.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

I reckon many people will be totally unaware of this notice.
    No real indication as to what levels of what substances could be int the supply or what harm it could do, especially to more vulnerable people (babies, pregnant etc...).

Could it be that Celtic Pure was just bottled tap water from the effected area's which is why its being recalled...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My mum just rang me to say there is no bottled water to buy in the Lidl or Tesco beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

gazzer wrote: »
    My mum just rang me to say there is no bottled water to buy in the Lidl or Tesco beside them.
    Where does she live?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭castle_lover

Thanks for the interactive map, I was close to the border of the other maps but when zoomed in it was distorted so at least you can see on an interactive map.

Lots of water in Tesco and Lidl in Prussia Street beside Cabra cause we got some there just in case, yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CucaFace wrote: »
    Could it be that Celtic Pure was just bottled tap water from the effected area's which is why its being recalled...

No, they are using the identified source on the bottle. It's just not a very good one...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think the boil water notice has been lifted...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/bail-water-notice-lifted-4867806-Oct2019/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What's the story with our water tanks? Will they hold the contaminated water? I'm no plumber, and I've a pregnant wife who's obviously not willing to take any chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What's the story with our water tanks? Will they hold the contaminated water? I'm no plumber, and I've a pregnant wife who's obviously not willing to take any chances.

I'm no plumber either but the water tank in attic is for toilet/showers and hot water...immersion will fill from that. She won't be drinking any of that.

Cold water tap in kitchen comes direct from mains.

She could wash her teeth in kitchen sink if worried about bathroom taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm no plumber either but the water tank in attic is for toilet/showers and hot water...immersion will fill from that. She won't be drinking any of that.

Cold water tap in kitchen comes direct from mains.

She could wash her teeth in kitchen sink if worried about bathroom taps.

Ah.. ok, thanks PC.

Same boil notice again just reissued.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Odd question. Are dogs immune to cryptosporidium or whatever it is? My mutt is spoiled enough without introducing her to Evian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

Collie D wrote: »
    Odd question. Are dogs immune to cryptosporidium or whatever it is? My mutt is spoiled enough without introducing her to Evian.

Yes they are. And even if not, why not do as they suggest and boil and cool water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Collie D wrote: »

No dogs are not immune. You need to offer her safe water, either bottled or boiled and cooled tap water.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Odelay wrote: »
    Yes they are. And even if not, why not do as they suggest and boil and cool water?

No they are not immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Irish water said on Twitter today that if your dishwasher doesn't heat the water to 82 degrees Celsius it's not safe to use during a boil water notice. Surely it's safer than handwashing dishes? Mine has a sterilise setting that only heats it to 70 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think dishwashers made in the past 30 years are allowed go that hot! Mine caps out at 65 and that bakes food on sometimes so I never use it that high normally.

• Advertisement

I noticed some places not selling tea or coffee.
    Why not if it's boiling water anyway?
    Or does it not boil it?

I saw earlier that many pubs have 'no tap water' notices up, so you need to buy bottled water if you want a drink or even drop with your whiskey.
    Could the pubs not have stocked up on a few 2 or 5L bottles from Aldi / Lidl and at least cover that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I noticed some places not selling tea or coffee.
    Why not if it's boiling water anyway?
    Or does it not boil it?

I saw earlier that many pubs have 'no tap water' notices up, so you need to buy bottled water if you want a drink or even drop with your whiskey.
    Could the pubs not have stocked up on a few 2 or 5L bottles from Aldi / Lidl and at least cover that cost?

You don't boil water for coffee. If you want to use the tap water for tea you need a 1 minute rolling boil. I assume when you boil water in a kettle for tea, you're not boiling it long enough to sanitize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

bren2001 wrote: »
    You don't boil water for coffee. If you want to use the tap water for tea you need a 1 minute rolling boil. I assume when you boil water in a kettle for tea, you're not boiling it long enough to sanitize it.

I doubt that. Both at home and in work through both boil water notices we have been drinking tea and coffee from a boiled kettle without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

adox wrote: »
    I doubt that. Both at home and in work through both boil water notices we have been drinking tea and coffee from a boiled kettle without issue.

Well the coffee bit is correct. You're not supposed to boil water for coffee as you burn the beans. It's also the reason I was given by a coffee shop during the last boil water notice.

For tea, the explanation makes sense. The guidelines from water.ie clearly state it should be a 1 minute rolling boil. I'm assuming kettle's don't boil water for a minute and is why shops won't serve it. I'd imagine most offices don't know that and is the reason why it's still in operation. Plenty of people using it for tea (myself included) and have suffered no issues but shops can't take that chance.

The 1 minute rolling boil information can be found here:
    https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/boil-water-notice/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Apparently a kettle is enough for boiling the water so tea should be fine - the Irish water website states water must be "brought a vigorous rolling boil (eg with an automatic kettle)".

But a lot of places use those Burco boilers that nearly always fail to boil properly - hence tea being disgusting from them anyway - so they couldn't stand over it being safe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This second boil water notice, affecting nearly all of North Dublin city and county, shows just how poorly managed and resourced our water treatment system is.

I wonder might it change some minds about the aborted water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This second boil water notice, affecting nearly all of North Dublin city and county, shows just how poorly managed and resourced our water treatment system is.

It wouldn't change mine as I have no expectation it would mean a better service at the end of the day, rather than feather bedding.
    Governments supposedly couldn't find money for essential funding of water services over decades but could magic up hundreds of millions for meters...

If people make it a priority on the door steps come election time, politicians will take note when it comes to funding from taxation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

JupiterKid wrote: »

Be great if it did, but argument (already made above) is "shure they just waste our money anyway"..."useless civil/public serpents" etc etc.
    Unfortunately there is some justification to that but it is a chicken and egg situation. The whole water supply and treatment system for Dublin is (obviously) in a mess with multiple issues that need fixing if you judge it by standards of a city in a wealthy 1st world country. This disgrace is just latest manifestation. It needs massive investment and money for that has to to come from somewhere.

edit: I wonder if this will last quite a bit longer than previous notice. Messages being given out this time are not encouraging. It sounds like the plant literally cannot purify the (too cloudy?) source water it is receiving at the moment as opposed to their being any fault in the plant that could be fixed somehow. Could be just me being gloomy/pessimistic...

Heavy rain forecast on Thursday so I doubt the notice will be lifted for a few days after it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement