Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps issue

Options
  • 23-10-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭

I have a strange issue that was didn't really bother me until now
    Basically every time I use Google maps in car as Sat Nav my iphone 6s will without fail lose all cellular coverage and will not come back until it is turned off. And even then it can take a while.
    First few times I thought it was a coincidence but it is 100% not. I switched to a Tom Tom few years ago so forgot about it. But now I have a car with Apple Car play so it is a huge issue
    Anything I can try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

km79 wrote: »
    I have a strange issue that was didn't really bother me until now
    Basically every time I use Google maps in car as Sat Nav my iphone 6s will without fail lose all cellular coverage and will not come back until it is turned off. And even then it can take a while.
    First few times I thought it was a coincidence but it is 100% not. I switched to a Tom Tom few years ago so forgot about it. But now I have a car with Apple Car play so it is a huge issue
    Anything I can try?

Ditto.

The "workaround" for me was to set mobile data to 3G, not 4G, has worked flawlessly since.

Are you on Three by any chance as the issue only started happening for myself when I switched to Three. Not sure why since I had been using Google Maps without issue and with 4G enabled prior to that on Eir.

It's not just Google Maps either, it happens with Waze and Tom Tom Go for myself. Basically anything that relies on both GPS and Mobile Data (presumably A-GPS).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

KildareP wrote: »
    Ditto.

The "workaround" for me was to set mobile data to 3G, not 4G, has worked flawlessly since.

Are you on Three by any chance as the issue only started happening for myself when I switched to Three. Not sure why since I had been using Google Maps without issue and with 4G enabled prior to that on Eir.

It's not just Google Maps either, it happens with Waze and Tom Tom Go for myself. Basically anything that relies on both GPS and Mobile Data (presumably A-GPS).

Yes Three
    Asked them to check it out few years ago and got nowhere
    Damn it I was going to try Waze too!!!!
    Thanks I guess I’ll have to switch to 3G when I’m using it so .......

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Yes Three
    Asked them to check it out few years ago and got nowhere
    Damn it I was going to try Waze too!!!!
    Thanks I guess I’ll have to switch to 3G when I’m using it so .......

This worked thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

By coincidence, I helped a lady in a shop yesterday who was (I now think) having this exact issue - she wanted directions with Google Maps, and was on 4G with Three (not sure of her hardware, but it was an iPhone with fingerprint, so pre iPhone X), and the app was giving a "you're offline" error, even though she could load Google on her Safari app. We couldn't work it out, and in the end, I showed her the directions from my own phone (iPhone XS on 4G with Three) and all was fine.

Edit: Just tried G-Maps on my wife's iPhone 7 on 4G/Three and it works fine, so it might be a 6/6s issue only

Advertisement