Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change - maths teacher to actuary

Options
  • 22-10-2019 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am a maths teacher thinking of changing career to an actuarial profession..
    Just wonder if anybody else on this forum or anybody you know did that?
    How difficult would it be in terms of finding an entry job position without having a financial background?
    Am I better off staying teaching, becoming a member of Ifoa and attempting a couple of exams on my own accord or would a masters in actuarial science (UCC or UCD) be a more reasonable route?
    How many exams do you reckon needed to have a chance of getting a job?

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

These days (in my experience) you need to have a very good maths degree before being accepted to work in industry as an actuary.

Once you’re in, there’s very good perks re study leave, salary increments for exams that you pass. It’s not an easy slog though, you’re very much expected to learn the industry and give added value - while studying.

The rewards when qualified are excellent though. And the degree of mobility it gives you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

My friend was an engineer and did the actuarial masters in UCD. He found a job straight afterwards and is doing well as an actuary by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sean_brenn

Thanks for the reply!

Would a first class honours in maths education and an A1 in LC not suffice? Would you be advising to use a year to complete a masters to have a chance of getting a position?

I was hoping attempting some exams while still working, that would have been the least expensive option for me 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would do the masters in actuarial science.

1) Have a masters

2) Have a relavant masters

3) Have the knowledge from the masters

4) Makes it much easier to get past HR and called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

I agree that the masters in UCD is possibly the best option. However, there are a lot of Brexit related opportunities that are making actuaries very much in demand right now, so consider reaching out to recruiters for their opinions, they may have some suitable open roles.
    There are really only 2 actuarial recruiters: acumen resources and raretec. They are far more professional than the way recruiters in other industries behave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sean_brenn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!

Would a first class honours in maths education and an A1 in LC not suffice? Would you be advising to use a year to complete a masters to have a chance of getting a position?

I was hoping attempting some exams while still working, that would have been the least expensive option for me ��

A1 in HL LC is good, the further back the better. Unless your first class is from UCD or Trinity then I would definitely look into the masters. Truth be told no matter how bright you are being a teacher will hurt your credentials, regardless of how hard you work the perception of teachers in industry is poor and finding an employer who'll put the faith in you to switch from the 9-4 to 12 hour days won't be easy. No harm in reaching out to recruiters as mentioned above to test the waters.

Advertisement