Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Limpy wrote: »
    Is the GPS trail of the freezer unit always recorded by the owners, or could the people leasing it turn it off?.

Hopefully some good CCTV evidence can be sourced once they know the journey it took.

The GPS would be on to track the trailer against being stolen, before GPS a lot of companies had a number on the roof for tracking the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

strandroad wrote: »
    That's not what the UK wants though, the brexit way is to rely on employers and landlords to run eligibility checks; which with unscrupulous employers is basically putting the fox in charge of the hen house. .

It's not the Brexit way though. Both rules were in force a long time before Brexit, the landlord's (currently being challenged) obligation being the later of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's not the Brexit way though. Both rules were in force a long time before Brexit, the landlord's (currently being challenged) obligation being the later of the two.

You're right, I should have said that it's still going to be the way while Johnson's bill diverges on workers' rights to support deregulation, and the supply of EU employees will naturally decrease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

John_Rambo wrote: »
    We'll see what comes out in the wash, but I'm fairly sure I'll be proven right.

It's a nice romantic idea that there's kingpins and upper echelons that take 99% fo the money but I think the drivers actually take the lions share and profit more than anyone on these deals because they take the biggest risk.

They will find lots of cash in his house, I guarantee you that

He may be young, stupid, naive, etc...There will be all sorts of excuses but I have a feeling he's a serious profiteer from this sort of trafficking. I don't like the cut of his jib.

What risk were they taking though? In theory the guy on the continent drops them in Zeebrugge and a port based haulier loads the container onto ship (oblivious to cargo)

On the uk side a different driver lifts the container after it has passed through security and brings the people to destination.

If port security find the migrants the trailer is traced to a defunct company and not the drivers.

Its all low enough risk and handy money for driver unless they end up with 39 bodies on board.

Any more detail on this one getting delayed while the other two got through?

Do they really switch on the unit and just assume that there won't be any delays and the people will be released before they die? Surely the operators would know that there was a big risk that they'd be dead. Why would he be doing a regular opening?

This could be as dumb as it being switched on way too early on the continent by mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

All English stations saying Irishman charged.

Not British but Irish.

Only when it suits them will they claim someone as British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

In saying that, the tracking of the trailer results are fairly damning for Mr Robinson, multiple late night stops to the same secluded industrial estate on a number of occasions, from the same port?

But the GPS was on the trailer. They would have to establish that it was Mr Robinson's truck that picked up the trailer several times. Maybe they have it on CCTV.

Anyway, they seem to have other evidence, given the multiple charges. Not looking good.

lola85 wrote: »

Not British but Irish.

Give over this hobbyhorse.

1641 wrote: »
    Give over this hobbyhorse.

Well it’s true.

There is articles this morning saying Irish people have lost their compassion and this tragedy shows it.

We’re all getting the blame here and it’s full on that its Irish people, no mention of UK or Great Britain even though the truck driver is a unionist and I’m sure he won’t claim himself to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well it’s true.

There is articles this morning saying Irish people have lost their compassion and this tragedy shows it.

We’re all getting the blame here and it’s full on that its Irish people, no mention of UK or Great Britain even though the fella is a unionist.

Is he? I'm not sure of that. Other names being associated with this thing (Ronan Hughes was mentioned) make me think he may not be. But I really don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Where does the money laundering charge come into it. Had he cash with him for delivery as well? Was it found at his property? Its a strange charge along with the rest of the charges.
    Ive a feeling he has brought the house down and there will be more arrests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Worth mentioning the truck is registered in Bulgaria although the angle is that is for tax purposes. Maybe that is normal in the industry.

Aye worth mentioning 4 days late.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Not British but Irish.

Think he was travelling on an Irish passport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Am I the only one that finds it mildly convenient that in the lead up to the Brexit deadline, and the DUP scuttling Boris' latest deal, that a big deal is being made about him being Irish/Northern Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

celt262 wrote: »
    Aye worth mentioning 4 days late.

Equivalent DOE for trucks/trailers is every 2 years in Bulgaria, and tax is approximately E50 a year, and they'll still have a European base, even if NI is out of Europe.

Am I the only one that finds it mildly convenient that in the lead up to the Brexit deadline, and the DUP scuttling Boris' latest deal, that a big deal is being made about him being Irish/Northern Irish?

Hopefully.

I’ve noticed it too and commented on it.

It’s fairly obvious what the British media are trying to achieve with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

volchitsa wrote: »
    Is he? I'm not sure of that. Other names being associated with this thing (Ronan Hughes was mentioned) make me think he may not be. But I really don't know.

Can’t talk for the others arrested but Mo Robinson has loyalist flute bands on his Facebook page and a DUP councillor on the media saying what a nice family his people are so neither he or his DUP apologists would consider themselves European not to mind Irish , surprised that he even drove through Dublin they hate us so much !

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Can’t talk for the others arrested but Mo Robinson has loyalist flute bands on his Facebook page and a DUP councillor on the media saying what a nice family his people .

I rest my case.

He’s Irish all of a sudden!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

I’ve noticed it too and commented on it.

It’s fairly obvious what the British media are trying to achieve with this.

Should the headlines be DUP supporter - member lorry driver charged in illegal immigrant manslaughter case as opposed to Irish man ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not British but Irish.

Well you can understand them saying he is Irish, as he is from the island.

You have to look at it from the perspective of UK folk. To them, all people from NI are seen as Irish. They don't have the mentality we have here about unionist this or nationalist that, to them we are all Irish (despite what the DUP might argue).

I rest my case.

He’s Irish all of a sudden!!

Well, you obviously are not an Irish republican then - "union of all Irishmen,Catholic,Protestant and Dissenter"? Green, White and Orange? Four Green Fields?

Noone in Britain says people from NI are not Irish. Same as people from Scotland are Scottish.

Anyway, why don't you start a list of people you want declared British ? I'll start you off - Rory Best, Rory McElroy, Liam Neeson, Martin McGuinness , etc, etc

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well you can understand them saying he is Irish, as he is from the island.

You have to look at it from the perspective of UK folk. To them, all people from NI are seen as Irish. They don't have the mentality we have here about unionist this or nationalist that, to them we are all Irish (despite what the DUP might argue).

Well that’s not true especially when it comes to claiming sports people from the North.

And unionists certainly don’t claim to be Irish.

Not should they have too, they are British and have every right to claim so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Not British but Irish.

The only concern you have in this whole affair is the terminology being used to describe the accused.
    What a strange world you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Can’t talk for the others arrested but Mo Robinson has loyalist flute bands on his Facebook page and a DUP councillor on the media saying what a nice family his people are so neither he or his DUP apologists would consider themselves European not to mind Irish , surprised that he even drove through Dublin they hate us so much !

you are making a few too many sectarian assumptions. Just becuase someones parents are protestant and unionist and they have lots of friends in the unionist family doesn't mean them and all rheir decendants are British. I thought the GFA gave us the right to choose. If this guy travels under an Irish passport then i don't think you can condemn media for referring to him as Irish. Its not long since posters on here were telling me everyone born on the island is Irish.
    Watch who is arrested as this progresses of the next days and which community they are connected to.

A lot of the usual - those brits are at it again, on here

hurler32 wrote: »
    Should the headlines be DUP supporter - member lorry driver charged in illegal immigrant manslaughter case as opposed to Irish man ?

He’s British and he’s from the United Kingdom.

That’s what one of his passports will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

hurler32 wrote: »

Deflect all you like. HYou wont prevent the truth comming out in due course.
    What wiskful thinking 'dup supporter'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He’s British and he’s from the United Kingdom.

That’s what one of his passports will say.

His other passport says he’s an Irish citizen.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The only concern you have in this whole affair is the terminology being used to describe the accused.
    What a strange world you live in.

Ah relax it’s just a conversation.

We all know it’s a tragedy, do you want me to keep repeating that?

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    His other passport says he’s an Irish citizen.

Exactly.

Advertisement