Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yeah. “Bit of a hitch Mrs your kid is dead. Lookit I’m in a generous mood today and I’m a decent guy so here’s your money back. Sure listen, you can try again with one of your other kids next year when the heat dies down. Have a good weekend now”.

Only many families only have one child as per the one child law their entire lives ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Only many families only have one child as per the one child law their entire lives ruined

Seems now it looks like they’re Vietnamese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Latest is Human Rights group in Hanoi on Sky News said a Vietnamese woman fears her daughter is one of the victims. Sent a text saying she couldn't breathe (horrific thought) at one point to her. Last she heard from her.

Actually felt sick reading that report, what an absolutely horrific message to receive from your daughter, can't even begin to imagine how helpless they must have felt. And for the daughter to be apologising for not succeeding - heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Breaking news on the BBC is that 3 Vietnamese families have contacted them regarding their loved ones who they last heard from on Tuesday,
    One family said that their daughter phoned them to say that she was suffocating.
    They’ve not heard from her since.
    Two other families said that the people traffickers have returned their money.

I'd take the last sentence with a pinch of salt myself tbh.

That’s what the BBC say the Vietnamese told them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Seems now it looks like they’re Vietnamese.

No the girl they think has been identified is vietnamese but had been living in China after going there for a better life according to daily mail

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Understandable though if this originated and was organised at a local level ie in Vietnam. It's highly feasible the trafficers would only get paid when the people arrived at their intended destinations.

I guess we'll learn more as time goes on. Honestly the more this horrific tragedy unravels the worse it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

Isn’t it a terrible indication of what a ****ed up world we live in where people feel they literally have to take their lives in their hands to reach a country where they think they will have a better life (I’d question how much better it actually is to be honest) We can all be cynical about bogus asylum seekers and illegal immigrants, but it’s just awful that people feel they have to resort to this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

sky news have a picture of the lady thats "feared missing"

Have the media outlets no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That’s what the BBC say the Vietnamese told them.

Yeah, I'm not doubting what the BBC reported, I just doubt that Vietnamese human traffickers would be running about with refunds.

Wouldn't be the most moralistic of folk them human traffickers I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bazzy wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah, I'm not doubting what the BBC reported, I just doubt that Vietnamese human traffickers would be running about with refunds.

Wouldn't be the most moralistic of folk them human traffickers I imagine.

Plus the risk of being seen and identified returning money. Least contact for them the better. Can’t see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sky News:
    A road haulage expert said the lorry container looked like a refrigerated one.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

trashcan wrote: »
    Isn’t it a terrible indication of what a ****ed up world we live in where people feel they literally have to take their lives in their hands to reach a country where they think they will have a better life (I’d question how much better it actually is to be honest) We can all be cynical about bogus asylum seekers and illegal immigrants, but it’s just awful that people feel they have to resort to this type of thing.

Well, you'll have to wait till the full story emerges but there is a narrative that these poor people were indebted in some way back in their home country and were obliged/ encouraged to go to Europe to pay off their debts.

If it's true and they are Chinese and were in this situation, then China has some cheek giving out about countries in Europe failing their citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why do people who made it to Europe need to get to UK. They are suuppose to seek asylum in first safe country, not die in a back of a truck seeking the promise land, the one country in EU that wants to stop free travel and stop helping such people. Should have stayed in Belgium or Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Why do people who made it to Europe need to get to UK. They are suuppose to seek asylum in first safe country, not die in a back of a truck seeking the promise land, the one country in EU that wants to stop free travel and stop helping such people. Should have stayed in Belgium or Germany.
    Headed for soup kitchens in Soho perhaps, likely no intention of asylum (unlikely to recieve it from China). Maybe simply economic migrants heading tax-free earnings in the blackmarket making someone's lunchtime fried rice.

Of course only speculation. If anything the uk should be recieving folks from H'Kong due to very close ties, and the genuine ongoing risks to freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Why do people who made it to Europe need to get to UK.

Can't understand that either tbh...surely they'd be better off in mainland europe..unless they had family in the UK already

No the girl they think has been identified is vietnamese but had been living in China after going there for a better life according to daily mail

Oh right. Jesus the story is changing on the hour.

Bazzy wrote: »

I’d imagine her family gave them the picture in the hope she’d be identified? At least they’d know.

Now BBC interview with Vietnamese individual (didn't catch which group) revealed as many as 11 Vietnamese families who contacted them (so far) potentially involved. More updates to come apparently.

Looking more like Vietnamese than Chinese at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

trashcan wrote:
    The internet, specifically social media, plays a big part in this type of thing. You see people enjoying themselves and going on about how great life is. You are sitting in a poor country and you see a former friend who is now living abroad posting pictures about visiting Stonehenge, going to a premier league game, having a great birthday party or a barcecue and you will want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I read an answer to this very question in one of the broadsheets in the UK and likewise why there are queuing up at Calais to cross over. Surely France is a nicer place to be a refugee?

The answer: Basically, because there is an abundance of siht low skilled low paid jobs in the UK. Far more than in Europe and the gig economy is thriving. Also, lower unemployment than most European countries which means less unemployed natives getting angry and making your life hell.

Enforcement and surveillance is rubbish over here too- the Brits love making rules but not so good at enforcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It’s one of the most riduculous things I’ve ever read here.

Also singularly inappropriate and disrespectfully callous. 39 people are dead. Horrifically dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Breaks my heart that text exchange. FFS!

One you put a face to a victim it's a 1000 times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

eagle eye wrote: »
    The internet, specifically social media, plays a big part in this type of thing. You see people enjoying themselves and going on about how great life is. You are sitting in a poor country and you see a former friend who is now living abroad posting pictures about visiting Stonehenge, going to a premier league game, having a great birthday party or a barcecue and you will want that.

Another poster earlier was discussing a TV Interview with a guy who helps combat people trafficking from China. Apparently, the traffickers show potential clients old TV shows like Darling Buds of May and tell them that England really is like that. That it's all quaint rural villages, with quaint country English folk just waiting to welcome them with open arms.

If that is the case, then it's no wonder they want a slice of that for themselves and their children. And it's all the more tragic that they're being sold lies and risking their lives for lies.

News Conference with Essex Police @ 6 this evening. Sky news just now.

Also interview with woman Vietnamese BBC Service referred to in previous post, re-iterated fact that money had been returned to family (stated Vietnam) reinforced their fears that their daughter was amongst those who were being smuggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Graces7 wrote: »
    Also singularly inappropriate and disrespectfully callous. 39 people are dead. Horrifically dead.

not sure how any of what i said is in apropriate or disrespectfull in any way.

i am in no way calous.

i have said that the people responsible are sick horrible people.
    these comments came about from me thinking that the drivers isnt part of th gang and his actions back that up as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

not sure how any of what i said is in apropriate or disrespectfull in any way.

i am in no way calous.

i have said that the people responsible are sick horrible people.
    these comments came about from me thinking that the drivers isnt part of th gang and his actions back that up as far as i can see.

Stick to the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

celt262 wrote: »
    Stick to the day job.

ironically my day job involves some minidigger and ground works

im sorry but there is nothing wrong with what i have said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I read an answer to this very question in one of the broadsheets in the UK and likewise why there are queuing up at Calais to cross over. Surely France is a nicer place to be a refugee?

The answer: Basically, because there is an abundance of siht low skilled low paid jobs in the UK. Far more than in Europe and the gig economy is thriving. Also, lower unemployment than most European countries which means less unemployed natives getting angry and making your life hell.

Enforcement and surveillance is rubbish over here too- the Brits love making rules but not so good at enforcing them.

I would say not having any national ID card is also a big factor. Practically all mainland European countries have a national ID card making it more difficult for an illegal immigrant to remain under the radar in mainland Europe.

Advertisement