Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That is what we all believe. But honestly there must be some involvement by others in this. I really thought the SM and the Customs Seal were sacrosanct.

But I suppose any system is open to messing around.

Go to the most common denominator here. Customs seal on exit is my view, and then blind eye on entry when CS looks dodgy.

Are there no CCTVs in ports anywhere to zoom in on the seals?

My apologies, I am probably talking out of my rear end, but I am not totally stoopid either.

Customs seals are generally just that. They will be reported on the pre advice sent from sender to receiver (or the warehouse/forwarder in between) and cross referenced. Once sealed it would be very unusual for a unit to arrive with a different seal without also getting some sort of explanation from the haulier, or a letter from customs / Port security to say that they replaced it. They are also normally serialized with a number to avoid simple replacement. No chance in hell you would read a seal number from CCTV, especially not in countries where the customs office is often a portakabin with a jaded aul' fella inside who doesn't even read what he's stamping.

Many trucks however are not sealed - Bulgaria is in the EU and not subject to customs restrictions unless there were third country goods on board being carried under customs control.

A significant proportion of trailers are curtainside and much easier to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

vicwatson wrote: »
    Link please as not even BBC website updated with this news?

Haven’t a link.

News doing the circles on the Irish Rigs FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The immediate mention of Holyhead had me suspicious from the get go.

So now ROI has no involvement at all. Fine and dandy, but many will remember it just the same.

There is something rotten about this people trafficking biz now. Blind eyes and backhanders possible. A Customs seal is supposed to facilitate fast and easy transport of goods within EU.

But no one remembered to include people who might die. Awful stuff, and more than meets the eye now IMO. But we shall see. I suppose it will be played down big time anyway. Cannot allow UK ports to be seen as trafficking hubs now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Noveight wrote: »
    Haven’t a link.

News doing the circles on the Irish Rigs FB page.

Only a rumour so

Not one media outlet I’ve checked 5 have said he’s been released

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The immediate mention of Holyhead had me suspicious from the get go.

So now ROI has no involvement at all. Fine and dandy, but many will remember it just the same.

There is something rotten about this people trafficking biz now. Blind eyes and backhanders possible. A Customs seal is supposed to facilitate fast and easy transport of goods within EU.

But no one remembered to include people who might die. Awful stuff, and more than meets the eye now IMO. But we shall see. I suppose it will be played down big time anyway. Cannot allow UK ports to be seen as trafficking hubs now.....

Truck left Dublin to go to Holyhead on Oct 20th according to gardai

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

vicwatson wrote: »
    Only a rumour so

Not one media outlet I’ve checked 5 have said he’s been released

Make what you want of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

paska wrote: »
    At 17:30 today I read he was released without charge However RTE 6 one was still reporting he was being questioned. 6 one is live?
    His face was posted all over the Irish Rigs facebook page as well. Word is the lad is a diamond.

I’m not up with all the trucker jargon. What’s a diamond out of curiosity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

lawred2 wrote: »
    Realms of speculation here obviously...

Possible that the driver blocked the air supply? Would that be the justification for a murder charge?

Fridge trailer's would be pretty airtight in any case..impossible to keep the temperature down otherwise. Most likely, they all died within a few hours,,,,,as soon as the oxygen ran out.
    RIP.

Another poster covered this, seals can be bought online and matched to the company you are targeting for smuggling purposes. The trafficking groups are quite sophisticated but it's not exactly over complicated to reseal a container and pass cursory inspection.

Not good for the Single Market is it? Might be a Brexit plot :D

But seriously, it sounds quite dodge to me, well the opportunities are it seems.

As I said earlier, can o worms, but I doubt anything will happen regulation wise. As you were, and we can suffer a few dead migrants for the sake of the SM or something. Not wishing to sound disrespectful either, but you would have to be a cynic to survive the world machinations these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does anyone know yet how it was uncovered that there were bodies in the container?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not good for the Single Market is it? Might be a Brexit plot :D

But seriously, it sounds quite dodge to me, well the opportunities are it seems.

As I said earlier, can o worms, but I doubt anything will happen regulation wise. As you were, and we can suffer a few dead migrants for the sake of the SM or something. Not wishing to sound disrespectful either, but you would have to be a cynic to survive the world machinations these days.

No offence but there is hundreds of thousands of truck movements every single day, do you think its possible to check every single one of them? If people are determined to smuggle fellow humans or contraband they will find a way. It only bothers people when a tradegy like this happens. People smuggling is going every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Poor lad literally picked up off the ferry to bring it to the customer.

As for the sealed trailers. You do not touch them or open them. Seen them refused in work many a time as the little yellow seals on the doors have been removed or tampered with

No offence but there is hundreds of thousands of truck movements every single day, do you think its possible to check every single one of them? If people are determined to smuggle fellow humans or contraband they will find a way. It only bothers people when a tradegy like this happens. People smuggling is going every single day.

I understand that, and take no offence whatsoever.

I think the seals might need tightening up though. There must be some mechanism that can scan them for veracity or something, but then again I have no doubt that the criminal element are ten steps ahead all the time.

Poor lad literally picked up off the ferry to bring it to the customer.

As for the sealed trailers. You do not touch them or open them. Seen them refused in work many a time as the little yellow seals on the doors have been removed or tampered with

Seems that it can be done though. Somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Seems that it can be done though. Somehow.

you buy seals of the same style and colour as the original one, once you match that then nobody will care, they are serialised but doubt most drivers would check too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

I’m not up with all the trucker jargon. What’s a diamond out of curiosity ?

Used to be coal at one point - but turned into carrots!!

No, it's a cokney expression - diamond geezer - a fine upstanding person, a good guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Any professional driver worth their salt will always make sure seal is as on paperwork and hasn't been tampered with.
    They risk their job otherwise particularly if the customer/destination is professional and on top of their game in checking tampering/number/paperwork (I knew a few who weren't)
    Of course, not everyone or every company is diligent and above board.
    A few extra bob to be made will tempt these ones (I know one or two)and I'm not even talking about people smuggling.
    Time is money for hauliers and no loads/full loads is a no-no and of course they need to keep those wheels moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm very sad in hearing this news today. What an unfortunate way to die for those people. It's a dreadful tragedy.

If their families are looking for them today. They will get a call from officials in future to say that their loved ones have suffered a tragic outcome.

I wouldn't want to be one of those families involved in that process. RIP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've been watching the news and the position of the truck seems odd. It's just stopped on the road near a junction. Have we any idea why it was stopped there or if that's where it was opened up?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Fridge containers can be temp controlled and the fridge turned off to carry other freight if needs be so let’s not be thinking that they made this trip in sub zero conditions if indeed it was a planned people smuggling operation. Rip to the 39 souls onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

nc6000 wrote: »
    I've been watching the news and the position of the truck seems odd. It's just stopped on the road near a junction. Have we any idea why it was stopped there or if that's where it was opened up?

Normally it's driver parking up somewhere quiet/secluded to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,761 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Do we not enforce any checks between mainland Europe and Ireland?

I thought checks entering every country :o

RIP

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The English probably blamed it on the naughty fenians yet it was one of their own unionists. That will annoy Varadkar, he would love any reason to hate on a northern Catholic

LoughNeagh2017 - do not post in this thread again

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've a feeling that the fella arrested was set up, just from what I'm seeing and reading in the media.

Bad form (imo) for his name and face to be plastered all over the news until they can actually establish whether or not he was being set up, or was privy to what was going down.

25 years old, still a kid really.

Also, not forgetting the true victims in this tragedy, the 39 souls who tragically lost their lives in what must have been a truly awful death. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

snickers wrote: »
    Fridge containers can be temp controlled and the fridge turned off to carry other freight if needs be so let’s not be thinking that they made this trip in sub zero conditions if indeed it was a planned people smuggling operation. Rip to the 39 souls onboard.

Think I'd rather freeze to death than suffocate :(

While I realise you can't just open the flood gates I do believe we have a moral obligation to give a helping hand to those less fortunate than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Any professional driver worth their salt will always make sure seal is as on paperwork and hasn't been tampered with.
    They risk their job otherwise particularly if the customer/destination is professional and on top of their game in checking tampering/number/paperwork (I knew a few who weren't)
    Of course, not everyone or every company is diligent and above board.
    A few extra bob to be made will tempt these ones (I know one or two)and I'm not even talking about people smuggling.
    Time is money for hauliers and no loads/full loads is a no-no and of course they need to keep those wheels moving.

You’d have to wonder why the driver pulled over and checked the back of the container. Surely you wouldn’t be able to hear anything from the front of the cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Paul Lee wrote: »
    My apologies for wanting to stop Africans dying. If you call me racist then I must be racist. I'm just too thick to figure out how wanting to stop people dying is racist. Please relieve me of my ignorance. And also please explain how you're not racist because I'm also confused there too.

*My definition of racist: Someone who hates people of race/ races other than their own. Since that's not my issue, and because I'm racist (as you say) I obviously have the wrong definition. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, people are dying so let's sort this out quickly.

No one's calling you a racist and you still haven't explained how stopping welfare payments will prevent all future deaths of African migrants. Immigrants coming into the UK are not entitled to, and therefore do not get, any benefits paid to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

As well as the poor 39 souls lost in this tragedy your heart would have to go out to the police, ambulance service, coroners etc. who have to deal with this. It has to be a horrific situation to deal with to have to try and identify these people probably from their phones, photographs, letters etc. they may have with them.

So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Odelay

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You’d have to wonder why the driver pulled over and checked the back of the container. Surely you wouldn’t be able to hear anything from the front of the cab?

I suspect the driver parked up there and walked into the yard to check if he was at the right place/would they accept the load/were able to unload etc. in this case an operative would often go with the driver to open it up to see what exactly it contains and how it’s loaded and if it’s in a condition that they’ll accept.
    Not saying that’s what happened, but it is a fairly common occurrence to check loads like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

splinter65 wrote: »
    I find it impossible to believe that in this day and age he got into the cab and started the engine without checking his load.

If he had picked up a sealed trailer he wouldn't have been able to check the load.

Advertisement