Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you register a new car this late in the year?

• 22-10-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Long story short I ordered a new car from a main dealer last April. Salesman was reasonably confident of a July delivery but if it ran in to August/September it was no big deal. Its now 22nd October and no sign of the car.

Salesman thinks it may ship from Germany next Thursday which would mean delivery in the first week on November.

Our trade in was a PCP which we have not had to make any payments on since late July. Its now due a service since end of August.

My concern is that it is getting a bit late to be registering a car in November. At this stage we would prefer to wait until January but salesman is insisting that car must be registered when it is delivered.

He says that he gave a trade in price based on July 2019 figures and if it goes to 2020 he will have a difficulty. I suggested that if he wanted our trade in (low mileage well specced car) we would give it to him and we would take whatever he had as a runabout till January.

I don't want to be awkward but it goes against the grain to be registering a car this late in the year. Is it unreasonable to insist on a January delivery at this stage?

Comments

I’m in near the same boat (ordered in March) and it’s due this month, apparently (:rolleyes:). I’m that sick of waiting that I’m going to take it as soon as it arrives and luckily they say they’re still taking my car with the 30,000 extra km on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

I’m in near the same boat (ordered in March) and it’s due this month, apparently (:rolleyes:). I’m that sick of waiting that I’m going to take it as soon as it arrives and luckily they say they’re still taking my car with the 30,000 extra km on it.

In fairness they agreed a price for your trade in so they would have known roughly how many km you would be putting on it. It's not your fault that delivery is taking 8 months and they realistically are committed to taking your car assuming the miles are consistent with previous use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Realistically the car has a manufacturing date and a first registration date and both are what they are. The rest is just cosmetics/snobbery, no? I've been 'unlucky' with both my current and my previous car. Current is June 21, previous was December 20, couldn't have cared less.

That's a fine sentiment CF and I also couldn't care less what the reg plate says. However when I go to trade the car in in 3 years time the salesman and the future buyer most certainly will and there is no way around that. A 192 car will be worth a fair bit less than a 201 car of identical spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

In effect if you got the car in July it would be a 192 with mileage. Now you are getting a 192 with zero mileage, so you are no worse off, in fact you are benefiting from zero mileage so have a more valuable car. You are probably then being unfair insisting on a Jan reg. However on the other hand who wouldn't like the new reg? Remember though if you break the deal, he could keep the car till Jan and sell it at a higher price , while offering you a lower price for the trade in because it's now a year older. And if there is that long wait, he'll have no problem selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

veetwin wrote: »
    That's a fine sentiment CF and I also couldn't care less what the reg plate says. However when I go to trade the car in in 3 years time the salesman and the future buyer most certainly will and there is no way around that. A 192 car will be worth a fair bit less than a 201 car of identical spec.

Can you use that arguement when you had already done the deal initially for a 192 car?

We are still over 2 months to the end of the year. If we were two or three weeks, I think it'd be reasonable to ask, but not in October, personally.

Are they freezing your payments in the interim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ok, didn't think of that. Tend to drive my cars for longer than that. Previous for 13 years, current who knows.

I mean you could have a 192 late December and a 201 early Jan, there is no difference in the cars. Would the reg plate alone make such a difference ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

After a few years it wont make a difference in price if the car is a 191 or 192 but I think it would if it was a 192 or 201

PsychoPete wrote: »
    After a few years it wont make a difference in price if the car is a 191 or 192 but I think it would if it was a 192 or 201

However the OP didn't buy a 201 car, he actually bought a 192 and that is what he is being supplied. He would be lucky if they hadn't delivered till January but as it stands he is not at any loss whatsoever. He does benefit from free mileage while waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

OP I'm assuming if that's registered after January 1st you will have to pay for NOx emissions too?

• Advertisement

Ok, didn't think of that. Tend to drive my cars for longer than that. Previous for 13 years, current who knows.

I mean you could have a 192 late December and a 201 early Jan, there is no difference in the cars. Would the reg plate alone make such a difference ye?

As I said I couldn't care less about the reg plate, its the future trade in value is my only concern. The day you buy is the day you sell.

Can you use that arguement when you had already done the deal initially for a 192 car?

We are still over 2 months to the end of the year. If we were two or three weeks, I think it'd be reasonable to ask, but not in October, personally.

Are they freezing your payments in the interim?

It was a 3 year PCP agreement which ended in August. The car we are trading in is effectively VW's. We have had free use of it though since then and until the new car is delivered.

michellie wrote: »
    OP I'm assuming if that's registered after January 1st you will have to pay for NOx emissions too?

I didn't think about that to be honest. Car is a petrol so not sure how much we would be liable for.

It was a 3 year PCP agreement which ended in August. The car we are trading in is effectively VW's. We have had free use of it though since then and until the new car is delivered.

Yeah, that weakens your position dramatically though doesn't it?

Yeah, that weakens your position dramatically though doesn't it?

Yeah I get that. If fairness the salesman/dealership have been sound and it's definitely not in their interest that the delivery is delayed. If the car is delivered in the next two weeks we will be happy enough. However is the delivery is pushed back to mid-late November or beyond we may need to re-assess.

Thanks all for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Are you sure about that?

You should have been set up on a bridging loan or a refinance option, they can’t just “freeze” the payments and let you keep the car, you should be still paying something monthly.

Unless the garage paid it off for you, which I also highly doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yeah I get that. If fairness the salesman/dealership have been sound and it's definitely not in their interest that the delivery is delayed. If the car is delivered in the next two weeks we will be happy enough. However is the delivery is pushed back to mid-late November or beyond we may need to re-assess.

Thanks all for the replies.

id definitely investigate the PCP scenario, i doubt theyre just letting you drive round in a car for free.

That said If I ordered a car and it came in after november 15th id gladly let it sit there till january for the extra tradein value at the end. we're still early but 45 days would be well worth the extra value.

Are you sure about that?

You should have been set up on a bridging loan or a refinance option, they can’t just “freeze” the payments and let you keep the car, you should be still paying something monthly.

Unless the garage paid it off for you, which I also highly doubt.

Definitely no bridging loan or refinance option and we have not paid anything since August. My understanding is everything is frozen until we enter a new PCP.

It was never envisaged a gap of this length would occur as we ordered and agreed terms in good time for delivery on expiration of the original agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Water2626262

Long story short I ordered a new car from a main dealer last April. Salesman was reasonably confident of a July delivery but if it ran in to August/September it was no big deal. Its now 22nd October and no sign of the car.

Salesman thinks it may ship from Germany next Thursday which would mean delivery in the first week on November.

Our trade in was a PCP which we have not had to make any payments on since late July. Its now due a service since end of August.

My concern is that it is getting a bit late to be registering a car in November. At this stage we would prefer to wait until January but salesman is insisting that car must be registered when it is delivered.

He says that he gave a trade in price based on July 2019 figures and if it goes to 2020 he will have a difficulty. I suggested that if he wanted our trade in (low mileage well specced car) we would give it to him and we would take whatever he had as a runabout till January.

I don't want to be awkward but it goes against the grain to be registering a car this late in the year. Is it unreasonable to insist on a January delivery at this stage?

Not sure about VW bank but a lot of finance houses will extend your PCP by up to 3 months for this exact scenario. Salesman might be bluffing you. Maybe they are behind on targets for 2019. I’d contact VW bank directly and explain that you have an order in but you don’t want a 192 reg. Ask them for a 3 month extension. Other finance houses do it and they maintain the same monthly repayments for the extended period (which deduct off the GMFV). I’d even try and track down the Vw bank rep who covers your area and get on to them about your situation.

PCPs are on 37 month terms and not everyone buys in January so it’s very common. Also the replacement cars can get delayed too so they do have flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Water2626262

Not sure about VW bank but a lot of finance houses will extend your PCP by up to 3 months for this exact scenario. Salesman might be bluffing you. Maybe they are behind on targets for 2019. I’d contact VW bank directly and explain that you have an order in but you don’t want a 192 reg. Ask them for a 3 month extension. Other finance houses do it and they maintain the same monthly repayments for the extended period (which deduct off the GMFV). I’d even try and track down the Vw bank rep who covers your area and get on to them about your situation.

PCPs are on 37 month terms and not everyone buys in January so it’s very common. Also the replacement cars can get delayed too so they do have flexibility.

Sorry only half read this! Misread it as not being allowed extend PCP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldn't register it til new year.
    It is nice to have a new reg for a few months at least.
    Dealer is being ok it seems but Id go so far as throwing a few quid extra into the deal to wait til January to register it.
    You get your new car then straight away in January.
    I'm sure you are free to walk away from the entire deal given the delay in delivery so dealer would be left with a car that wouldn't get sold til January anyway then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it a Golf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Don’t register it this late. I wouldn’t dream of it any later than early October. We’re into Christmas in a matter of weeks. Your 6 week old car is “a year old” on Jan 1st and don’t let any salesman try to talk you round otherwise. It’s you that will lose out.

If as Bazz says, it’s a Golf, even worse. MK8 is imminent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

No idea why people get worked out about this. Take it when you get it and reg it then, whatever is on it is on it.
    The fact we blatantly have the year displayed in the reg code has made it an obsession with Irish people. It baffles me why it matters so much.

As I said I couldn't care less about the reg plate, its the future trade in value is my only concern. The day you buy is the day you sell.

Typical Irish attitude to everything, buy something and the resale value is the first thing they think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We bought a 152 car in the first half of this year. From a Dealer. Was registered in Dec 2015. It had low mileage for it's age but was cheaper than similar 161 cars with more mileage that we also viewed.
    We tend to keep cars long term. The one it was replacing was almost 14 years old.

terrydel wrote: »
    No idea why people get worked out about this. Take it when you get it and reg it then, whatever is on it is on it.
    The fact we blatantly have the year displayed in the reg code has made it an obsession with Irish people. It baffles me why it matters so much.
    Typical Irish attitude to everything, buy something and the resale value is the first thing they think of.

That's far easier to say when your buying bangernomics cars for a few grand but when your dropping the likes of 30k on a brand new car at this time of year, registering it now instead of in just over 2 months time can result in a few grand extra lost in depreciation because it's a 2019 car and not a 2020.

Baffling? How so? It is pretty straightforward. The powers that be back in 1987 thought this was the way to go and we've been stuck with it since. Yes it ages a car prematurely and yes it does make people obsess about the plate, but no one more so than the dealers when you go to trade that car back in. Your car will be priced on that first few digits on the plate. Everything else is secondary. On a 40k+ car that you see yourself only keeping for 2-4 years, this matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's far easier to say when your buying bangernomics cars for a few grand but when your dropping the likes of 30k on a brand new car at this time of year, registering it now instead of in just over 2 months time can result in a few grand extra lost in depreciation because it's a 2019 car and not a 2020.

My 172 was registered around now, and there will be zero extra depreciation.

Because it'll be worth zero when I am finished with it. The last car had 10 years and 400,000 km on it.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Baffling? How so? It is pretty straightforward. The powers that be back in 1987 thought this was the way to go and we've been stuck with it since. Yes it ages a car prematurely and yes it does make people obsess about the plate, but no one more so than the dealers when you go to trade that car back in. Your car will be priced on that first few digits on the plate. Everything else is secondary. On a 40k+ car that you see yourself only keeping for 2-4 years, this matters.

Maybe people need to stop commodifying everything they buy and treating it as an asset rather than something functional first and foremost.
    If you are buying a car at that price and selling it in 2-4 then what are you complaining about as that is the period of the highest depreciation regardless of number plate system, and you are willingly deciding to take that hit. Especially as it is selling well before the functional life of the car is over. No sympathy.

As I said in my previous post, the biggest depreciation is in years 1-3, if you are selling in that period or soon after, the vast majority of the loss you incur is down to your own choice, regardless of number plate system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JoeA3 wrote: »

We've always had age related plates, the difference was that it took about 3 seconds to figure out what age a car was pre 87 vs just glancing post 87. We always valued the year over the condition, why do you think people drove with "For Reg" for years.

Maybe people need to stop commodifying everything they buy and treating it as an asset rather than something functional first and foremost.
    If you are buying a car at that price and selling it in 2-4 then what are you complaining about as that is the period of the highest depreciation regardless of number plate system, and you are willingly deciding to take that hit. Especially as it is selling well before the functional life of the car is over. No sympathy.

Fair play Terry, it sounds like you've got it all worked out.

My 172 was registered around now, and there will be zero extra depreciation.

Because it'll be worth zero when I am finished with it. The last car had 10 years and 400,000 km on it.

But not everyone keeps their car until it's worthless.

As I said in my previous post, the biggest depreciation is in years 1-3, if you are selling in that period or soon after, the vast majority of the loss you incur is down to your own choice, regardless of number plate system.

The number plate system is what it is. We all know every car suffers from depreciation but how much depreciation it suffered can be controlled to an extent by not registering a new car with only 2 months of they calendar year to go. Whether we like it or not car depreciation as a whole is measured by the age of the car in terms of year of registration. So if the OP registers the car now it will be a 2019 car and if he decides to sell it in 2022 it will be valued as a 3 year old car, not a 2 years and 2 months old car. If he waits another 2 months then the car will be only 2 years old when selling it and worth more than if it were a 2019 reg.

The number plate system is what it is. We all know every car suffers from depreciation but how much depreciation it suffered can be controlled to an extent by not registering a new car with only 2 months of they calendar year to go. Whether we like it or not car depreciation as a whole is measured by the age of the car in terms of year of registration. So if the OP registers the car now it will be a 2019 car and if he decides to sell it in 2022 it will be valued as a 3 year old car, not a 2 years and 2 months old car. If he waits another 2 months then the car will be only 2 years old when selling it and worth more than if it were a 2019 reg.

I think you're missing the fact here that the car op bought is a 192 car not a 201. They are getting what they bought although later but with no mileage compared to if they had got it when the deal was done. If they hold out till 201, then it's a new deal as the trade in is now worth less also both because it is a year older and it has more mileage done, thus may expect to pay more for the 201.

• Advertisement

I get your point, but if he sells after 3 years, the vast majority of that depreciation comes from their choice to sell at that point not the decision over when to register it.

I get your point, but if he sells after 3 years, the vast majority of that depreciation comes from their choice to sell at that point not the decision over when to register it.

terrydel you clearly have totally missed the point of this whole thread as can be seen by the daft contributions you have taken the time to make.

To the rest of the contributors thanks for your constructive insights. The thread was never intended to debate the economics of buying new and selling old but rather to garner views from those with first hand experience in the whole mechanics of PCP.

Personally PCP suits our situation - we get to drive a nice new high spec car with only an annual service to worry about. Monthly payments are very reasonable. We never have to worry about tyres, brake pads or other consumables or indeed any unexpected repair bills. In return we give back to the dealer an immaculate low mileage high spec car with low mileage for which we get a better than average trade in against the next car.

To not consider future trade in value would be stupid in the extreme hence the whole point of the thread.

terrydel you clearly have totally missed the point of this whole thread as can be seen by the daft contributions you have taken the time to make.

To the rest of the contributors thanks for your constructive insights. The thread was never intended to debate the economics of buying new and selling old but rather to garner views from those with first hand experience in the whole mechanics of PCP.

Personally PCP suits our situation - we get to drive a nice new high spec car with only an annual service to worry about. Monthly payments are very reasonable. We never have to worry about tyres, brake pads or other consumables or indeed any unexpected repair bills. In return we give back to the dealer an immaculate low mileage high spec car with low mileage for which we get a better than average trade in against the next car.

To not consider future trade in value would be stupid in the extreme hence the whole point of the thread.

Ah well, comments were all in good faith, your insulting response shows I shouldn't have bothered.
    There's nothing daft about highlighting the fact buying something at full price and selling it at a massive loss when it's not necessary isn't the smartest idea.
    Best of luck.

terrydel are you saying this was a constructive informed post?

terrydel are you saying this was a constructive informed post?
    Yes, I believe it's relevant to the topic. Its a very irish attitude imho which does no good.
    Sorry mate, I gave opinion in good faith as I always do on here.
    If you want to insult me further take it to pm.

• Advertisement

Just FYI if it is with Vw bank there is absolutely no scenario where you should be paying no money.

You should either being paying a bridging loan, a refinance loan or already have a direct debit for the full balance sent for.

Something is definitely wrong and worth investigating.

Just FYI if it is with Vw bank there is absolutely no scenario where you should be paying no money.

You should either being paying a bridging loan, a refinance loan or already have a direct debit for the full balance sent for.

Something is definitely wrong and worth investigating.

Hi LM

It is with VW Bank and we are definitely not paying anything nor have we received any request/demand for anything. Don't know if it's in my interest to investigate though!

Hi LM

It is with VW Bank and we are definitely not paying anything nor have we received any request/demand for anything. Don't know if it's in my interest to investigate though!

Well it is, because if they sent for the GMFV (the balloon payment) and it was sent back unpaid, and you haven’t contacted them (The onus is on you, not the dealer as the contract is with Vw Bank, not them) it will have effected your credit rating.

Well it is, because if they sent for the GMFV (the balloon payment) and it was sent back unpaid, and you haven’t contacted them (The onus is on you, not the dealer as the contract is with Vw Bank, not them) it will have effected your credit rating.

Thanks LM, I will contact them first thing to make sure all is ok.

I think a possible mistake being made here (and I dont know if this is or isn't the case) but is it actually the OP's decision to make to hold off for 201 if its something they may want?

Sure they can pull out of the deal if it doesn't suit them but that's a whole other can of worms.

I think a possible mistake being made here (and I dont know if this is or isn't the case) but is it actually the OP's decision to make to hold off for 201 if its something they may want?

Sure they can pull out of the deal if it doesn't suit them but that's a whole other can of worms.

To be fair what ever offer the OP might have gotten more than like won’t be the same for January, cars have gone up in price and APRs have changed. Also his trade in will go down, plus he’ll be paying interest on the bridging loan.

Anyway, that part is between the OP and the dealer.

Any loss of value on the trade in will be tiny versus the loss in buying a car that will immediately be devalued as a year old car.
    I would refuse the deal, no ifs or buts. Id also be happy to talk about paying some extra cash to cover depreciation of the trade in etc of taking janiary delivery but no chance would i register a car in november.
    Ive seen before when within the family, a zero mile pre reg was bought for very good price in october. There was a few thousand knocked off but it really killed its value when trading in 3 years later.
    It wasnt so bad due to having got the discount day 1 but taking a new factory order and registering in november is nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I would have thought that if you insist on waiting until January to reg the car then it is only fair of the dealer to reprice the deal.
    your trade in will be worth less and I assume the goodwill the dealer appears to be giving you by not having you pay for your current car will disappear too and they would be within their rights by insisting you refinance the current car.
    It could get messy and what you gain by a 2020 reg might cost you in car payments on current car, reduced trade in value and higher apr on next car.

I would suspect that as soon as you walk away from the deal, they will lump the missing payments against the value of the trade in. I doubt cars gain or lose many 'ooo based on few months. I had one registered on October 31st some years ago and 5 years later all that mattered was the mileage. And I'm not trade!

Iodine1 wrote: »
    I would suspect that as soon as you walk away from the deal, they will lump the missing payments against the value of the trade in. I doubt cars gain or lose many 'ooo based on few months. I had one registered on October 31st some years ago and 5 years later all that mattered was the mileage. And I'm not trade!

It all depends on how long the op tends to keep the car. Im guaranteeing you that if they are on pcp and planning to trade in again in 3 years, that october / november registered car will kill the deal dead in terms of having an depoait to go forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement