Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bereavement leave query

• 22-10-2019 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭

If, say, a sister or brother (three day leave) passes away at 0600 on a Friday when are you to return to work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

bobbyss wrote: »
    If, say, a sister or brother (three day leave) passes away at 0600 on a Friday when are you to return to work?

You get three days leave , must be taken immediately- so back on the Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Officially its Fri Sat sun but no one questions the Mon, Tues, Wed. That's assuming the Fri is taken as a sick day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I find the circular outlining this confusing.

If your sister dies at 0600 on a Friday I would take Friday as my first day. My understanding is that you are entitled to three consecutive days off. Meaning Fri, Mon and Tue. Back on Wed. Am I wrong?

I don't quite understand your reference to a Friday being taken ss a 'sick day'. What if you already have used up your sick day entitlement?

In short, are weekends included in bereavement leave? I am also not clear, according to the circular, when the leave actually begins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Weekends are included. I’ve been in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

TheDriver wrote: »
    Officially its Fri Sat sun but no one questions the Mon, Tues, Wed. That's assuming the Fri is taken as a sick day.

Other staff members may have thought so, but in my case the “extra” days were sick leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

If your brother or sister passed away.

Would you still be so worried about the consequences of missing a week from work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Its five days for immediate family

Daisy 55 wrote:
    Weekends are included. I’ve been in that situation.

OK. The circular isn't clear on that. It doesn't mention weekends as far as i know.
    So in my scenario I would be expected back on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,642 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can’t believe any manager would be so tight on this stuff. Nor that colleagues would care either.

Seriously I had a guy ring yesterday his wife was admitted for emergency surgery and I gave him two weeks there and then and we will sort it when he returns with a combination of leave and hours worked back over a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

_Brian wrote: »
    I can’t believe any manager would be so tight on this stuff. Nor that colleagues would care either.

Seriously I had a guy ring yesterday his wife was admitted for emergency surgery and I gave him two weeks there and then and we will sort it when he returns with a combination of leave and hours worked back over a few months.

Pity more Principals weren’t like this !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

bobbyss wrote: »

5 days - Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.
    Back to work Wednesday.

Our wages are based over 7 days not 5 days so I do think Saturday and Sunday are included in this case.

Say if something else on the Friday was keyed in on the system then you might get away with Mon-Fri for bereavement leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Friday could be taken as a self certified sick day or family illness leave and enter the bereavement leave to start from Monday and run to Friday the following week.
    It's shocking how short bereavement leave is for immediate family

_Brian wrote:

_Brian wrote:

Isn't it strange that a circular can be so misunderstood? Some say you're back on Monday. Some say Friday. Some Wednesday.

As a Principal or Deputy Principal, and leaving sentiment behind, what leave days are you entitled to for the scenario outlined in the first post? Assuming you take the Friday off, that's one day gone. You are left with two. Sat and Sun and back on Monday?

For the guy in your school who was given two weeks, what class of leave does that come under?

And colleagues do care about how many days are given for bereavement leave. I would not be a happy camper if one colleague was given more time off than another for similar bereavements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

_Brian wrote: »

But you have that flexibility. We may have compassionate and understanding and colleageality but we don't have a capacity to hire a replacement unless it's an approved leave.

Advertisement