Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

antix80 wrote: »
    Why is it just the lorry driver being arrested?

Because that's the guy that was caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered before . How would the container ( I don’t know the official word ) get off the ferry to be picked up by Mo Robinson on the dock ?
    Or is it normal for one truck to load it on and another truck to load it off ?

Unaccompanied trailers are shipped all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Why Monagahan in quotes - it was known from start that he was from Portadown

He is "from" MarketHill, if these details are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

vicwatson wrote: »
    Unaccompanied trailers are shipped all the time

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sorry if this has been answered before . How would the container ( I don’t know the official word ) get off the ferry to be picked up by Mo Robinson on the dock ?

Shunters working for the docks

Not trucks, they're used predominantly for "shunting" trailers about the docks or on to and off fairies. yt-4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Sorry if this has been answered before .

Yes, perfectly normal , it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Yes, the charge is odd but I'm no expert on the ins and outs of that. The fact that he has been charged suggested that he had knowledge of the cargo - perhaps not the conditions. As to the links with the provos - not sure. The Times had an article yesterday where they went to his home town to interview the natives. In the middle of the town is a banner 'we support soldier F' - not exactly GAA country!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

1641 wrote: »
    Yes, perfectly normal , it seems.

Totally perfectly normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Would be fairly sickened now if i was one of those donors to the gofundmes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Probably asked before but why pay 30,000 instead of getting on a plane and staying illegally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Don't tell me there was a GoFundMe set up for the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

lola85 wrote: »
    Probably asked before but why pay 30,000 instead of getting on a plane and staying illegally?

Yes, because families with this sort of money would get the tourist visa, I really doubt the figure is that high, people with that sort of money don't just immigrate illegally in that manner. I would think that what the traffickers make is less or through some sort of bonded slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

IRE60 wrote: »
    Yes, the charge is odd but I'm no expert on the ins and outs of that. The fact that he has been charged suggested that he had knowledge of the cargo - perhaps not the conditions. As to the links with the provos - not sure. The Times had an article yesterday where they went to his home town to interview the natives. In the middle of the town is a banner 'we support soldier F' - not exactly GAA country!
    He’s from Laurelvale outside Portadown which is staunchly unionist/loyalist territory. That said there is a WhatsApp going around saying that the company that leased the trailer is owned by a prominent south Armagh businessman. Whether there is any link though remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

There was a thread on the Facebook page of a man who described himself as Mo Robinson's best friend, started because this man was sickened at the press reports. Lots of people posted support on there.

The man is no longer listed as a friend of Mo Robinson on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

For the thread:

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/essex-lorry-deaths-mo-robinson-charged-with-39-counts-of-manslaughter-11845964

From those charges it looks like he was up to his neck in it. Not sure how the manslaughter one will stick if they were already dead when he picked them up.

There were 3 lorries carrying over 100 immigrants so there were 3 drivers.
    I wonder if the 22 year old and the man in his 40’s were the other two drivers.
    Mo Robinson was charged with trafficking and money laundering too so he must have admitted everything. Maybe the poor people died as a result of the freezer turning itself on unknown to the driver as was suggested by posters here thus the manslaughter charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A fool and their money...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I guess that if you fly in legally and then disappear off the radar to stay illegally, your name is on a list and somebody is (nominally) looking for you, but this way, there is no trace of you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

armaghlad wrote: »
    He’s from Laurelvale outside Portadown which is staunchly unionist/loyalist territory. That said there is a WhatsApp going around saying that the company that leased the trailer is owned by a prominent south Armagh businessman. Whether there is any link though remains to be seen.

Does he have or had a business and house in Castleblayney?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't see why so many are worried about where the driver is from or his potential 'side'?

He has just been charged with the death of 39 people.

His political beliefs or religion mean f* all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who actually refunded the 30k?

• Advertisement

There were 3 lorries carrying over 100 immigrants so there were 3 drivers.
    I wonder if the 22 year old and the man in his 40’s were the other two drivers.
    Mo Robinson was charged with trafficking and money laundering too so he must have admitted everything. Maybe the poor people died as a result of the freezer turning itself on unknown to the driver as was suggested by posters here thus the manslaughter charges.

22yo was arrested in Dublin coming from France. He is suspected of driving the fridge trailer to the dock in Zebrugee.
    40's man was arrested at Stansted - not sure if arriving or departing (something makes me think arriving).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Police and gards really on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Walk around Limerick or any Irish city, and you'll see plenty of Chinese. Now I'm wondering if any of them have arrived in Ireland after a similar journey, and whether there is the constant dread of a visit from the police/immigration hanging over them.

An awful way to live, but you wonder what they are leaving, to make such a life seem appealing.

In UL, I work with Chinese students who are preparing to enter university, but need help getting up to scratch with academic English and so on. Those students are clearly from affluent families and the impression they portray of China is a place where the rising tide has lifted all boats, but if people are still willing to take these risks, that must be really exaggerated.

Of course, it may turn out that these are not/not all Chinese either.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't see why so many are worried about where the driver is from or his potential 'side'?

He has just been charged with the death of 39 people.

His political beliefs or religion mean f* all now.

Correct ,I agree.

However, I'm assuming though that people are trying to figure out who was behind it. This type of operation is not done solely be a few lads with a penchant for Marty Mone records.
    It has all the hallmarks of organised crime and in NI that means the paramilitaries. So I presume people are asking to figure out which 'side' were involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

How will they make a manslaughter charge stick if the people were already dead when he picked them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How will they make a manslaughter charge stick if the people were already dead when he picked them up?

He has been charged with several crimes which could lead to a manslaughter conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

also, will it be a charge of 39 deaths in a bloc or 39 separate charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

He was knowingly transporting people in a sealed container. If he had reported it the unit would have been stopped and death could have been avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Reported in the media today that the lease for the container was signed by a Ronan Hughes. Any word of anybody having got an interview with him or the the company, Hughes Transport ?
    The report said the GPS indicated that the trailer made two return trips between Britain and the continent in the days leading up to the discovery of the bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

also, will it be a charge of 39 deaths in a bloc or 39 separate charges...
    SKYNEWS wrote:
    charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Advertisement