Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

anewme wrote: »
    I had the opposite. Originally, there was a push to protest his innocence, quickly followed by a cold silence.

I know of someone who knows him in the industry, says he is a sound guy.

I was also surprised as another person here, at the quality of his property given his young age, but put that could just be what we are compared to in Dublin.

There are a number of questions in relation to opening and parking the trailer that do not add up.

Maybe he did expect them all to run off once the trailer opened - I could see a young man being sucked in by easy money, but to see him alone charged with manslaughter looks like scapegoating to me at this stage.

Not the way it works. He will answer for his crimes if guilty whether they catch the ringleaders or not.

If he's guilty, I am fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

All speculation but maybe he was opening the truck to let them out and found them in there and decided to do the right thing at that stage

Actually looking at the GPS tracking(s) of the trailer, it states the area around the Grays/Thurrock region as being the final stops recorded for each journey, which l in turn points to this being the final destination(s). So quite plausible in the circumstances unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

I had the opposite. Originally, there was a push to protest his innocence, quickly followed by a cold silence.

I was also surprised as another person here, at the quality of his property given his young age, but put that could just be what we are compared to in Dublin.

There are a number of questions in relation to opening and parking the trailer that do not add up.

Maybe he did expect them all to run off once the trailer opened - I could see a young man being sucked in by easy money, but to see him alone charged with manslaughter looks like scapegoating to me at this stage

Maybe true but anyone that is in the trucking game would know that a fridge (trailer) is airtight. If he signed up for this I have zero pity for him.
    It is surprising to see a lad active on facebook/instagram with pictures of his job stuck in this, he seems to have pride in his job, house etc, and seems to be well liked. Very dissapointing for his family if it turns out that he is guilty

Maybe he did expect them all to run off once the trailer opened - I could see a young man being sucked in by easy money, but to see him alone charged with manslaughter looks like scapegoating to me at this stage.

The money laundering charge casts a different light on things. There’s a lot we’re not being told. “ He is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on Monday 28 October charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering” https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/essex-migrant-deaths-mo-robinson-charged-with-39-counts-of-manslaughter-another-man-is-arrested-in-dublin-port-959960.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Is the GPS trail of the freezer unit always recorded by the owners, or could the people leasing it turn it off?.

Hopefully some good CCTV evidence can be sourced once they know the journey it took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Limpy wrote: »
    Is the GPS trail of the freezer unit always recorded by the owners, or could the people leasing it turn it off?.

Hopefully some good CCTV evidence can be sourced once they know the journey it took.

Don't think the slackers knew it had a tracker, if I were renting a container to you would I tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The money laundering charge casts a different light on things. There’s a lot we’re not being told. “ He is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on Monday 28 October charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering” https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/essex-migrant-deaths-mo-robinson-charged-with-39-counts-of-manslaughter-another-man-is-arrested-in-dublin-port-959960.html

The money laundering charge might be simply because they were moving large sums of money in an unauthorized way. If I try to move a large enough amount of cash through border controls I'll be stopped and charged too even if the origin is completely clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

strandroad wrote: »
    The money laundering charge might be simply because they were moving large sums of money in an unauthorized way. If I try to move a large enough amount of cash through border controls I'll be stopped and charged too even if the origin is completely clean.

I suspect he had a large wad of cash in the cab that he is struggling to explain or perhaps he just fessed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Yes. Surely if he was opening it up to let them out he would have waited until it was later up the road in a quieter area. .

Not necessarily. Locals who lived in very near vicinity who were interviewed (news bulletins) spoke about the spot being notorious as a drop-off for illegals. According to them reports to authorities were continually ignored. Also it was very late at night!

Not necessarily. Locals who lived in very near vicinity who were interviewed (news bulletins) spoke about the spot being notorious as a drop-off for illegals. According to them reports to authorities were continually ignored. Also it was very late at night!

Yeah fair enough. Just that in a industrial estate it will have street lights and CCTV around so it does seem rather brazen but I have also read that this port is one of the quietest and least patrolled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This chap is definitely not the brains behind the operation.

He has not been charged for the manslaughter of 39 people for nothing.

It should be said there appears to be trojan work by Gardai and Police on this crime.

He should be held fully accountable for his part.

But not alone.

Otherwise, it will just continue.

With a different Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

This chap is definitely not the brains behind the operation.

He has not been charged for the manslaughter of 39 people for nothing.

It should be said there appears to be trojan work by Gardai and Police on this crime.

He should be held fully accountable for his part.

But not alone.

Otherwise, it will just continue.

With a different Driver.

I agree he and any others involved should be held accountable - severely. But it is unlikely that the masterminds will be.
    And whether they are caught or not the "business" will continue. I doubt that they are the only "companies" in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

How come the driver was named and identified by social media so quickly but the couple from the midlands can’t be named for legal reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How come the driver was named and identified by social media so quickly but the couple from the midlands can’t be named for legal reasons?

I’m assuming because one was found in the UK and the others Ireland.

they are named. read the daily mail uk. they are living in warrington

They were named. Pictures appeared also.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Crack down on those willing to employ these people, get the word out that there is no work to be had as an illegal.

There is a hypocrisy at the heart if this business and it is that society is happy that these people are here to do dirt cheap labour. Society wont do the work nor pay the price that proper labour would make the product or service cost.

Too many turning a blind eye and then tut tutting when a tragedy like this happens.

Crack down on those willing to employ these people, get the word out that there is no work to be had as an illegal.

There is a hypocrisy at the heart if this business and it is that society is happy that these people are here to do dirt cheap labour. Society wont do the work nor pay the price that proper labour would make the product or service cost.

Too many turning a blind eye and then tut tutting when a tragedy like this happens.

Its true that we don't generally care where our cheap goods and services come from. And some supposidly legit businesses employ these people. But many will be forced into illegal trades also - sex, drugs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The couple from the Midlands have already been named, I'm not going to post the link here to where they were named as I still believe it's bad form to be doing so this soon (innocent unless proven otherwise) but I seen it today on a reputable news site (Irish website of an Irish newspaper)

In saying that, the tracking of the trailer results are fairly damning for Mr Robinson, multiple late night stops to the same secluded industrial estate on a number of occasions, from the same port?

I'm no detective, but if I were to read the lines - my guess is young Mo's job was to collect a fridge, take it to the same drop off point as has been used before and let his cargo out.

Was this stop a well used rendezvous point?

My guess is he arrives at the same spot as before - opened the door, and suddenly realised he was in serious trouble when he seen what we now know unfolded before him.

I've no clue how I might react in such a scenario, but I guess my first reaction would be the same as his, call emergency services, and literally pass out.

Unanswered questions here, which will be answered in due course is if he was fully aware of his job, or was he on a ask no questions assignment, with a cash payment, or hasnhe been at it before?

I wouldn't be hanging him out to dry just yet, there's a lot of unanswered questions here still, but it's not looking good for him by any stretch of the imagination.

It's his poor family and friends I ultimately feel for here, also his unborn children, and of course those poor unfortunates who perished, and their families.

That's not what the UK wants though, the brexit way is to rely on employers and landlords to run eligibility checks; which with unscrupulous employers is basically putting the fox in charge of the hen house. More deregulation not less is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

thadg wrote: »
    I would be surprised. Id say if he was involved he would not have much money out of it as he would be far down in the chain.
    There are a lot of overheads running trucks, and that truck is standing someone alot of money, alot of legit trucking companies have only got turnover, profits are small

It had to have been worth the risk.

If caught driver is fined €2k for each illegal on board and same fine applies to haulier.

That’s a massive financial risk so the payoff had to have been high.

I just can’t get my head around the needlessness of it. Especially seeing the pictures of those gorgeous, young, vulnerable people, all their lives ahead of them, someone’s sons and daughters and their end was so grisly and horrific all so some criminals could profit.

I hope those responsible face the full rigour if the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What’s the story with plastering the truck divers face everywhere?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,555 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've just deleted a number of posts. please do not speculate over the guilt of those who have been arrested. This is in the hands of the relevant judicial authorities. None of us are in a position to be judge and jury over these matters

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

strandroad wrote: »
    That's not what the UK wants though, the brexit way is to rely on employers and landlords to run eligibility checks; which with unscrupulous employers is basically putting the fox in charge of the hen house. More deregulation not less is on the way.

I’ve been living over here nearly 10 years. The brits always big themselves up as bastions of law and orders. They love rules.

I was used to Ireland being portrayed as the wild Wild West but it’s worse over here. Loads of rules but nobody enforces them and enforcement bodies are pathetically understaffed and resourced.

I have on more than one occasion found myself saying ‘you wouldn’t get away with that in Ireland’

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What’s the story with plastering the truck divers face everywhere?

He has loads of photos on his Facebook page. The photos are fair game as far as the papers are concerned. No law is being broken. Least of his bother tonight to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thadg wrote: »
    I would be surprised. Id say if he was involved he would not have much money out of it as he would be far down in the chain.
    There are a lot of overheads running trucks, and that truck is standing someone alot of money, alot of legit trucking companies have only got turnover, profits are small

We'll see what comes out in the wash, but I'm fairly sure I'll be proven right.

It's a nice romantic idea that there's kingpins and upper echelons that take 99% fo the money but I think the drivers actually take the lions share and profit more than anyone on these deals because they take the biggest risk.

They will find lots of cash in his house, I guarantee you that

He may be young, stupid, naive, etc...There will be all sorts of excuses but I have a feeling he's a serious profiteer from this sort of trafficking. I don't like the cut of his jib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I’ve been living over here nearly 10 years. The brits always big themselves up as bastions of law and orders. They love rules.

I was used to Ireland being portrayed as the wild Wild West but it’s worse over here. Loads of rules but nobody enforces them and enforcement bodies are pathetically understaffed and resourced.

I have on more than one occasion found myself saying ‘you wouldn’t get away with that in Ireland’

Nah.laws still easy to avade here. unless it's some motoring offence.

I agree with you. Posters keep asking why so many migrants try their luck in Calais; they should consider that France is a highly regulated country with 5 million civil servants and a strongly unionised workforce. You can't disappear there in the same way, you will be found out much sooner.

It had to have been worth the risk.

If caught driver is fined €2k for each illegal on board and same fine applies to haulier.

That’s a massive financial risk so the payoff had to have been high.

I just can’t get my head around the needlessness of it. Especially seeing the pictures of those gorgeous, young, vulnerable people, all their lives ahead of them, someone’s sons and daughters and their end was so grisly and horrific all so some criminals could profit.

I hope those responsible face the full rigour if the law.

I could be wrong but I would be surprised if a driver would have 10k out of 1 sitting, which is not alot of money on the scheme of things. A driver might be told there are 5 on board. Who can they argue with?
    The next few days will reveal a lot. The other Trucking company that are named wont get much sleep either over the next few nights, UK Police wont be fooled to easily

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We'll see what comes out in the wash, but I'm fairly sure I'll be proven right.

It's a nice romantic idea that there's kingpins and upper echelons that take 99% fo the money but I think the drivers actually take the lions share and profit more than anyone on these deals because they take the biggest risk.

They will find lots of cash in his house, I guarantee you that

He may be young, stupid, naive, etc...There will be all sorts of excuses but I have a feeling he's a serious profiteer from this sort of trafficking. I don't like the cut of his jib.

You may be right, if this is the case I would have zero pity on him. They must have some evidence to say he was charged

Advertisement