Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Odelay wrote: »
    I suspect the driver parked up there and walked into the yard to check if he was at the right place/would they accept the load/were able to unload etc. in this case a operative would often go with the driver to open it up to see what exactly it contains and how it’s loaded and if it’s in a condition that they’ll accept.
    Not saying that’s what happened, but it is a fairly common occurrence to check loads like that.

At 1am?

I'm also curious about how the deceased were discovered to be in the trailer..... according to reports the police were called by the ambulance service, but who alerted them?

RIP to them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭contrary_devil

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    At 1am?

I'm also curious about how the deceased were discovered to be in the trailer..... according to reports the police were called by the ambulance service, but who alerted them?

RIP to them all.

Why not 1am? There are plenty of places that operate 24 hours a day and some 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I've a feeling that the fella arrested was set up, just from what I'm seeing and reading in the media.

Bad form (imo) for his name and face to be plastered all over the news until they can actually establish whether or not he was being set up, or was privy to what was going down.

25 years old, still a kid really.

Also, not forgetting the true victims in this tragedy, the 39 souls who tragically lost their lives in what must have been a truly awful death. R.I.P

Yeah, this I dont understand. His face is plastered everywhere, mainstream news sites seem to be raiding his social media for photos like some tenth rate news rags. This very young person is practically being advertised as a mass murderer. Even if on the off chance he was in on the trafficking - which the timeline does not suggest - this surely is trial by media/mob. Terrifying for him and his family if he just happens to be effectively a bystander. I am very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Why not 1am? There are plenty of places that operate 24 hours a day and some 24/7

Because people like Heidi think shop shelves magically regenerate overnight, trucks are on the road day and night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

So would the person who sealed it not have looked into the container and seen the people? Surely he would. Who signs off on loads and certifies that it’s all there?
    Something very wrong somewhere.

I was speaking with a hauler this evening about this. He was telling me of incidents whereby the immigrants \ traffickers actually cut holes in the roof of the fridges and go in through there. The driver would certainly not be checking the roof.

The artic unit shipped Dublin holyhead with a different trailer and dropped at a location in the UK. Driver was probably drop and picking various trailers since the weekend from various ports\locations. I really feel for the driver getting caught up in this awful tradgedy. He will probably never get over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Because people like Heidi think shop shelves magically regenerate overnight, trucks are on the road day and night

Yeah, no I don't.

I asked a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Odelay

At 1am?

RIP to them all.

I suspect when they found unresponsive people, they though it better to call the ambulance service. Shock would have set in. They probably never thought of making a second call for the police, it must have been a horrific situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The media were wrong to name the driver and post his picture when nobody knows if he even knew anything about what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Nine people found alive in truck just hours after the 39 people were found deceased

https://news.sky.com/story/nine-migrants-found-alive-in-lorry-in-kent-11843186

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yeah, this I dont understand. His face is plastered everywhere, mainstream news sites seem to be raiding his social media for photos like some tenth rate news rags. This very young person is practically being advertised as a mass murderer. Even if on the off chance he was in on the trafficking - which the timeline does not suggest - this surely is trial by media/mob. Terrifying for him and his family if he just happens to be effectively a bystander. I am very surprised.

Yet the media couldn’t show faces of the lads who attacked a tourist at gun point yesterday because of GDPR?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Lots of misinformation here
    The seals that people are talking about are not custom seals, they are seals placed there from the factory where the trailer is loaded, as a driver you cannot interfere or open the seal, especially with a fridge unit such as this if a driver opens a seal before arrival at a destination and withnessed by their staff the whole load will be rejected,
    As for the lorry being on foreign plates its been happening for years over here there's 3 big haulage company's within 15 miles of me here whose lorrys are on Bulgarian plates

Its a horrible situation all-round thoughts are with the poor people in the back, their family's and the driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If he had picked up a sealed trailer he wouldn't have been able to check the load.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. I’ve had an education on haulage here this evening. Very interesting. RIP to these souls who thought that Essex was paved with gold.

I'm after reading quite a few posts on this thread and to be frank there are a lot of posts on this thread made by people who know sfa about how the transport and logistics industry works but yet seem to think they are knowledgable on the subject. As an example someone posted about buying seals online to replace broken seals, it is entirely possible that seals can be bought but you'd have to be damned lucky to have the exact type of seal with matching number.
    Smuggling gangs/clandestines get people into trailers all the time and pass through security checks even at Calais which would be one of the more heavily secured ports. Haulage companies are these days having to instruct drivers to only park at paid secure parking areas when on the homeward journey to miminise the risk of illegal entry, service areas are no go areas for freight vehicles en route for the UK or Ireland. Only a few months ago a transport company had a new fridge trailer, costing in the region of €100,000 ruined when clandestines cut the roof to gain entry, this was in a service area parking in the middle of France.
    The trailer these poor souls were found in had not come through Ireland or Holyhead as were the indications of some posts but had come from Zeebrugge to Purfleet and was picked up by the driver of the truck there for onward delivery. I suggest it might be beneficial if some people quit trying to be heros rushing to be the first to post about every tit bit they hear/see in media reports with subsequent additions or deletions of the facts as what should be well known by now is that the media reporters don't always have things right and don't always use the correct language or terminology in their reports. An example of incorrect terminology in this instance was using the word container when in fact the correct term is refrigerated (fridge) trailer, as the term container is used to describe a steel box that is lifted on or off a carrying vehicle.
    I apologise for the long post but as I have spent most of my working life in the transport/logistics industry I'm very vexed at the inaccurices here and in the media and a man nearly being convicted without trial.
    RIP to the poor souls that died in such a horrible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Odelay

At 1am?

RIP to them all.

A drop off at that time wouldn’t be unusual. He could have had four or five of them to do that night. He’d be concentrating on his driving hours, probably working towards a break, and then ferry home counting that as another rest time.

These guys work out their breaks and rest times 8-10 moves in advance, it’s like a chess game. Play it right and you can make good-ish money, get a move wrong and you’re at nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

Channel 4 News had a reporter live from his home town, sounds like they tried to call to his house to interview his family and also visited the office of the company who own the trailer.

All a bit much really and they wouldn't be the worst by any means.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Channel 4 News had a reporter live from his home town, sounds like they tried to call to his house to interview his family and also visited the office of the company who own the trailer.

All a bit much really and they wouldn't be the worst by any means.

Assholes who are only chasing sensation, pure wrong to be going anywhere a family's house. They wouldn't be half as brave going to a drug dealers or pedophiles house to get a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I’m not surprised at all
    Do you remember the Gatwick drone incident ?

Paul Gait, 47, and his wife Elaine Kirk, 54, were named and pictured on the front pages of four national Sunday newspapers on 23 December as Sussex Police detained them in connection with the drone chaos.

Among those to splash on the story of their arrest was the Mail on Sunday, which asked: “Are these the morons who ruined Christmas?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I know a close friend of the guy in question and its causing great distress to his nearest and dearest.

I had to deal with a delivery into a large German chain for a friend recently and they give you a set time when you can enter.

It's well within the realms of possibility he was ahead of time and was parking to wait or had ran out of hours on his tacograph.

There's no winners here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

lawred2 wrote: »
    Depends when and where the customs seals were added. Might be that some lad somewhere is on the take. Such operations have to be facilitated officially somewhere along the line.

In Bulgaria?! :eek: well I never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

This looks like organised people smuggling racket,

Trailer owned by GTR Trailers , registered address Co.Monaghan
    Truck registered in Bulgaria, and owned by an irish citizen
    Driver from NI (likely duped/ innocent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It would just bring tears to one's eyes what the people who died went through and those who had to deal with the aftermath. Just a terrible situation for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

The media were wrong to name the driver and post his picture when nobody knows if he even knew anything about what happened.

Agree! Bit mad considering the thread down below about the footage of the lads that mugged some tourist at gunpoint. Sometimes life just doesn't compute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Driver is just a very small cog in a massive machine.

Scapegoat.

RobertKK wrote: »
    It would just bring tears to one's eyes what the people who died went through and those who had to deal with the aftermath. Just a terrible situation for all.

My very elderly mother just watched the lorry leaving for Tilbury Docks with its tragic cargo and she wondered who in the name of God is going to empty it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

splinter65 wrote: »
    My very elderly mother just watched the lorry leaving for Tilbury Docks with its tragic cargo and she wondered who in the name of God is going to empty it.

I would assume the police and ambulance personnel will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The container came in from Zeebrugge to Essex docks at 12.30am, cab-less.
    -
    It didn't have the CAB driven by the Northern Irish guy who only picked it up at the Essex docks at 1.05am.

He delivered it to the industrial estate 10 minutes away where the grim discovery was made, probably by the driver, who also probably called in the police, who arrested him on "suspicion" of murder.

The police then released a series of wrong information including the origins of the cab.

Then someone leaked this information, and he got doxxed by irresponsible journalists and TV broadcasters, which in turn has been picked up and reprinted by international newspapers.

There are now reports and even more pictures of raids by the PSNI at addresses in Portadown tonight.

If this guy is totally innocent and is released without charge tomorrow, then the media morons are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭paul71

coastwatch wrote: »
    This looks like organised people smuggling racket,

Trailer owned by GTR Trailers , registered address Co.Monaghan
    Truck registered in Bulgaria, and owned by an irish citizen
    Driver from NI (likely duped/ innocent)

You are jumping to same type of assumptions about the trailer owners that UK media did about the driver when they plastered his personal details all over the news.
    More likely, perfectly legitimate company in Ireland registers assets in another EU country because the registration process and insurance is cheaper. Said trailer while hired out to a legitimate transport company is broken into somewhere in Holland by 40 people while the driver on an overnight is asleep, 40th person seals other 39 in and tragedy occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

STB. wrote: »
    If this guy is totally innocent and is released without charge tomorrow, then the media morons are in serious trouble.

Nobody on the planet would blame him for bringing a few of the rags to court over it.

The Sun UK’s cover for tomorrow is disgraceful.

I would assume the police and ambulance personnel will do it.

I can’t imagine anything worse. They can’t be paid too much as far as I’m concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Amnesty international rep saying on Sky News report that if routes are blocked to migrants then they have no option to take more dangerous routes/methods. Absolute nonsense. They are coming because they know there is a good chance they will get away with it. The answer is to make it so they know there is an near impossible chance of getting away with it, whatever that would take.

Advertisement