Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Yes its European law
    For instance in Dublin port if a container is brought back to ship without a seal they will put one on at the gate as it enters ,(even if its empty)

Free movement of goods?

And how do you seal a curtain sider?

What if its just a flat bottomed trailer with loose goods strapped down under tarpaulins?

Do containers between Belfast and Scotland need to be sealed since its the same country?

Can I drive a container from Dublin to London via Scotland to avoid sealing the container?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The trailer was no where near Ireland it came from Belgium into Essex. So it has nothing to do with Irish authorities

I think he is talking in general re drugs etc entering the country.

reg114 wrote: »
    An appalling waste of life. An avoidable tragedy. Leaving aside the reasons why these victims left their country in the first place , serious questions need to be asked of authorities in several countries as to how so many people can be moved undetected. Im mainly concerned with the Irish authorities in this instance. Its totally unacceptable that systems are not in place to scan every single container that enters the country, yes it would be a mammoth task and yes it would slow down the flow of trade but something has got to give.

Transporting 39 people in the back of a shipping container undetected is seemingly a fairly easy feat. So by extension given the country is also awash with drugs its patently obvious shipping containers and the lack of scrutiny they are subjected to is one of the ways they are getting into Ireland.

Clearly organised crime uses the massive global network of shipping containers to further their ends so perhaps now that Britain is on the brink of brexit and ireland will be a focal point of entry into the EU in its place, authorities here need to pump massive resources into detecting illegal movement of people and goods into this country.

There is free movement of goods in the EU. A ferry between France and Ireland operates the same as a bridge between France and Germany, no checks at all.

Its the same as driving across the border into NI from ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

easypazz wrote: »
    There is free movement of goods in the EU. A ferry between France and Ireland operates the same as a bridge between France and Germany, no checks at all.

Its the same as driving across the border into NI from ROI.

this isn't true at all. goods arriving by ferry are checked on arrival. trucks going from french ports to the UK are checked by uk customs before they even depart france.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Why is it still being called a container, its a fridge/freezer trailer. How can you take any of the reporting at face value when they keep getting basic facts wrong.

• Advertisement

this isn't true at all. goods arriving by ferry are checked on arrival. trucks going from french ports to the UK are checked by uk customs before they even depart france.

Nonsense. If that was the case there would be checks on the border with Northern Ireland.

Nonsense. If that was the case there would be checks on the border with Northern Ireland.

Its to do with Schengen agreement which UK and Ireland aren't in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sky saying he opened the door to get paperwork and found the bodies....

I dont know a whole lot about the industry but why would paperwork be inside a sealed container

I thought any paperwork would be stuck in plastic folders on the outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I’ve read else where suggestions that maybe the driver has done this before. Seems odd that he is still being held in custody and the searches in Markethill and Laurelvale. Also locals in Grays interviewed saying they’ve witnessed people jumping out of lorries before in the same location so maybe that’s why he stopped to “check his load”. All speculation of course on my behalf but keeping an open mind on all scenarios. He could of course could be completely innocent.

prunudo wrote: »
    Its to do with Schengen agreement which UK and Ireland aren't in.

That's movement of people. I was replying to a claim that movement of goods are checked on arrival. 2 different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will be interesting to see if this was a daily working truck and driver, or was this his one and only load, and is this pickup something he does ones a month or week. That will tell a lot.
    No one has a truck on the road to pick up a trailer once a month, and drives it from Northern Ireland to do it. Where are all his fellow truck driver contacts? How come no one is coming out to defend him, it's like he's no one to anyone in the industry. Truck drivers know truck drivers.

That's movement of people. I was replying to a claim that movement of goods are checked on arrival. 2 different things.

Customs would and could set up a checkpoint near the border if they suspected something illegal was going. Similarly if border control at a ferry port want to check a load that is within their right. Whether they are checking paperwork is correct or if there are illegals on board thats up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think as much as people are jumping on the media for being too quick in publicising this man's details etc. they are also being too quick in terms of assuming his innocence.

There's a decent chance he was aware of what was in the unit he was carrying and had stopped at this location to release the 39 people illegally into the UK. Then found them dead and phoned the emergency services claiming he had not known they were in the unit.

Possibly he's an innocent victim in all this but it's also possible he's involved.

Do they know where the truck came from? Is that the Dublin to Holyhead link? Did the truck come from Ireland to drive to Kent to bring a trailer 30 minutes up the road, if so then that's so suspect.

I'd be skeptical of his involvement. Truck is too unique and recognisable. Also why transport them in an air tight fridge.

I think as much as people are jumping on the media for being too quick in publicising this man's details etc. they are also being too quick in terms of assuming his innocence.

There's a decent chance he was aware of what was in the unit he was carrying and had stopped at this location to release the 39 people illegally into the UK. Then found them dead and phoned the emergency services claiming he had not known they were in the unit.

Possibly he's an innocent victim in all this but it's also possible he's involved.

No one would hire a truck and driver in NI to come over to Uk and drive to Kent to bring a trailer 10 miles up the road. Makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Will be interesting to see if this was a daily working truck and driver, or was this his one and only load, and is this pickup something he does ones a month or week. That will tell a lot.
    No one has a truck on the road to pick up a trailer once a month, and drives it from Northern Ireland to do it. Where are all his fellow truck driver contacts? How come no one is coming out to defend him, it's like he's no one to anyone in the industry. Truck drivers know truck drivers.
    All over Facebook there are people defending him, the tangs are all vouching for him saying how nice he is but I have yet to see anyone of them explain in detail a proper explanation of his movements. It’s all very odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,146 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've read that the job was to move an 'empty' container so there would likely have been no seal. Like everything else this is just internet speculation at the minute though.

However if it was loaded as a multi drop then he might have stopped to check the positioning of the deliveries. Although I would have thought this would have been checked upon connection. Not necessarily always a seal on the load.

If he was parking up for the night and went to do a walk around the trailer I would think that he would have parked up better.

The truth will come out soon and hopefully the correct people will be charged. Although that will be little comfort to the families of those lost.

Would all trailers, especially empty ones, not be checked at ports both leaving and arriving? Seems mad if they’re not. Lack of security oversight if not too.

armaghlad wrote: »
    All over Facebook there are people defending him, the tangs are all vouching for him saying how nice he is but I have yet to see anyone of them explain in detail a proper explanation of his movements. It’s all very odd

If he drove all the way down from the North, to Dublin to Holyhead all the way down through UK to Kent to move a trailer a few mile then he's either very stupid or very involved.
    There was plenty of trucks in Kent to move it. His movements are vital, but didn't they already say he came from Dublin to Holyhead. Yes they thought he had trailer with him, but he didn't, seemed it was just him and the truck. Very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭celt262

armaghlad wrote: »

Yes if he had no load on the ferry over, what was he doing since Saturday.

Was the unit supposed to be in earlier but got delayed for some reason on the Belguim side and he was waiting for it to come across or was he hauling around the UK for the few days in between.

• Advertisement

Would all trailers, especially empty ones, not be checked at ports both leaving and arriving? Seems mad if they’re not. Lack of security oversight if not too.
    You are greatly underestimating the amount of these that come and go, and the resources available to police them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

You are greatly underestimating the amount of these that come and go, and the resources available to police them.

What kind of numbers are we talking? I'm ignorant to all this but they check all our hand luggage in Dublin Airport :) surely there can't be that many containers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No one would hire a truck and driver in NI to come over to Uk and drive to Kent to bring a trailer 10 miles up the road. Makes no sense.

The trailer is owned by an Irish company. It might have been expected to offload in the UK, and then take another cargo back to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭celt262

The trailer is owned by an Irish company. It might have been expected to offload in the UK, and then take another cargo back to Ireland.

Yes possible but i'd imagine he could have found something to haul over. Why go over on Saturday for a load on a Wednesday morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What kind of numbers are we talking? I'm ignorant to all this but they check all our hand luggage in Dublin Airport :) surely there can't be that many containers.

According to this link https://www.dublinport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/DPC-Throughput-Statistics-Q2-2019.pdf

There were 459,762 containers/ trailers went through Dublin Port in the second quarter of 2019.

That's roughly 5,100 per day.

It would be impossible to check all those.

Customs and the guards do however use profiling to target certain containers in order to increase their chances of catching contraband, or illegal immigrants etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Interesting point made by guy from Amnesty International and the law of unintentional consequences.
    His point was that pressure on the more traditional routes has led to people simply taking greater risks.
    It is an issue that may never be solved.

Interesting point made by guy from Amnesty International and the law of unintentional consequences.
    His point was that pressure on the more traditional routes has led to people simply taking greater risks.
    It is an issue that may never be solved.

Yes, now that getting through Calais has been clamped down they are crossing the English channel on little inflatable boats.

Why don't Chinese people not just holiday in UK and then disappear. Seems odd to go about it this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

If he drove all the way down from the North, to Dublin to Holyhead all the way down through UK to Kent to move a trailer a few mile then he's either very stupid or very involved.
    There was plenty of trucks in Kent to move it. His movements are vital, but didn't they already say he came from Dublin to Holyhead. Yes they thought he had trailer with him, but he didn't, seemed it was just him and the truck. Very odd.

Could very well be both stupid and involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭No Bills

I believe this is the Irish company that owns the refrigerated trailer:
    https://gtreurope.com/
    They are in the business of renting trailers.

Advertisement