Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting-tenants' experiences and landlords' viewpoints sought

Options
  • 22-10-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Needless to say that trying to find a half-decent and affordable place to rent is a nightmare currently ( in Dublin). It's been ages since my last apt. hunting so I'm looking for advice as to firstly how I could increase my chances of getting a response to my email. Many advertisers stipulate that contact should be by email only, so based on your experiences as tenants , and as landlords, what kind of information about myself and my circumstances ,and how detailed ,should I give in the first email ? What would make me stand out a little bit more? Are people still given the opportunity to view the place or do ppl make an offer straight away? I've seen flats being taken off daft within hours of them going up!
    Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

When we let our house I was surprised how many messages I got that just said “is this still free” or “when can I view” and absolutely nothing else. It was the messages that gave some details like “I’m looking for a place for myself and my two friends, we all work full-time at x place etc etc” that I responded to. We just had a ridiculous number of emails so I recommend making yourself seem as attractive as possible. Give details of why you would be good tenants and that you have references etc ready to go plus why you are interested in the property

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Was getting nowhere until I mentioned the following:

Late 20s/early 30s couple
    Non-smokers
    No pets
    No children
    Professionals working at (where we work)
    Available to move immediately

Then people started to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’ve sourced a few tenants for my parents using emails and the ones I replied to and arranged a viewing with were those had sent enough information for me to gauge what they were like.

Not necessarily talking employment history but who’d be in living in the house, where they were currently living, reason for moving etc.

People with short one liners, or asking for a phone number didn’t get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What are you currently sending? Keep it anonymous of course. I'd be fairly formal and be sure to be 'selling' yourself as sad as that is given you're looking to pay huge money to rent somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Its hard to believe how many responses landlords get to an advert. First up, be quick with your response. If a LL is going through lots of emails and has selected 4/5 to offer viewings to, the rest of the emails may never even be opened. Next, as other posters have mentioned, send additional information with your "selling points" - Professional couple, no pets, non-smoker, like gardening and currently renting in X but landlord is selling up - that type of thing. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do you take HAP?
    Always guaranteed to get a prompt response

• Registered Users Posts: 14 apple_ blossom

I have to admit that my very first 2 emails were along the lines of "hi, can I come and view the property", but I realised that It's just not going to cut it.
    In the more recent emails I have included the reason I'm looking, no pets, non smoker, in permanent full time employment + my job title, references available ..Still nothing!
    I really appreciate all your replies, the entire process is somewhat anxiety- inducing !
    The thing is I am a very good tenant, I'm tidy never ever late paying my rent, etc but I'm sure there are a tonne of other great tenants out there .
    I'll jazz up my emails even more.
    I wonder if there is a bit of a bias among landlords when it comes to different nationalities, is there a preference for certain nationalities and less desire to rent to others..?( My name is and looks foreign 🙂) Or it might not play any role in their decision...
    I now have a letter from my employer confirming my salary, permanency of my job , the organisation I work in, and dates of employment...I hope this would assure the potential landlord of my ability to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

I have to admit that my very first 2 emails were along the lines of "hi, can I come and view the property", but I realised that It's just not going to cut it.
    In the more recent emails I have included the reason I'm looking, no pets, non smoker, in permanent full time employment + my job title, references available ..Still nothing!
    I really appreciate all your replies, the entire process is somewhat anxiety- inducing !
    The thing is I am a very good tenant, I'm tidy never ever late paying my rent, etc but I'm sure there are a tonne of other great tenants out there .
    I'll jazz up my emails even more.
    I wonder if there is a bit of a bias among landlords when it comes to different nationalities, is there a preference for certain nationalities and less desire to rent to others..?( My name is and looks foreign ��) Or it might not play any role in their decision...
    I now have a letter from my employer confirming my salary, permanency of my job , the organisation I work in, and dates of employment...I hope this would assure the potential landlord of my ability to pay.

You're doing all the right things. There is bias out there 100%. Put your name down as John or Mary and see if you get more responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Fia11 wrote: »
    You're doing all the right things. There is bias out there 100%. Put your name down as John or Mary and see if you get more responses.

Some on these forums have stated a preference for non Irish. Probably a lot of LL aren't irish anyway and considering the immigration we had for the past 25yrs, most will have dealt with lots of different nationalities anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The last time I advertised an apartment in Dublin Docklands I got 70 emails the morning the ad went up, anyone’s with “is it available” or “can I see it today” were deleted. The ones I read were the ones with info like, I work in X, full time employment, no pets, no kids, couples renting, have rental & job references, willing to pay 3+ months in advance etc.

I know this may mean I missed out on many good tenants and there is no guarantee that the people who sent the emails would be good tenants, but it is about reducing risk, the more info that you give which will make you an appealing tenant, the more likely you are to get a reply. Competition for property is fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Fia11 wrote: »

How do you see that advice playing out for the OP? What happens should they get offered accommodation and their ID doesn't match the name given.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Compose the email as best as possible too.
    It doesn’t have to be perfect, but bear in mind the format that scam emails use so you need to get the point across that you are an actual person looking for a home.

I know you may not like it but including limited details about you and your profession and employer goes a long way. It’s not strictly needed and some will reply saying that you should bear that information to anyone but if I get an email from a possible tenant along the lines of “My girlfriend and I are both in full time employment, with X company” it just hammers home the personal side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 apple_ blossom

Thanks for all your replies!
    I have refined my emails and I managed to get a viewing for next week ! Whether I'll be offered the apt or not I feel a bit of relief at getting somewhere eventually. Thanks for the advice regarding the mentioning of my employer, I work for a decent enough organisation so I'll make sure to include the work references right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thanks for all your replies!
    I have refined my emails and I managed to get a viewing for next week ! Whether I'll be offered the apt or not I feel a bit of relief at getting somewhere eventually. Thanks for the advice regarding the mentioning of my employer, I work for a decent enough organisation so I'll make sure to include the work references right away.

Be prepared to offer to pay a couple of months in advance or a larger deposit. The owner will be trying to minimise risk so offering more up front will help to make you more appealing. You can expect that if there are lots of viewers, at least some will offer this, or even to pay more rent to get the property.

From now on it’s a beauty contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have everything together in a folder ready to go; references, salary certs, bank statements if your comfortable with that. Recently I had people sending me links to their social media accounts and no I didn't check :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Dav010 wrote: »
    The last time I advertised an apartment in Dublin Docklands I got 70 emails the morning the ad went up, anyone’s with “is it available” or “can I see it today” were deleted. The ones I read were the ones with info like, I work in X, full time employment, no pets, no kids, couples renting, have rental & job references, willing to pay 3+ months in advance etc.

I know this may mean I missed out on many good tenants and there is no guarantee that the people who sent the emails would be good tenants, but it is about reducing risk, the more info that you give which will make you an appealing tenant, the more likely you are to get a reply. Competition for property is fierce.

Prospctive tenants may be reluctant to give out information about themselves but they should give enough to attract the interest of the landlord.
    Its is a landlords market at the moment and with a big response landlords are looking fo any reason to rule out a tenant.
    If a person seeking accommodation doesnt like this so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

with a hint of sarcasm don't forget to send same email multiple times.

Had 1 this week 350 mails many are cut and paste, ans 10% had 2 viewings

Email replies needs to be lean on lines big on details

Job description, longevity & company full time/contract, determine ability to pay a must...
    Where ur from, how long in Dublin current accommodation refs, when you can move

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Write it like a letter.

Hi,

I saw your apartment to rent on X and really liked it. I am looking to move to this area and can move in asap.

I'm a non smoker
    No kids
    No pets
    Have been full time at x company for Y years.

I look forward to hearing from you. You can call or text me at X or email me at Y.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Kind regards
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

As someone who has just been in that situation after almost 8 years, it really was a sharp learning curve.
    In line with what has been said above, we formulated a cover note, a bit like what you would have with your C.V. with some relative information. This made a big difference to the responses we got.
    Also add in what you are currently paying in rent and how long for and the reason for moving.
    At a viewing, if we liked what we saw, we would hand over the reference with the same cover note attached.
    Within three viewings doing it this way we secured a property.

Advertisement