Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

4th man arrested at Stansted Airport...doing a runner?
    Could have just arrived too and presented himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A crack down on traffickers and those prepared to employ this kind of labour is badly needed.

There should be no excuses like 'I didn't know their status', for the employers.

The moderm Left will accuse anyone doing that of racism though.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

4th man arrested at Stansted Airport...doing a runner?

Or arriving in to support family member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Danzy wrote: »

I know you are desperate to score a point, whatever the situation, but trade unions have been raising this issue for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

1641 wrote: »
    I know you are desperate to score a point, whatever the situation, but trade unions have been raising this issue for years.

Th at is why I said the modern Left, the left is a different beast now.

I always support trade unions, they, co op movements etc were some of the finest moments in our history and further afield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I doubt the 'modern left' or the past or future left would have a problem with a crack down on exploitative traffickers and exploitative bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

screamer wrote: »
    Whilst I am sorry that these people died, we can’t take in the whole world. It’s why we have borders in the first place. As the world population increases, and life gets tougher, we’ll see a swing to strengthening borders.

The fact that 39 people suffocated or froze to death inside a refrigerated trailer trying to get in to the UK would indicate to me that the borders have already been strengthened tbh, illegals will find it fairly difficult to saunter right into here, the UK, or many other western countries.

I doubt the 'modern left' or the past or future left would have a problem with a crack down on exploitative traffickers and exploitative bosses.

Well they help them out in the Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

There should be no excuses like 'I didn't know their status', for the employers.

Employers face very heavy fines for employing illegals so checks are vital. That is not to say it acts as a deterrent for some of the more unscrupulous ones who want cheap labour, but nonetheless the fines do exist. In addition some documents can be forged, of course. While,it's impossible to enforce 100%, simply because they haven't got the staff, workplaces are frequently raided in an effort to catch illegals.

Likewise with renting, landlords are obliged to carry out 'Right to Rent' checks on prospective tenants before letting to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The fact that 39 people suffocated or froze to death inside a refrigerated trailer trying to get in to the UK would indicate to me that the borders have already been strengthened tbh, illegals will find it fairly difficult to saunter right into here, the UK, or many other western countries.
    Unless thousands more Border Patrol staff are hired and the quota of checking just 1 out of every 3-400 containers increases, can't see it anytime soon as demand increases with globalisation.

Then there's bargain flights, small vans (co. laois twice had small gangs leap out of small trucks and vanish into thin air), regular sailings, and even self propelled dingies/small craft.
    - Maritime authorities in northern France say over 1,400 migrants have tried to reach Britain’s shores by sea between January and August this year, compared with just 586 for the whole of 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All four people arrested are Irish according to the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

fact that those people werent dropped of anywhere in EU at some field, for me shows that those were poor class conned slaves.

if 30k is to be believed and people cant figure out getting paperwork to get to UK makes no sense.

as to take 39 people one would have clear idea where they will be used, so shows large criminal enterprise, not some few middle class runners employed to carry task of bringing em in and be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think this event is just too tragic for petty agenda's and point scoring. 39 lives were unnecessarily lost. Left, Middle and Right are shocked and saddened.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think there is a method at ports to detect carbon dioxide in trailers, hence the use of a seal refrigerated trailer so avoid the breathe of people escaping into those detectors. But surely they'd have know that air would run out.
    They should have put oxygen tanks in with them to keep them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I think there is a method at ports to detect carbon dioxide in trailers, hence the use of a seal refrigerated trailer so avoid the breathe of people escaping into those detectors. But surely they'd have know that air would run out.

Yes they stick in a hand held probe and it measures carbon dioxide.simple enough gadget looks like a breathalyser

What about the -25° temperature though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hypothermia hasn't been mentioned here and it's unavoidable in the cold conditions which were more than likely used to make the victims undetectable. Even with oxygen they would have struggled to remain alive. It could have been a major factor.

What about the -25° temperature though?

Did the Reefer kick in on a timer, is that what killed them or lack of air. Judging by texts it was lack of air.

Did the Reefer kick in on a timer, is that what killed them or lack of air. Judging by texts it was lack of air.

Pretty sure I read they were found frozen to death in the media, but in fairness there's loads of conflicting reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

dd973 wrote: »
    Won't be the last time such a thing happens, the UK, especially the big English cities and the South East are uniquely vulnerable to mass migration, no language, bureaucracy or culture to get past or navigate as you'd have to in Denmark or Austria. Other nations, even us, to a certain extent play by the rules. Over there is a bottomless pit of toilets like Hounslow, Luton, Slough, Hayes, Wembley, Handsworth, Leicester, Salford, Brent, Tower Hamlets, Bradford et al to vanish into and live in the shadow economy that Blighty Plc admonishes on one hand and actively encourages on the other, cheap labour, uber drivers, etc.

The composition of the UK nation state as well is a factor, most countries are ethnocentric in the sense of having to be from there or naturalised there in order to hold it's passport and call yourself Irish, Dutch, German, Portuguese, etc, 'British' or 'UK' is a nothing no-mark nationality, why shouldn't an Englishman for example have an English passport and a Scot, a Scottish one? British Nationalists abhor such a notion because of the hornet's nest it would open up.

What an absolute load of verbal diiarrhoea. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pretty sure I read they were found frozen to death in the media, but in fairness there's loads of conflicting reports.

I thought the same and that was the reasoning the bodies had to be taken away still in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

While we do not have the full story, the victims are unlikely to be the 'poorest of the poor'. The poorest of the poor are simply too poor to be able to afford to buy their way out.

You have to raise significant cash to pay for this- you can only do that if you have capital and family to help. Likely to be from lower middle class/upper working class families. Sure, 'poor' by our standards but not necessarily in Vietnam or China etc.

The figure being thrown around is £30k. Let's put it this way, how many of us here could rustle up £30k.

Ah so they're only middle class people, doesn't matter if they're dead so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Ah so they're only middle class people, doesn't matter if they're dead so?

Of course it matters if they are dead. But these people did not choose to break the law out of some absolute necessity, but because it suited their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If they were frozen the driver probably heard them clunking around in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Likeabossboss

Excuse my ignorance but why didn’t they just fly in? There’s no legal barriers to fly from Vietnam to the UK bar a holiday Visa.

Was it that they were arrested in their home country or previously outstayed their holiday visa in the UK or what?

Must be the name that draws them

UNITED KINGDOM

Must be told it's a magical place with streets paved with gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is going around in my head since I first heard about it. The fear the poor buggers must have felt is unfathomable. I hope the scum that did this suffer greatly for their actions. Horrific.

The people in Vietnam although poorer seem a lot happier in my opinion than people over this direction. What warped dreams are they being sold about the British Isles being some sort of paradise.

At first I thought he had nothing to do with it but now I'm thinking he was involved, maybe his first time doing it and with twins on the way (,according to media) he might have naively thought it would be a quick way to earn extra money.
    When he arrived to pick up the TRAILER and noticed the refrigeration unit on he pulled into the first place he could to check on the people inside and when he saw them he probably did faint in shock.

That's just my two cents anyway but I'm no detective so maybe he is completely innocent, only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I thought the same and that was the reasoning the bodies had to be taken away still in the trailer.

maybe it was just handier, more practical, to transport them in the refrigerated container

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

maybe it was just handier, more practical, to transport them in the refrigerated container

Agree. Also too much press intrusion in the first location as well. After all they were first transported to Tilbury where ambulances have been transferring the bodies to the hospital in Chelmsfort in small numbers all day.

Advertisement