Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can an employer give a copy of my passport and employment contract along with address

• 23-10-2019 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I worked for Solicitors as a nanny for their family. The accountant that worked at the law firm made an error of putting in the wrong ppsn. When they informed me that my ppsn number came up as a different name, I went and got the matter fixed however the accountant still went ahead and added the wrong ppsn to the payroll. I have since left the job.

Now this third person has contacted me claiming that I stole their identity. And wants to sue me. I asked where they got my information from and the person claimed that they got it from my employer (without my permission). The person hasn't reported it as yet but is really threatening me.

I'm confused to whether my employer could do this under the Data protection act.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tiki90 wrote: »
    I worked for Solicitors as a nanny for their family. The accountant that worked at the law firm made an error of putting in the wrong ppsn. When they informed me that my ppsn number came up as a different name, I went and got the matter fixed however the accountant still went ahead and added the wrong ppsn to the payroll. I have since left the job.

Now this third person has contacted me claiming that I stole their identity. And wants to sue me. I asked where they got my information from and the person claimed that they got it from my employer (without my permission). The person hasn't reported it as yet but is really threatening me.

I'm confused to whether my employer could do this under the Data protection act.

Go to the Gardai and report it to the DPC.
    Threatening someone is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

report the employment to revenue. make sure the employer has paid the relevant taxes due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

What has the other person got to sue you about? Once they get some legal advice (if they even go to that trouble) they'll probably realise how ridiculous their threat is.

It's unclear from your post if your employer gave the other person copies or details of your passport, contract of employment and address. If they did this is something I would have more concerns about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tiki90

What has the other person got to sue you about? Once they get some legal advice (if they even go to that trouble) they'll probably realise how ridiculous their threat is.

It's unclear from your post if your employer gave the other person copies or details of your passport, contract of employment and address. If they did this is something I would have more concerns about.

They did in fact gave all those information to the person. Well at least that's what the person said. What should I do then... report it to Garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Contact your old bosses and tell them that someone is threatening you over their error.

They are solicitors and should be able to sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You should contact your old employer and get their side of the story to try figure out how much of what the other person claims is true.

Ask them how this other person came to know your details - your name, address, your former employer's details, your employment details (including your contract if the other person claims to have been given a copy if it) and how the other person was made aware of their accountant's error entering your PPSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You should also contact Client Identity Services in the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection at (071) 967 2616 or Lo-call 1890 927 999.

Advertisement