Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you register a new car this late in the year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

mickdw wrote: »
    It all depends on how long the op tends to keep the car. Im guaranteeing you that if they are on pcp and planning to trade in again in 3 years, that october / november registered car will kill the deal dead in terms of having an depoait to go forward.

Yes as previously stated we are on a PCP which obviously means re-sale vale is a big concern - hence the worry about registering the new car this late in the year.

Spoke to the salesman again today and unfortunately he still can't say when the car will be shipped or delivered.

Giving serious consideration at this stage to paying the final payment and walking away and maybe order the new Mk 8 due early 2020. We would lose the deposit but it might be more prudent to do that rather than get a nasty shock in 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

veetwin wrote: »
    Yes as previously stated we are on a PCP which obviously means re-sale vale is a big concern - hence the worry about registering the new car this late in the year.

Spoke to the salesman again today and unfortunately he still can't say when the car will be shipped or delivered.

Giving serious consideration at this stage to paying the final payment and walking away and maybe order the new Mk 8 due early 2020. We would lose the deposit but it might be more prudent to do that rather than get a nasty shock in 3 years.

To be honest it was madness buying a car that is due to be replaced so soon anyway.
    I'd walk away from this one putting the blame squarely on the unacceptably delayed delivery.

To be honest it was madness buying a car that is due to be replaced so soon anyway.
    I'd walk away from this one putting the blame squarely on the unacceptably delayed delivery.

TBF it was ordered April 2019 for July delivery which we were told was in good time so I don't know if I agree that it was "madness"

It looks like Mk8 deliveries will be April 2020 at the very earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

So you’ve been waiting 6 months for a car with no end to the wait in sight and it’s a car that’s about to be replaced by an all new model?

I would strongly advise to walk away, pay off your current car and assess your options again in the Spring. The MK8 will be out by then. It was unveiled yesterday and while it’s evolutionary rather than revolutionary in typical VW style, it’s still likely a big step forward and your new car will feel old much sooner than it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What car is it op?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What car is it op?

Golf 1.5tsi DSG Highline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is it worth importing from uk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Has the dealer said if the delay is due to the WLTP issues? I believe many VAG engines took ages to get certified for the new more stringent emissions. Not that it makes any difference to your dilemma one way or another.

TBF it was ordered April 2019 for July delivery which we were told was in good time so I don't know if I agree that it was "madness"

It looks like Mk8 deliveries will be April 2020 at the very earliest.
    Well you were buying an end of line model so that was never going to end well at 3 year. Going back with an old model plus it being on a year older plate is guaranteeing that you would lose you shirt.
    Salesman knows the score. He doesn't want to get stuck with an old model in early 2020. He wouldn't register it in November if it was his own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

So slightly different picture now with new info:
    It's actually quite possible that the car won't arrive till new year anyway?
    Then it's do you want current model now or next one in April?
    Remember when new model is launched there will be immediately a waiting list, not just Ireland but abroad. And LHD usually get priority! So I doubt you will have one before next July. If car arrives in Dec, I expect dealer will give you the 201 reg as he wont want it. But remember plenty of people will want car in January and it sounds like this model won't be available, so it will sell easy enough.
    I'm thinking this is not much help, but I really feel sorry for your dilemma, after waiting so long, and still no delivery date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Iodine1 wrote: »
    So slightly different picture now with new info:
    It's actually quite possible that the car won't arrive till new year anyway?
    Then it's do you want current model now or next one in April?
    Remember when new model is launched there will be immediately a waiting list, not just Ireland but abroad. And LHD usually get priority! So I doubt you will have one before next July. If car arrives in Dec, I expect dealer will give you the 201 reg as he wont want it. But remember plenty of people will want car in January and it sounds like this model won't be available, so it will sell easy enough.
    I'm thinking this is not much help, but I really feel sorry for your dilemma, after waiting so long, and still no delivery date.

They’ll be available quickly enough. The MK7 was unveiled around the same time of year in 2012. It was generally available here in early ‘13 and the first GTI’s were here by July (I had one of the first).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

wanting to keep the deal until 2020 so you can benefit when you trade it in is a bit greedy really. The Dealer would be quite within his rights to re-negotiate the deal in that circumstance I feel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It'd make no odds to me. I dont see the car as an asset and never though about resale value when buying one.

Isambard wrote: »
    wanting to keep the deal until 2020 so you can benefit when you trade it in is a bit greedy really. The Dealer would be quite within his rights to re-negotiate the deal in that circumstance I feel.

Us let the dealer re price it but if it doesn't make sense leave it behind. The op didn't order the car for November delivery so it's not the deal that was on the table for them either.

It'd make no odds to me. I dont see the car as an asset and never though about resale value when buying one.

That's ok but the simple facts when intending to swap it again at 3 years are that it does make a difference.
    Going back with a car on an older plate and it being a old model could easily mean 5k difference in trade in offer compared to a current model on a newer plate.
    So taking the example where trading in the newer model with the newer plate would allow a new Pcp in 3 year time with the same monthly payment without coming up with any extra deposit (The idea situation), going back with the other car would mean having to throw 5k at the deal of add circa 150 per month to the repayment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's ok but the simple facts when intending to swap it again at 3 years are that it does make a difference.
    Going back with a car on an older plate and it being a old model could easily mean 5k difference in trade in offer compared to a current model on a newer plate.
    So taking the example where trading in the newer model with the newer plate would allow a new Pcp in 3 year time with the same monthly payment without coming up with any extra deposit (The idea situation), going back with the other car would mean having to throw 5k at the deal of add circa 150 per month to the repayment.

That's not something I'll be worried about. And to be honest, I find it odd that people are banking on resale value, to justify the cost of a new car.

Isambard wrote: »

So the dealer agrees a deal in April in good time for a July delivery and 7 months later still no car nor any prospect of one and I'm greedy:confused:

That's not something I'll be worried about. And to be honest, I find it odd that people are banking on resale value, to justify the cost of a new car.

That's fine and dandy but obviously as this is a PCP agreement re-sale value is a fairly big component of the deal.

That's fine and dandy but obviously as this is a PCP agreement re-sale value is a fairly big component of the deal.

The PCP agreement makes that dependant on your usage of it. And means it doesnt matter when the car was registered as you're in a contract anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The PCP agreement makes that dependant on your usage of it. And means it doesnt matter when the car was registered as you're in a contract anyway.

It impacts the OP's equity in the car at the end of the PCP agreement though if they chose to roll over to another new car and PCP deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone else think the chaps in the Tesla thread are a bit bonkers registering all these cars in November/December. I understand they're been waiting ages to get them but personally I'd wait a few weeks and get the new plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

7 month wait for a feckin old spec golf ....

personally i would walk on this one , i think its beyond taking the mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anyone else think the chaps in the Tesla thread are a bit bonkers registering all these cars in November/December. I understand they're been waiting ages to get them but personally I'd wait a few weeks and get the new plate.

Aren't they doing it because the tax is increasing on company cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

DaDumTish wrote: »
    7 month wait for a feckin old spec golf ....

personally i would walk on this one , i think its beyond taking the mick

See walking isn't really a viable option as they are in a PCP.

"Walking" would literally mean walking away from the dealership in this scenario, hand back the keys and goodbye and before they walk they'll have to fix up for the last 5 months of free use of the car they are currently in. Either that or they'll have to fix up for the balloon payment to pull out of the deal.

It's not really an "old" spec Golf either, it's still the current model and the Mk8 is at least 6 months out. Nothing wrong with a fully loaded, tried and tested run out model either, as opposed to an entirely new model where everything is an option again. It's not like the arse is going to fall out of a decent spec Mk7.5 Golf as soon as the 8 arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Del2005 wrote: »
    Aren't they doing it because the tax is increasing on company cars?

Some I'd say not all. Tbh i'd pay the tax, I think the extra depreciation on the reg being a 192 vs 201 will be more than they'll save.

See walking isn't really a viable option as they are in a PCP.

"Walking" would literally mean walking away from the dealership in this scenario, hand back the keys and goodbye and before they walk they'll have to fix up for the last 5 months of free use of the car they are currently in. Either that or they'll have to fix up for the balloon payment to pull out of the deal.

It's not really an "old" spec Golf either, it's still the current model and the Mk8 is at least 6 months out. Nothing wrong with a fully loaded, tried and tested run out model either, as opposed to an entirely new model where everything is an option again. It's not like the arse is going to fall out of a decent spec Mk7.5 Golf as soon as the 8 arrives.

You've pretty much summed it up there..."walking away" isn't really a viable option. The nub of the issue is do I have any grounds to stand on to delay the registration of the new car if and when it finally arrives given that VW/the dealers made a promise of a 12 week delivery and have failed in this.

Maybe not if the car was delivered in October but if it took until the 1st December that would hardly be unreasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It could be like the people queuing up overnight outside the Apple Store to be the first to get their hands on the latest iPhone. Got to be one of the first... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some I'd say not all. Tbh i'd pay the tax, I think the extra depreciation on the reg being a 192 vs 201 will be more than they'll save.

The company is paying so they don't care. Depreciation is all a company worries about.

You've pretty much summed it up there..."walking away" isn't really a viable option. The nub of the issue is do I have any grounds to stand on to delay the registration of the new car if and when it finally arrives given that VW/the dealers made a promise of a 12 week delivery and have failed in this.

Maybe not if the car was delivered in October but if it took until the 1st December that would hardly be unreasonable?

That's the core of the issues there. If you're not in a position to walk away then you have little bargaining power. Come December your asking for the goodwill of the dealership. The deal is done on a car 6 months ago and apart from renegotiating there is little to do. After all VW own both the new car and the trade in at this point as I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I would too.
    I’m following that thread and it’s amazing how some can’t wait to hand over their money and take delivery whenever that may be.
    They’re actually tracking ships that might have their cars on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thanks LM, I will contact them first thing to make sure all is ok.

Don't bother contacting vw he hasn't a clue what he's talking about. The very same thing happened to me at the beginning of the year. I was expecting the car in January, all the figures were done up to include the December payment, the car didn't arrive until mid February so I didn't have any payment for January, payments resumed in February when I received the car. Effectively your trade in has paid off the loan completely and when you drive out in your new car payments will resume.

You could leave the new car there until the new year but it will entail a whole new set of figures been drawn up none of which will work in your favour, you'd probably have to give them some cash as your trade in is now a year older.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You could leave the new car there until the new year but it will entail a whole new set of figures been drawn up none of which will work in your favour, you'd probably have to give them some cash as your trade in is now a year older.

Yes but if you consider the double hit of buying an old model and taking it on an older plate, the reduced value of the trade in now should be much less of a hit if one was to get a fair reprising. Of course the sales man is going to try to make the repriced trade in so bad as he doesn't want to be stick with the car either so he would hope unfavourable figures might make the.op go for the current deal.
    That's why I say walk away. And when I say walk away, I mean from the new car deal. Let them pay off the Pcp and then look at further options. I'd also fight over any deposit paid as clearly the delivery has not been as promised.

Yes but if you consider the double hit of buying an old model and taking it on an older plate, the reduced value of the trade in now should be much less of a hit if one was to get a fair reprising. Of course the sales man is going to try to make the repriced trade in so bad as he doesn't want to be stick with the car either so he would hope unfavourable figures might make the.op go for the current deal.
    That's why I say walk away. And when I say walk away, I mean from the new car deal. Let them pay off the Pcp and then look at further options. I'd also fight over any deposit paid as clearly the delivery has not been as promised.

Maybe the op hasn't the money to pay off the balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't bother contacting vw he hasn't a clue what he's talking about. The very same thing happened to me at the beginning of the year. I was expecting the car in January, all the figures were done up to include the December payment, the car didn't arrive until mid February so I didn't have any payment for January, payments resumed in February when I received the car. Effectively your trade in has paid off the loan completely and when you drive out in your new car payments will resume.

I take great insult if you’re referring to me not having a clue.

Your trade in doesn’t just “clear off” the balance. It’s all separate agreements.

Your deal obviously happened and you signed within a 1 month period of it ending/ future balance being due. 2.5 months of paying nothing is not right. Volkswagen have “bridging loans” and GMFV refinancing in place because of delayed cars.

I’d be very curious to hear what the OP has to say if they actually did ring Vw.

Don't worry about it too much Limerick man, I've already been called a reg plate snob, accused of having an "Irish" attitude to buying a car and was most recently accused of being greedy. Seems the Motors sections of Boards is not the place it once where lads came on to offer constructive advice. Now it seems to have been invaded by a few keyboard warriors who like to take a pop at anyone and everything.

Thanks for your input, I didn't get a chance to call VW Bank on Friday but will tomorrow hopefully.

Your trade in doesn’t just “clear off” the balance. It’s all separate agreements.

Your deal obviously happened and you signed within a 1 month period of it ending/ future balance being due. 2.5 months of paying nothing is not right. Volkswagen have “bridging loans” and GMFV refinancing in place because of delayed cars.

I’d be very curious to hear what the OP has to say if they actually did ring Vw.

My previous car was a 172 ordered in may for July plate, deposit paid, car didn't land until September the first payment of the PCP deal was taken at the end of September, no mention of bridging loans etc. I'm not being a keyboard warrior I'm just telling the op how it worked for me.

Don't worry about it too much Limerick man, I've already been called a reg plate snob, accused of having an "Irish" attitude to buying a car and was most recently accused of being greedy. Seems the Motors sections of Boards is not the place it once where lads came on to offer constructive advice. Now it seems to have been invaded by a few keyboard warriors who like to take a pop at anyone and everything.

Thanks for your input, I didn't get a chance to call VW Bank on Friday but will tomorrow hopefully.

I'm only trying to tell you how it worked for me.

I think if the car doesn't turn up in the next fortnight, then it'd be a reasonable request on your part, that's a reasonable cut off point for your 192 deal. If you cross that line, It's then fair for you to request the dealer do you favour in the interest of customer service, based on the extensive delay to keep it for a 201 reg. Whether you get it or not is another story, but at that point it's at the very least a reasonable question to ask.

• Advertisement

Well if they are buying a new car on finance, one would have to assume they can obtain the money relatively easy without stretching themselves.
    They then own their car and can go anywhere they like.

I think if the car doesn't turn up in the next fortnight, then it'd be a reasonable request on your part, that's a reasonable cut off point for your 192 deal. If you cross that line, It's then fair for you to request the dealer do you favour in the interest of customer service, based on the extensive delay to keep it for a 201 reg. Whether you get it or not is another story, but at that point it's at the very least a reasonable question to ask.

Probably offer him a free service or a fuel voucher.

OP here again. The car it appears is in port and should be delivered by the end of the week. Dealer has offered 3 years servicing as a goodwill gesture and we have had free use of the old car since August so I suppose we can't have too much to complain about. First world problems and all that.

3 years service plan is ok, 3 oil changes, a brake fluid change and a pollen filter. The service plans sell for €399, or the cost of the 3x services retail is around €590. I'd still like a full tank of fuel and fitted mats :) you'd probably be happy enough if it was delivered by the end of the week?

Yeah happy enough to close the deal, didn't have the stomach to go into a big battle with the salesman and start re-negotiating again. We were happy with the original deal so we will go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Hopefully the delay etc doesn’t take off the excitement when you get the new car!

I’m in a similar position without the PCP complication. Ordered end of May with an estimated 12 to 14 weeks. Now pushed to end of November so have been thinking of asking to push registration to 2020. It’s the Seat Ateca so new model due next year as well (minor upgrade I think).

• Advertisement

OP here again. The car it appears is in port and should be delivered by the end of the week. Dealer has offered 3 years servicing as a goodwill gesture and we have had free use of the old car since August so I suppose we can't have too much to complain about. First world problems and all that.

That's a decent deal in fairness. A word of caution on the services, keep an eye on the calendar as it's 3 years not 3 services make sure to get the third one done before the third year is up, get it in writing too as dealers can have selective memory as time passes.. Good luck with the new motor.

I think you're right to go with it, but def get it in writing as with best will in the world, memories fade and staff leave. Best wishes and enjoy the car.

If it's a 1 litre petrol the first service isn't due for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That's a fine sentiment CF and I also couldn't care less what the reg plate says. However when I go to trade the car in in 3 years time the salesman and the future buyer most certainly will and there is no way around that. A 192 car will be worth a fair bit less than a 201 car of identical spec.

Can you not see the irony in your attitude OP?

You are moaning about the loss you'll incur at trade in time due to the 192 instead of a 201, probably a couple of thousand. But yet you will go ahead with buying brand new cars every three years which makes as much financial sense as pissing all your tens of thousands up against a wall.

Penny wise, pound foolish is a term that comes to mind.

I never would but If i were to buy a new car, the only way to make it worth while is to keep it for many years until it is driven into the ground and thoroughly worn out. This craic of fellas thinking they are geniuses by trying to perfect the art of when to trade in is only a case of fellas codding themselves that they are smart. They are still absolutely hemorrhaging money into the fangs of the vampire car dealships.
    They must be getting them thousands very handy if they part with them with such ease!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

terrydel wrote: »
    No idea why people get worked out about this. Take it when you get it and reg it then, whatever is on it is on it.
    The fact we blatantly have the year displayed in the reg code has made it an obsession with Irish people. It baffles me why it matters so much.

If there are two cars with the same milage/spec etc and one is 192 and the other is 201 then the latter will sell for more money.
    Its not that hard to understand

• Advertisement
Advertisement