Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

He was arrested on 'suspicion' of murder. And if he is involved with the shipment I think he will be charged with it. I hope anyone involved with it is, actually. Probably downgraded to accessory to murder though or manslaughter.

Yes of course. Meant to say on suspicion. Even so they haven't in the course of the investigation downgraded it at any point despite what I mentioned earlier. At any rate murder involves a planned, deliberate and intentional act.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Apologies, have not read any posts in this thread yet. Question has probably been asked many times:

Why was the Lorry refrigeration on? Surely the smugglers would know this would end in death and trouble for them ?

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Is it any surprise?!...profiteering aside why; oh why are irish people so aggressively actively engaged in trafficking people toward these shores

Hang on, although they're being held in custody, we've no proof whatsoever they are involved! Currently they're the only people the police can link to this appalling tragedy. Doesn't mean they're guilty!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭No Bills

Apologies, have not read any posts in this thread yet. Question has probably been asked many times:

Why was the Lorry refrigeration on? Surely the smugglers would know this would end in death and trouble for them ?
    I'm not sure that we do know that the refrigeration was on. Do we? I believe this type of refrigerated trailer is airtight. Even if the trailer is not refrigerated, there is a finite air supply.

The traffickers use these trailers because they are unlikely to be opened for inspection while in transit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

No Bills wrote: »
    I'm not sure that we do know that the refrigeration was on. Do we? I believe this type of refrigerated trailer is airtight. Even if the trailer is not refrigerated, there is a finite air supply.

The traffickers use these trailers because they are unlikely to be opened for inspection while in transit.

I doubt it was on, they wouldn’t have lasted anytime if it was. Purely speculating but I guess the air supply ran out and they suffocated :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

I read a report that sealed refrigerated units that do not have the refrigeration on (or set at a very limited refrigeration temperature) are much more likely to arouse suspicion and be subject to checks. Also, that traffickers often load victims on the understanding that it will not be refrigerated but subsequently turn it on.

1641 wrote: »
    I read a report that sealed refrigerated units that do not have the refrigeration on (or set at a very limited refrigeration temperature) are much more likely to arouse suspicion and be subject to checks.

Yes, a driver of these units interviewed by BBC said the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Is it any surprise?!...profiteering aside why; oh why are irish people so aggressively actively engaged in trafficking people toward these shores

Why is any nationality involved in crime? We aren't immune to it.

*Assuming they are guilty of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I read a report that sealed refrigerated units that do not have the refrigeration on (or set at a very limited refrigeration temperature) are much more likely to arouse suspicion and be subject to checks. Also, that traffickers often load victims on the understanding that it will not be refrigerated but subsequently turn it on.

There is air circulation if they are on apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I was thinking might have something to do with less chance of bringing attention if switched on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

I would think that if they were found naked/semi-naked (as reported) then the refrigeration was off for much of the journey and they were overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

KingBobby wrote: »
    I would think that if they were found naked/semi-naked (as reported) then the refrigeration was off for much of the journey and they were overheating

Hypothermia can cause you to take off clothing. Paradoxial undressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question about all this.

Surely in a situation like this, that would mean you deliberately put people into a container and sealed it, then turned on the chiller to kill them. Pre-meditated.

If you put people into a trailer to smuggle them and they die accidently in other circumstances, surely that is manslaughter? No?

The 25yr old driver is being questioned on suspicion of murder.

One for the truckers here or mechanically minded: Would there not be a simple way to allow air into the trailer by opening a valve on the fridge unit?

Reason I ask is, that even criminals don't want the hassle of 39 bodies on their hands and to put them in a sealed container seemed to be a bolt on way to kill them as 39 people would use up the air very quickly. Hard to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

easypazz wrote: »
    Irish couple involved according to the indo.

looks like slab and the crew have expanded from blowing people up, to diesel laundering, to mass murder.
    To a moron, maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

armaghlad wrote: »
    To a moron, maybe

Of course you are right. There is no way guys involved in diesel laundering would diversify into people smuggling.

Of course you are right. There is no way guys involved in diesel laundering would diversify into people smuggling.

You did imply they had gotten into 'mass murder'. Bit different.

You did imply they had gotten into 'mass murder'. Bit different.

Of course. 39 people is not mass murder. Silly me.

Because it’s such an obvious progression to go from washing diesel in a shed in Culloville to smuggling Chinese people halfway around the globe. Wise up

Because it’s such an obvious progression to go from washing diesel in a shed in Culloville to smuggling Chinese people halfway around the globe. Wise up

Its only from northern france and belgium they would be bringing them from. Somebody else gets them that far. Wise up.

• Advertisement

Your implication is that if they were involved in this they did it specifically to murder these people.

That is fantasy land tbh. Whoever did this did it for profit.

Your implication is that if they were involved in this they did it specifically to murder these people.

That is fantasy land tbh. Whoever did this did it for profit.

I am only going on the police saying they arrested a man on suspicion of murder.

I know they are in it for profit but now they have 39 bodies.

Its only from northern france and belgium they would be bringing them from. Somebody else gets them that far. Wise up.
    Ok so lets get this straight, asylum seekers, illegal immigrants and the like are coming 1000s of miles to Europe and you think the south Armagh IRA have muscled their way in to bring them off the ferry to deliver them to somewhere in south east England. Ok

I know they are in it for profit .

But the sensationalist 'mass murder' comment looks so much better eh? :rolleyes:

Ok so lets get this straight, asylum seekers, illegal immigrants and the like are coming 1000s of miles to Europe and you think the south Armagh IRA have muscled their way in to bring them off the ferry to deliver them to somewhere in south east England. Ok

Well the evidence I have seen so far is 4 irish arrested, 2 companies near the border involved in the lease of the trailer and tractor unit and not much else.

It looks to me like an Irish criminal operation are involved.

Well the evidence I have seen so far is 4 irish arrested, 2 companies near the border involved in the lease of the trailer and tractor unit and not much else.

It looks to me like an Irish criminal operation are involved.

Nobody has been charged with anything yet...but you have the whole thing solved, The Case Of The Mass Murdering Diesel Washers? :)

Nobody has been charged with anything yet...but you have the whole thing solved, The Case Of The Mass Murdering Diesel Washers? :)

No I havent solved anything. Its just hard to think all these irish people are just caught up in this by coincidence.

Is that what you are expecting? All these irish people to b e released without charge and a criminal gang from some other country just happened to hire them in. Is that your read on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Smuggling is not mass murder genius. I know you're smart enough to get what he's saying, why would anyone intentionally try to seem dumber than they are in actuality? Boggles the mind.

PostWoke wrote: »
    Smuggling is not mass murder genius. I know you're smart enough to get what he's saying, why would anyone intentionally try to seem dumber than they are in actuality? Boggles the mind.

Just quoting the police arrested the guy on suspicion of murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Hypothermia can cause you to take off clothing. Paradoxial undressing.

I didnt know that, thanks for the info. Then one would assume their end came from hypothermia? Either way, absolutely horrific

Advertisement