Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm confused as to why Chinese people would need to go to such lengths? Like there's abundant proper channels to go down without risk of life? Unless they were being transported against their will....Just seems strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Its not how it works, the driver would be told before collecting the container where each drop off was and in what order,

Driver's do not decide for themselves it's simply not there job

Ok, the reason I suggested it was because I worked a summer job many years ago in a small distribution warehouse, we'd often have refrigerated units dropping off a few pallets. Then onto another place etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm confused as to why Chinese people would need to go to such lengths? Like there's abundant proper channels to go down without risk of life? Unless they were being transported against their will....Just seems strange.

Probably poorly educated souls manipulated into thinking this was an easy route, possibly with a guaranteed job at the end of the journey.

God bless them and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

IRE60 wrote: »
    Here's a line from The Sun (health warning is in place) which I can't see elsewhere.

"Driver Maurice 'Mo' Robinson, 25, was arrested after he picked the trailer up from Purfleet in Essex around 30 minutes before the grim discovery"

Now if you read that as stated he was lifted first, then the discovery?
    Other media are saying he called the ambulance. News outlets are all over the place on this. I'm gonna stay away from this story for a while. Way too much conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ok, the reason I suggested it was because I worked a summer job many years ago in a small distribution warehouse, we'd often have refrigerated units dropping off a few pallets. Then onto about place etc.

It was a valid thought, my big question is the seal.

All containers are seal bolted for the driver to remove the seal without the security of the port there or at the actually delivery point is a big deal ,

He would have to have heard something vey very worrying to do this or the movement in the back was making it seriously dangerous for him to drive but i'd imagine if that was the case he would have just waited and called the delivery address in the morning and told them he was going to do it ?

Even with a lose load that wasn't causing him trouble to drive he would normally just continue to the delivery address as its not his fault as he did not load the container ,

Devils advocate if he did know, he could have opened it up to check on the them and then when hew noticed they died just rang the authority's and played dumb , It would next to impossible to blame him

Basically normally its none of the driver's business what's In the back his job is to drive , so i'd really like to hear why the container was opened,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

It was a valid thought, my big question is the seal.

All containers are seal bolted for the driver to remove the seal without the security of the port there or at the actually delivery point is a big deal ,

He would have to have heard something vey very worrying to do this or the movement in the back was making it seriously dangerous for him to drive but i'd imagine if that was the case he would have just waited and called the delivery address in the morning and told them he was going to do it ?

Even with a lose load that wasn't causing him trouble to drive he would normally just continue to the delivery address as its not his fault as he did not load the container ,

Devils advocate if he did know, he could have opened it up to check on the them and then when hew noticed they died just rang the authority's and played dumb , It would next to impossible to blame him

Basically normally its none of the driver's business what's In the back his job is to drive , so i'd really like to hear why the container was opened,

Do we know it was him who opened it?

Was the industrial estate not the end destination for the container?

Could he have felt the weight didnt add up to what was down on paper?

So tell me how does a piss poor man from China with no education get into Britain doing it legally ?

So tell me how does a piss poor man from China with no education get into Britain doing it legally ?

Hardly piss poor if traffickers charge 10k to get across

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Utterly heartbreaking for those poor people and their loved ones.

Don't know what source to trust anymore - I've read this on 'The Irish Post' following a Google search:

He (the driver) was released without charge late last night.

Further reports suggest that it was Robinson himself who contacted authorities in the first place to notify them of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

All containers are seal bolted

Are you sure about that?

• Advertisement

Do we know it was him who opened it?

Was the industrial estate not the end destination for the container?

Could he have felt the weight didnt add up to what was down on paper?

He was spotted In the same industrial estate earlier that day parked up asleep, The industrial estate had a delivery warehouse up to a month ago so I assume he delivered there some time in the past a knew there was space to park up ,

Probably had no time left on his taco graph or the delivery point wasn't open until the morning, so he went in picked up the container then pulled into the industrial estate for a nights kip before delivering the next day,

Even if he felt it didn't weigh up why open the seal ? (its law they must be sealed even empty containers it wouldn't get on to a port or out of one without a seal ) Its not his responsibility and he was experienced and why not ring his boss or delivery point before doing it,

Trust me its very very odd for a driver to break a seal of his own accord,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Many make the journey owing a death to the traffickers, which has to be worked off.

easypazz wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

Yes its European law
    For instance in Dublin port if a container is brought back to ship without a seal they will put one on at the gate as it enters ,(even if its empty)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Essex police have now released a statement saying that driver remains in custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Many make the journey owing a death to the traffickers, which has to be worked off.

Yes, the programme I watched focused on this. Many of these people's nightmare's continue as they find they are indentured for many years to pay for the passage.

They end up having to work for the trafficker's,
    Also ten grand for a family is a lot less than doing it legally, some may never qualify legally even with 30 grand,

People are willing to take chances for a better life, the gap between poor rural China and England is far greater than the gap between Ireland and the states and look at all the Irish in the Sates illegally,

Okay didnt know that. Seems like a massive risk for the traffickers then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm sorry but your so wrong ,
    An experienced driver would without a shadow of a doubt would relaise something was up with 39 bodies in the back,

Have you ever drove a truck with a load that is not tied down or packed securely ? 39 bodies moving around in the back would be felt by the driver ,

I've driven both static and live loads. 39 dead bodies would be a static load. He might have noticed it was harder to pull as it world equate to just over 2 tonne assuming 70kg per person average.
    However those trailers weight in at 8.5 tonne unloaded and 22 tonne load.
    Unless he was rocketing along dead bodies would not be bouncing about. Live weight would be noticeable.
    If the people were piled up at the rear (which I would doubt) trying to get out it might possibly have been light, but the weight would be on the axles.

Essex police have now released a statement saying that driver remains in custody.

Some things don't quite add up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Okay didnt know that. Seems like a massive risk for the traffickers then

No not really they have someone meet the persons and they keep them with them and they probably have some leverage on them be it we will rat you out and tell them horrible stories of what happen to them if arrested or they have loved ones at home they "can get to".

• Advertisement

Sky saying he opened the door to get paperwork and found the bodies....

I dont know a whole lot about the industry but why would paperwork be inside a sealed container

I've driven both static and live loads. 39 dead bodies would be a static load. He might have noticed it was harder to pull as it world equate to just over 2 tonne assuming 70kg per person average.
    However those trailers weight in at 8.5 tonne unloaded and 22 tonne load.
    Unless he was rocketing along dead bodies would not be bouncing about. Live weight would be noticeable.
    If the people were piled up at the rear (which I would doubt) trying to get out it might possibly have been light, but the weight would be on the axles.

Sound,
    you can also answer the question on the seal , isn't it extremely unlikely for him to remove a seal off his own accord ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Some things don't quite add up

I wouldn't read too much into it.

There has been a mass loss of life, the cops are not going to go softly softly.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No not really they have someone meet the persons and they keep them with them and they probably have some leverage on them be it we will rat you out and tell them horrible stories of what happen to them if arrested or they have loved ones at home they "can get to".

It is also a nice way of investing local currency (yuan in this case) and getting back sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Could he of been tipped off by someone via a phone call to check what the contents of the load are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sound,
    you can also answer the question on the seal , isn't it extremely unlikely for him to remove a seal off his own accord ,

I've read that the job was to move an 'empty' container so there would likely have been no seal. Like everything else this is just internet speculation at the minute though.

However if it was loaded as a multi drop then he might have stopped to check the positioning of the deliveries. Although I would have thought this would have been checked upon connection. Not necessarily always a seal on the load.

If he was parking up for the night and went to do a walk around the trailer I would think that he would have parked up better.

The truth will come out soon and hopefully the correct people will be charged. Although that will be little comfort to the families of those lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

An appalling waste of life. An avoidable tragedy. Leaving aside the reasons why these victims left their country in the first place , serious questions need to be asked of authorities in several countries as to how so many people can be moved undetected. Im mainly concerned with the Irish authorities in this instance. Its totally unacceptable that systems are not in place to scan every single container that enters the country, yes it would be a mammoth task and yes it would slow down the flow of trade but something has got to give.

Transporting 39 people in the back of a shipping container undetected is seemingly a fairly easy feat. So by extension given the country is also awash with drugs its patently obvious shipping containers and the lack of scrutiny they are subjected to is one of the ways they are getting into Ireland.

Clearly organised crime uses the massive global network of shipping containers to further their ends so perhaps now that Britain is on the brink of brexit and ireland will be a focal point of entry into the EU in its place, authorities here need to pump massive resources into detecting illegal movement of people and goods into this country.

I've read that the job was to move an 'empty' container so there would likely have been no seal. Like everything else this is just internet speculation at the minute though.

However if it was loaded as a multi drop then he might have stopped to check the positioning of the deliveries. Although I would have thought this would have been checked upon connection. Not necessarily always a seal on the load.

If he was parking up for the night and went to do a walk around the trailer I would think that he would have parked up better.

The truth will come out soon and hopefully the correct people will be charged. Although that will be little comfort to the families of those lost.

It currently EU law for container traveling by sea to be sealed , that includes Empties, I know this due to my job, Only last week Dublin port took it upon themselves seal a couple of empties that arrived back without seal's , Of course there is always human error where one is missed,

I agree lots of question on this and lots of things aren't quite adding up ,

• Advertisement

reg114 wrote: »
    An appalling waste of life. An avoidable tragedy. Leaving aside the reasons why these victims left their country in the first place , serious questions need to be asked of authorities in several countries as to how so many people can be moved undetected. Im mainly concerned with the Irish authorities in this instance. Its totally unacceptable that systems are not in place to scan every single container that enters the country, yes it would be a mammoth task and yes it would slow down the flow of trade but something has got to give.

Transporting 39 people in the back of a shipping container undetected is seemingly a fairly easy feat. So by extension given the country is also awash with drugs its patently obvious shipping containers and the lack of scrutiny they are subjected to is one of the ways they are getting into Ireland.

Clearly organised crime uses the massive global network of shipping containers to further their ends so perhaps now that Britain is on the brink of brexit and ireland will be a focal point of entry into the EU in its place, authorities here need to pump massive resources into detecting illegal movement of people and goods into this country.

The trailer was no where near Ireland it came from Belgium into Essex. So it has nothing to do with Irish authorities

Advertisement