Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Reefer ones normally have “S.KO cool system” or something along those lines on the top corner near the cab.

Id be more inclined to say they have a refrigeration unit stuck onto them at the opposite end to the doors, which you cant see in this picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

To clear up a few things,
    I have done fridge work in uk and Europe,
    Trailers that are shipped on ferry's don't have have been sealed although if its high value goods most likely will be, if it was me picking up the trailer I would normally check it before leaving the port but if I was really caught for time to get parked up within my daily time limit i could see how a driver gong a short distance to park would leave it until parked, paperwork for the load in the back would be common enough usually taped to back pallets,
    He probably parked and went to check paperwork and load before bed and made the grim discovery
    Also it's a very very distinctive lorry and it would no doubt be rembered by anybody who knows anything about lorrys, wouldn't be the first choice to stay under the radar If anyone was up to something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Question if it's ok to ask. How was this guy stopped?

Was it a random check or did the police get a phone call to check so and so
    He may have stopped and raised the alarm himself. It's unclear if police, acting on information, intercepted and ordered him to stop. On a technical point - do these refrigeration units continue running when a trailer is uncoupled from the tractor?

chicorytip wrote: »
    He may have stopped and raised the alarm himself. It's unclear if police, acting on information, intercepted and ordered him to stop. On a technical point - do these refrigeration units continue running when a trailer is uncoupled from the tractor?

Yes they run on a diesel engine built into the front of trailer, and a diesel tank under the trailer,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Reefer ones normally have “S.KO cool system” or something along those lines on the top corner near the cab.

I think you're being confused with the words "Thermo King" or "Carrier" which normally can be found at the front, on the fridge itself. (To be fair the angle of this shot omits the actual fridge unit)

That's definitely a Schmitz fridge though, but I prob should have gone with a Chereau photo to remove all doubt. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

copperhead wrote: »
    Trailers that are shipped on ferry's don't have have been sealed although if its high value goods most likely will be, if it was me picking up the trailer I would normally check it before leaving the port but if I was really caught for time to get parked up within my daily time limit i could see how a driver gong a short distance to park would leave it until parked, paperwork for the load in the back would be common enough usually taped to back pallets,
    He probably parked and went to check paperwork and load before bed and made the grim discovery
    Also it's a very very distinctive lorry and it would no doubt be rembered by anybody who knows anything about lorrys, wouldn't be the first choice to stay under the radar If anyone was up to something

On the day this story broke someone on the radio was saying that if the fridge is turned off, that ferry staff will start it, just in case and to avoid issues. Terrible thought and stroke of bad luck if true. Would that happen in your experience?

Plausible explanation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Odelay

On the day this story broke someone on the radio was saying that if the fridge is turned off, that ferry staff will start it, just in case and to avoid issues. Terrible thought and stroke of bad luck if true. Would that happen in your experience?

Ferry staff don’t start fridges, that is not their job. The fridge may well be carrying something that should not be frozen such as fruit that could be coming from that destination.

Odelay wrote: »
    Ferry staff don’t start fridges, that is not their job. The fridge may well be carrying something that should not be frozen such as fruit that could be coming from that destination.

Fair enough, but the guy clearly said it.

Prompts another question: Do you have to declare to the ferry people what is in trailers etc? Would they not need to know like an aircraft would?

Its very doubtful that ferry staff would have plugged it in tbh,

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but the guy clearly said it.

Prompts another question: Do you have to declare to the ferry people what is in trailers etc? Would they not need to know like an aircraft would?

Usually done when booking a trailer as either a running fridge or if it contains haz material etc, but the people at the terminal gates would have been told if it was to be running or not aswell and running fridges would be dropped in different lanes for the shunters to put on the boat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can o worms emerging IMV.

The brexiteers are loving this. Quo vadis?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If he was stopped by the police on the road and asked to produce the manifest for his load then he would have to break the seal to get it would he not?
    Can’t understand why it would be locked in the container at all. Doesn’t make sense.

If he was stopped by the police on the road and asked to produce the manifest for his load then he would have to break the seal to get it would he not?
    Can’t understand why it would be locked in the container at all. Doesn’t make sense.

Firstly if the trailer was empty there would be no need of a seal.

Secondly where else in the trailer would you suggest he put the paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

It's the way it is. I take in 3 containers from germany every week and if it's full the seals are on the door and the paperwork is in a little yusen logistics bag inside. We do have to cut the yellow seals off and fetch the paperwork ourselves.

Itv news now going full in that its possibly an irish operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

celt262 wrote: »
    Where did u see he took a load from Ireland to UK? I have only heard reports that he didnt pull anything across to UK.

My assumption, it would be very unusual for a tractor unit to travel without a trailer to the UK from Ireland. Seen as a pointless cost, unless positioning for a specific job which does happen occasionally.
    Or, could be an independent / sole trader haulier looking for work and decided to head over empty to collect the trailer as he couldn't get anything on the outbound. (current environment for UK-IE haulage is that there is a shorter supply of eastbound than westbound business.. this chops and changes but I have certainly had to look harder in the last couple of weeks to get inbound loads covered).

sdanseo wrote: »
    My assumption, it would be very unusual for a tractor unit to travel without a trailer to the UK from Ireland.

Itv news just said trailer left northern ireland a week or so ago, it was leased to a company south of the border. It crossed from dublin, made a couple of stops in england, crossed the channel, only went as far as belgium and lille, back across the ferry and picked up by a northern irish driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

easypazz wrote: »
    Itv news now going full in that its possibly an irish operation.

Points this way. If so, someone has taken no account of our own past. Embarrassing is the least of the adjectives I could forward.

Itv news just said trailer left northern ireland a week or so ago, it was leased to a company south of the border. It crossed from dublin, made a couple of stops in england, crossed the channel, only went as far as belgium and lille, back across the ferry and picked up by a northern irish driver.

All sounds fairly routine, assuming of course it was connected to a trailer. Drivers swap all the time for tacho reasons.
    If it did all that on the bounce (no trailer) something is up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

The brexiteers are loving this.

You mean the Irish who want to bring in every person with the slightest whim of living in Ireland instead of helping the native homeless are loving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭No Bills

sdanseo wrote: »
    All sounds fairly routine, assuming of course it was connected to a trailer. Drivers swap all the time for tacho reasons.
    If it did all that on the bounce (no trailer) something is up.
    From what I read, this is a report on the movements of the refrigerated trailer rather than the truck/tractor.
    Are ITV getting these details from the Irish company (GTR) that rented out the refrigerated trailer? Reports at 6 o'clock said that GTR had not been contacted by UK police.

No Bills wrote: »
    From what I read, this is a report on the movements of the refrigerated trailer rather than the truck/tractor.
    Are ITV getting these details from the Irish company (GTR) that rented out the refrigerated trailer? Reports at 6 o'clock said that GTR had not been contacted by UK police.

News I heard said GTR had a tracking device on the trailer and were handing details over to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

They made a statement to RTE earlier today. So this is the "Irish connection". Leased refrigerated unit over a week ago from Monaghan based company and collection at port by independent cab driver.

The refrigerated trailer was leased on October 15 from Global Trailer Rentals’ yard in Co Monaghan, in the Republic of Ireland, at a rate of 275 euro (£237) per week.

The company said it provided police with information about the person and company that leased the trailer, as well as offering to make tracking data available.

Its directors said the company was “entirely unaware” the trailer was to be used in this manner.

I gather from other press resports that this chap is an independent.

Most hauliers and trailer hire companies have GPS at this point. The tech has got cheap and kit it protects is very expensive. If this lad is an indy he may not have had GPS, that said. It's likely they've volunteered the information the the Guards by now and passed it along.

Europe looks big but Holyhead to Belgium is a day's drive. You can do two round trips between Ireland and Benelux with full loads, boxes as opposed to curtains lend themselves to higher value cargo and more full loads / single drop / fast turnaround.
    STB. wrote: »
    They made a statement to RTE earlier today. So this is the "Irish connection". Leased refrigerated unit over a week ago and independent collection at port.

The refrigerated trailer was leased on October 15 from Global Trailer Rentals’ yard in Co Monaghan, in the Republic of Ireland, at a rate of 275 euro (£237) per week.

The company said it provided police with information about the person and company that leased the trailer, as well as offering to make tracking data available.

Its directors said the company was “entirely unaware” the trailer was to be used in this manner.

Independent haulier would make sense - in terms of the empty run to UK for work, and lack of any meaningful livery on the tractor.

It also makes sense re the trailer hire rate. I'd regard €275 a week as a bit expensive. Bigger companies pay less but pay faster, a safer bet. The little guys pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It is also reported to have arrived at in the UK through the port of 'Purfleet', on the River Thames.

Which may be one of the dozens upon dozens of smaller SE coastal ports that are considered 'less busy' and often unmanned, without x-ray machines, or border force folks readily at hand.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50154883

Imagine/hope there would be sort of major border force recruitment drive at ports ongoing across uk & Ire (and France/Bel) with the brexit looming.

It is also reported to have arrived at in the UK through the port of 'Purfleet', on the River Thames.

Which may be one of the dozens upon dozens of smaller SE coastal ports that are considered 'less busy' and often unmanned, without x-ray machines, or border force folks readily at hand.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50154883

Imagine/hope there would be sort of major border force recruitment drive at ports ongoing across uk & Ire (and France/Bel) with the brexit looming.

Zeebrugge to Purfleet is an extremely popular route operated by CLDN - the vessels on the lane have anything up to 8000 lane metres and it's possibly the busiest Ro-Ro service in Europe.
    You can be absolutely guaranteed there are comprehensive HMRC / Border Force checks in place.
    http://www.cldn.com/sailing_schedules_html/sailing_zee_pur.html

STB. wrote: »
    They made a statement to RTE earlier today. So this is the "Irish connection". Leased refrigerated unit over a week ago from Monaghan based company and collection at port by independent cab driver.

It was leased from a company (global trailer rentals) north of the irish border to a company just south of the irish border.

Thats what I took from itv.

Tractor and trailer were not together all the time afaik.

So either a criminal gang along the irish border are involved or the migrants loaded into the container by chance unknown to the driver. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Reefer probably cut in itself, and they were frozen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It was leased from a company (global trailer rentals) north of the irish border to a company just south of the irish border.

Thats what I took from itv.

Tractor and trailer were not together all the time afaik.

So either a criminal gang along the irish border are involved or the migrants loaded into the container by chance unknown to the driver. Time will tell.

GTR are the leasing company who state that they did not know that it was going to used for the purposes it was. They are registered in Monaghan, but have various locations including Dundalk and Monaghan and an office in Dublin. The refrigerated unit was leased on 15th October from the Monaghan depot.

Details have been provided to the police about those that leased it. The questions remain who they are, who picked it up, where the refrigeration unit went and who dropped it at Zeebruggee. Then who hired the independent cab driver to pick it up.

These are the questions journalists have failed to get responses to.

All that has been released is fine detail of the independent cab chap who picked up the leased refrigerated unit when it docked in Essex and who made the discovery and reported it.

Advertisement