Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

lola85 wrote: »
    I just mean all the English channels trying to pin this on Ireland whilst Brexit is still going on.

We have arrested suspects seemingly from both sides of the divide. We have new posters popping up from early on trying to blame it solely on UVF crime gangs. I wonder if the crime gangs that have emerged from both sides of the troubles put their differences aside and work together if the price is right? Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I just mean all the English channels trying to pin this on Ireland whilst Brexit is still going on.

Cos it is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

All the people arrested so far are Irish. What do you want the media to do, pretend that they’re not?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Reporter saying on RTE that police don't believe the masterminds of the operation are Irish.

Oh yeah. Irish people wouldnt have the intelligence to organise that type of operation

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

questions that have not seemed to come up, Who is the truck now registered to, company, or person? Who is paying the arrested drivers wages? The truck has no sign writing on it, does he own it? They arrested the previous owner, where is the current owner, sounds a bit dodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

splinter65 wrote: »
    All the people arrested so far are Irish. What do you want the media to do, pretend that they’re not?!?

Those damn Klingons putting on Irish accents

Apologies if this was already answered . I’ve gone back over pages and pages but not the entire thread.
    Who called the ambulance ? The only obvious person is the truck driver. But why would he do this if he complicit in this operation ?

He was opening the back of the lorry expecting 40 Asians to jump out and leg it.
    Maybe he did it a few times before and it worked out grand.
    I can even see how he might have told himself that he was doing these poor people a favour, bringing them on the last leg of a long journey from a poverty stricken country to the Promised Land.
    This time they didn’t jump out.
    I believe he fainted.
    They are all dead. His life is destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edgware wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Irish people wouldnt have the intelligence to organise that type of operation

Just reporting what the police are saying.

Ireland is no more immune to criminality than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

thadg wrote: »
    questions that have not seemed to come up, Who is the truck now registered to, company, or person? Who is paying the arrested drivers wages? The truck has no sign writing on it, does he own it? They arrested the previous owner, where is the current owner, sounds a bit dodge

It appears to be the drivers. The last two posts on his FB are pics of the truck with a comment from him saying "Many hard hours to get that lad"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Obviously provos have a new revenue stream since the shinners cant be seen to be knocking off banks anymore

Think you’ll find the charged truck driver is one of your crowd a flag waving loyalist UVF supporter !
    Nice try though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

hurler32 wrote: »
    Think you’ll find the charged truck driver is one of your crowd a flag waving loyalist UVF supporter !
    Nice try though

Ireland 🇮🇪 logo on the truck suggests otherwise

Edgware wrote: »

The organisers are gangs in China called Snakeheads . That’s why they’re saying that the organisers aren’t Irish.
    Tell me something.
    Is there any possible situation that can crop up where certain thick Irish people won’t flounce and huff and take offence at some insult they imagined happened in British TV? Because it’s getting beyond cringey at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Worth mentioning the truck is registered in Bulgaria although the angle is that is for tax purposes. Maybe that is normal in the industry.

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Ireland ���� logo on the truck suggests otherwise

He didnt own the truck so it is not his own personalised 'decor'. But I would like to see the link where is it shows a youngish lad like that from Armagh of all places linked to the UVF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

scwazrh wrote: »
    It is yeah . and good chance it's a gang with ties in the north not south

The couple arrested are from a small town in the Midlands. Not sure if it has been reported yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Mo Robinson from Portadown, with a DUP councillor speaking about what a nice family they are. Defintiely of the orange persuasion!

He’s got a video of a Protestant marching flute apprentice boys video on his Facebook page. His surname marks him out as Protestant. What does it matter anyway?

The way forward from here will be interesting, if they convicted 3 containers a week, say rough 100 souls, 50 weeks a year, equates to 5,000 immigrants.
    Will every container be scruntinised, can every container be checked, this container was sealed so tracking it via the GPS will find the locations it went to.
    Unfortunate that Irish people are associated with this, will only serve to strengthen Brexiteers

He’s got a video of a Protestant marching flute apprentice boys video on his Facebook page. His surname marks him out as Protestant. What does it matter anyway?

TBH he looks like one too...:pac:

The couple arrested are from a small town in the Midlands. Not sure if it has been reported yet

Yes it has. They are from Offaly.

• Advertisement

That does put a different slant on it, thanks

He didnt own the truck so it is not his own personalised 'decor'. But I would like to see the link where is it shows a youngish lad like that from Armagh of all places linked to the UVF.

You realise Armagh isn't just the few miles next to the border?

He was opening the back of the lorry expecting 40 Asians to jump out and leg it.
    Maybe he did it a few times before and it worked out grand.
    I can even see how he might have told himself that he was doing these poor people a favour, bringing them on the last leg of a long journey from a poverty stricken country to the Promised Land.
    This time they didn’t jump out.
    I believe he fainted.
    They are all dead. His life is destroyed.

Yeah that is my suspicion too.

I live in England (the west midlands) and I hear plenty of local news bulletins of people seeing lorries pulling over on the motorway and lads just jumping out and running to the hills.

TBH I can't see that he was on some well intentioned mission. It was for a quick buck plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

coastwatch wrote: »
    Their parents life savings, based on an interview with father of a young man presumed to be a victim.
    In many cases money lenders related to traffickers. Family's now have not only lost a child, brother, sister, etc but now have the debt

It was a real feature of this the way the social media campaigns started up so quickly.

I have many trucking links on my FB as my business is connected indirectly by dint of the service I offer, but my feed had several campaigns going extolling his innocence and fund raising almost immediately.

Yeah that is my suspicion too.

I live in England (the west midlands) and I hear plenty of local news bulletins of people seeing lorries pulling over on the motorway and lads just jumping out and running to the hills.

Trucking may never recover from this, politicians are a fickle crowd, profiteering at the expense of the State won't be seen kindly.

Trucking may never recover from this, politicians are a fickle crowd, profiteering at the expense of the State won't be seen kindly.

TBH this has happened before going back over the last 20 years. Nothing has changed sadly.

In fact everyone now has a decent sized computer with internet in their back pocket making it easier than ever to arrange such ventures.

Internet shopping means that trucking is bigger than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

It's happened before. Back in 2000 over 50 people died. I doubt trucking will be affected for long. Security will increase for a while and then things will go quiet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It was a real feature of this the way the social media campaigns started up so quickly.

I have many trucking links on my FB as my business is connected indirectly by dint of the service I offer, but my feed had several campaigns going extolling his innocence and fund raising almost immediately.

I had the opposite. Originally, there was a push to protest his innocence, quickly followed by a cold silence.

I know of someone who knows him in the industry, says he is a sound guy.

I was also surprised as another person here, at the quality of his property given his young age, but put that could just be what we are compared to in Dublin.

There are a number of questions in relation to opening and parking the trailer that do not add up.

Maybe he did expect them all to run off once the trailer opened - I could see a young man being sucked in by easy money, but to see him alone charged with manslaughter looks like scapegoating to me at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is nothing new. Anecdotal evidence has been around that this is happening all the time. This is why the Brits put very heavy fines on truck drivers bringing in illegals. Remember the pictures of hoards trying to get on trucks at Calais ? Truck drivers cried foul but it would appear to be the correct decision as they are best placed to profit from illegal immigrants.

Delays cost money and that cost will be passed on. So I don’t see this as end game for trucking or the illegal immigrant business. People are not wiling to pay extra at the supermarket for their goods due to delays and this will all be forgotten about in a few months.

Advertisement