Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't see why so many are worried about where the driver is from or his potential 'side'?

He has just been charged with the death of 39 people.

His political beliefs or religion mean f* all now.

The point is that, as is being reported in the media, the trailer did three trips in the week (not the cab) and it's thought that 100 people were bussed. This trailer was in a convoy seemingly on the continent but was delayed.

That leads me to believe that it's a highly sophisticated organised crime being committed - I can only think of perhaps four 'groups' on the island capable of this level of sophistication - so yea, his links do matter - and I couldn't give a flying f which way he blesses himself (if ever) - it's about organised crime, with clear links to this island.

Btw - I read that the fella arrested in Dublin was initially on an outstanding warrent - class pond they are swimming in!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

IRE60 wrote: »
    The point is that, as is being reported in the media, the trailer did three trips in the week (not the cab) and it's thought that 100 people were bussed. This trailer was in a convoy seemingly on the continent but was delayed.

That leads me to believe that it's a highly sophisticated organised crime being committed - I can only think of perhaps four 'groups' on the island capable of this level of sophistication - so yea, his links do matter - and I couldn't give a flying f which way he blesses himself (if ever) - it's about organised crime, with clear links to this island.

Btw - I read that the fella arrested in Dublin was initially on an outstanding warrent - class pond they are swimming in!

Not awfully sophisticated if it ended so devastatingly for those 39 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

christ game over so if guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

He was knowingly transporting people in a sealed container. If he had reported it the unit would have been stopped and death could have been avoided

With respect the people were dead before he even picked up the trailer. That’s why I asked how they can make it stick.

If it’s proven he’s involved knowingly I hope he gets everything coming to him.

With respect the people were dead before he even picked up the trailer. That’s why I asked how they can make it stick.

If he was involved in the planning that is what the manslaughter charge will cover.

• Advertisement

If he was involved in the planning that is what the manslaughter charge will cover.

Ah ok, thanks.

It’s like something from a horror movie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

To be charged with manslaughter you only have to be complicit in the act that caused a death even without knowing what caused it.

To be charged with manslaughter you only have to be complicit in the act that caused a death even without knowing what caused it.

I didn’t know that, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

so is the murder charge dropped now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

There was no such charge. He was held for questioning on suspicion of murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One would wonder if there's any links to the 11 or 12 African teenagers found over the last few weeks in N.I.

If memory serves they have all claimed to have entered via containers.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/east-african-children-in-care-of-social-services-after-being-found-in-belfasts-harbour-area-38628468.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-50172779

Obviously not enough evidence to sustain a murder charge. It was not deliberate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

...didn't someone say he was booked for manslaughter? Fake news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

banie01 wrote: »
    One would wonder if there's any links to the 11 or 12 African teenagers found over the last few weeks in N.I.

If memory serves they have all claimed to have entered via containers.

I'd say were dealing with tip of the Iceberg stuff. God knows how much of this smuggling onto the island has been happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd say were dealing with tip of the Iceberg stuff. God knows how much of this smuggling onto the island has been happening.

Woah woah, we got a link to that story of the 11/12 african lads? I mean wtf how much of this is really going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

How hard can it be for the traffickers to at least modify the containers or trailers so the people inside can open the door themselves should something go wrong? I'm not in any way trying to condone what was going on here but to lock people inside a refrigerated unit like that and them helpless until someone opens it is shocking.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Nothing in the story suggests the 39 were destined for this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

PostWoke wrote: »
    Woah woah, we got a link to that story of the 11/12 african lads? I mean wtf how much of this is really going on?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/east-african-children-in-care-of-social-services-after-being-found-in-belfasts-harbour-area-38628468.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Obviously not enough evidence to sustain a murder charge. It was not deliberate.
    Or he did a deal and gave up the names of the others

PostWoke wrote: »

My first thought in this case was that the people who died may have been across the channel more than once. There's still slavery and the like in the world. Even before the crisis in the Med Italy was full of it from reading a few sources, both Chinese and African. The cockle pickers in Morecambe bay, the lads who died a few years ago in Dundalk Bay.
    The lucky ones get here and overstay. Why seemingly not destitute people would use this method rather than just overstay is beyond me but I guess I'm missing something.

• Advertisement

Or he did a deal and gave up the names of the others

He probably melted and told all but murder was never the intention imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

1641 wrote: »
    Reported in the media today that the lease for the container was signed by a Ronan Hughes. Any word of anybody having got an interview with him or the the company, Hughes Transport ?
    The report said the GPS indicated that the trailer made two return trips between Britain and the continent in the days leading up to the discovery of the bodies.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If found guilty what is sentence for 39 manslaughter charges

Even 10 years for each offence means he would not get out until he's 415 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

1641 wrote: »
    Reported in the media today that the lease for the container was signed by a Ronan Hughes. Any word of anybody having got an interview with him or the the company, Hughes Transport ?
    The report said the GPS indicated that the trailer made two return trips between Britain and the continent in the days leading up to the discovery of the bodies.

I first heard this being suggested to me as for back as Wednesday afternoon, but for obvious reasons wouldn't repeat it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I suppose it will all come out in time the level of involvement if any that the young fella had in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Nothing in the story suggests the 39 were destined for this island.

Britain is also an island

I suppose it will all come out in time the level of involvement if any that the young fella had in this.

Fancy truck for a guy who doesn't even work it. Comes outs once a month to move a trailer.

• Advertisement

Britain is also an island

If they were referring to island other than the one this forum is based on, they might have said that.

Advertisement