Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring ownership of car

• 23-10-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all! Quick question.

How does one go about transferring ownership of a car? My partner is currently the registered owner of my car which I want to transfer to me to get my own insurance policy.

Does it take long? Who do I need to call?

Thanks a million

Decbrad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Fill in the form on the back of the Vehicle Registration Certificate and mail it to the address provided.

Note: Looks like the online solution is only for dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭decbrad

Unfortunately the new way is for car dealers only

Check if you meet the basic requirements for registration i.e.
    A Garage Code/Dealer No. issued by the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division.
    A VAT number

If you do not have all of the above you will not be able to access the CVO system.

Thanks Joypad!
    Any idea where I get the Vehicle Registration Certificate from? I'll take a look in the log book later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

decbrad wrote: »
    Thanks Joypad!
    Any idea where I get the Vehicle Registration Certificate from? I'll take a look in the log book later.

Log Book and Vehicle Registration Certificate are one and the same. It's the document you received in the post with the car details and your personal details, as the owner. On the back, there's a form.

Thanks for the help joyPad

DB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 shanekbeary

Hi Guys.

I could not see how to create a new post from my phone so thought I might as my question here.

Can I sell my long lapsed registration ( years) car to my son ( a non licensed driver) and then have him insure me as designated driver?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

No, the owner of the car and main policy holder must have the license to drive the car or else the policy is void. Doesn't matter who is named it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Advertisement