Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop emails won't send.

Options
  • 22-10-2019 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

My laptop emails send but go to my outbox and sit there. I can receive emails ok...any ideas how to sort this? Simple words appreciated, non-tekkie here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Have you changed internet provider? Your SMTP server for the account should be your ISPs one (yes I know thats a bit techy...)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Sounds like a problem with your outbound mail settings.

What mail program are you using? If you are using outlook, you should be able to see the send/receive status in the dialog box when you click the button to send/receive all mailboxes in the toolbar. This should show a more detailed error message when sending fails.

What mail provider (Gmail, eircom, blacknight etc) are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Have you changed internet provider? Your SMTP server for the account should be your ISPs one (yes I know thats a bit techy...)

No, nothing's changed. I rarely send emails from my laptop, usually my phone, so only noticed last night. Having said that, and if it's a clue, a couple of weeks ago I was suddenly unable to log into my bank account, couldn't get past the login details. I switched from Firefox to Chrome and had no problems since. Could that be in any way relevant?

Sounds like a problem with your outbound mail settings.

What mail program are you using? If you are using outlook, you should be able to see the send/receive status in the dialog box when you click the button to send/receive all mailboxes in the toolbar. This should show a more detailed error message when sending fails.

What mail provider (Gmail, eircom, blacknight etc) are you using?
    Outlook. When I checked the send/receive, I couldn't see any error message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

bonzodog2 wrote: »

This makes no sense. SMTP server does not need to be updated.

• Advertisement

tony glenn wrote: »
    No, nothing's changed. I rarely send emails from my laptop, usually my phone, so only noticed last night. Having said that, and if it's a clue, a couple of weeks ago I was suddenly unable to log into my bank account, couldn't get past the login details. I switched from Firefox to Chrome and had no problems since. Could that be in any way relevant?

I’d download and install malware anti malware and run a scan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I’d download and install malware anti malware and run a scan

This makes no sense, why download malware and then get rid of it? :cool:

degsie wrote: »
    This makes no sense, why download malware and then get rid of it? :cool:

Malware bytes sooorrrreyyy!

Malware bytes sooorrrreyyy!

Did a scan last week (the two-three hour one) all ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

tony glenn wrote: »
    Outlook. When I checked the send/receive, I couldn't see any error message
    Outlook is mail client(program)
    Who is provider? outlook.com as mymail@outlook.com
    @eircom.net is notorious failing to send, despite receive working fine, what brings back to the question about SMTP server.
    And its not necessary on your side

• Advertisement
Advertisement