Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil water notice affecting D15

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Officially, they're saying no dishwashers can be used unless it gets to 82 degrees.

https://twitter.com/IWCare/status/1191767355027853312

Wow, I am hoping that is just over kill or for infants/sick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Wow, I am hoping that is just over kill or for infants/sick

I don't know, I know a couple of healthy people who were badly affected by the last boil notice, sick for a week from it. I'm not taking any chances

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Wow, I don't remember them saying this for any other notice before, the water must be really bad. And we just wash dishes by hand, didn't know about any of this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mine is an older one only gets to 70c :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mine is brand new, only a few weeks. Ran it on the sanitising cycle last night even though that only gets to 70 degrees. Haven't the time to be handwashing things and they never feel as clean to me anyway.

• Advertisement

Basically you have to scorch them.

They really are very poor at getting information out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Read through the thread but left wondering if I missed exactly what's in the water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Read through the thread but left wondering if I missed exactly what's in the water ?

Nothing specific, just that the old water plant that they had to put into action cannot be guaranteed to be cleaning the water to the required level.

It is precautionary as far as i am aware but maybe someone has seen some tests that have indicated otherwise. I know there was a problem with "cloudy" water due to the amount of rain but have not seem any mention of that causing a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

Just looked at my dishwasher instructions, a recent Miele, and the washes are 45-65C (sensor programme depending on soil level)

Intensive 75C

The gentle cycles are lower temp.

Final rinse is 65C on most cycles

Seems logical though as a lot of domestic items are plastic and mightn't survive an extremely hot cycle. Not very much would survive the main wash because of the detergents involved. They're a mixture of strong surfactants etc, multiple enzymes and usually peroxide based bleach. They're a lot more full on than fairy liquid, which is just surfactants.

However, if the water is contaminated, the final rinses will be using it at 65C without any detergents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Anybody that’s washing dishes by hand with a functional dishwasher needs their head examined. Seriously. You’re washing the bloody things and they go through a dry (heat) cycle. Bone dry on exit. Or are they afraid of trace residue? It’s BS. And scaremongering at best.

• Advertisement

I think you're back to why the water needs to be boiled in the first place, and not just hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ihatewhahabies

Was in the Parnell Mooney , lunchtime. I was told that they were not serving tap water as there was a boil notice issued. I work O'Connell st and decided to query this as we had no such restrictions for tap water. Initially I was told the Government recommended not to use tap water, when I pursued this I was told it was the pub's policy.....A scam in my view to sell bottled water, am I wrong to be so cynical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

They go through a dry cycle which is spraying them with 65C fresh water and then letting the residual heat in the dishes air dry them. Modern dishwashers often use things like condensation drying.

Mine basically has a tank of water behind the inner walls of the machine. To dry it rinses I'm 65C water then fills the tank with cold water and starts a fan. The residual heat in the dishes evaporates most of the water an that hits the cooler walls of the machine and condenses.

They seem a lot hotter than they are, because they're spraying 60+C water which creates a lot of steam if you open the door kis cycle.

If you're using them with clean water, the long, relatively hot mid cycle with all of the detergents, enzymes and bleach will kill absolutely anything but then you're dumping in dirty water from the contaminated mains at the end and only heating to 65C. If the water contains cryptosporidium spores, that won't kill them. Simple as. There's no scaremongering involved. That temp will kill most bacteria and viruses but it won't reliably kill spores. That's why they're being so technical in the temperature requirements.

Likewise, unless your hot water heating is set to some dangerously high temperature, it won't be hot enough to reliably kill them either. The long time at 60+C might but, it's not entirely guaranteed.

Irish Water are just covering their own rears by giving the very absolute boil water notice.

Was in the Parnell Mooney , lunchtime. I was told that they were not serving tap water as there was a boil notice issued. I work O'Connell st and decided to query this as we had no such restrictions for tap water. Initially I was told the Government recommended not to use tap water, when I pursued this I was told it was the pub's policy.....A scam in my view to sell bottled water, am I wrong to be so cynical

Yes.

If they are still doing it a month after the notice is lifted. If it's lifted.. Then maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

At least ye have it to boil :p

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1192093727700979712?s=20

Burst water main in Willows, Hartstown and it was accompanied by an unmerciful smell of gas in the air outside strong enough to be coming into the house and car too. Great craic eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 D.Wilmott

Fingers crossed this notice is lifted tomorrow but there seems to be plenty of 2L and 5L still spring water bottles left in the local Aldi , LIDL and tesco stores for anyone wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

D.Wilmott wrote: »
    Fingers crossed this notice is lifted tomorrow but there seems to be plenty of 2L and 5L still spring water bottles left in the local Aldi , LIDL and tesco stores for anyone wondering.

Lidl in tyrellstown and aldi in mulhuddart had only small multipack of bottles no 2 litre or 5 litre this morning. Plenty of 2 litre flavoured water in aldi

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Notice lifted

Boil water notice for 600,000 people in Dublin, Kildare and Meath lifted with immediate effect https://jrnl.ie/4887887

Advertisement