Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is it possible that he was supposed to turn the feerer off as soon as he left the port, but forgot, then stopped when he realised his mistake? On checking his cargo he found them frozen to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There were reports that they flew into Europe somewhere.

Wow, if that's the case, why not just fly straight into the UK? Or even just stay where they were, where they'd arrived in Europe (Europe is all first world). To be honest I'd say that life would be better if you are Vietnamese or Chinese to live in Vietnam or China instead of becoming an illegal in the UK.

There are definitely very poor regions in rural areas in both these countries, but moving to large urban areas should be safer, easier, and more profitable than anything involving getting locked in a refrigerated lorry. What exactly did England offer that Ho Chi Minh City or Chongqing could not? Or at least, what did they think they could offer?

Lots of things are possible but the reporting suggests the trailer was delayed and the people had suffocated before they arrived in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Is it possible that he was supposed to turn the feerer off as soon as he left the port, but forgot, then stopped when he realised his mistake? On checking his cargo he found them frozen to death.

Id think if had been left switched on before and during the crossing the damage would have been. Lack of air seems to have been the cause, from what I have read.

Wow, if that's the case, why not just fly straight into the UK? Or even just stay where they were, where they'd arrived in Europe (Europe is all first world). To be honest I'd say that life would be better if you are Vietnamese or Chinese to live in Vietnam or China instead of becoming an illegal in the UK.

There are definitely very poor regions in rural areas in both these countries, but moving to large urban areas should be safer, easier, and more profitable than anything involving getting locked in a refrigerated lorry. What exactly did England offer that Ho Chi Minh City or Chongqing could not? Or at least, what did they think they could offer?
    They would need but probably wouldn't get a visa to fly direct.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/vietnam/tourism/no

You’ll need a visa to come to the UK
    What’s your nationality as shown on your passport or travel document? Vietnam
    What are you coming to the UK to do? Tourism
    Will you be travelling with or visiting either your partner or a family member in the UK? No

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »
    Aye Mo Robinson is your stereotypical provo, friends with Willie Fraser on Facebook and holding an NI flag

Most of the provos were british spys paid by the queen, when it comes to making more these gangs will enlist anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Someone earlier referenced the BBC Country programme. Last week one apple farmer was bemoaning the lack of cheap labour leading to him having to leave apples to rot. He was too tight to pay a decent wage.

I didn't see the programme but this sounds a tad simplistic. I suspect that the farmer was " too tight" to pay a decent wage because he knew he would be left with no margin when his crop was supplied to the Supermarket.

We buy most of our fruit and veg in the Supermarket now and, for the consumer, price is king. If there are cheaper fruit and veg options we go for them, irrespective of where they come from. So the local farmer goes out of business.

We might as well say the consumer (you and me) is "too tight" as the farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

easypazz wrote: »
    Most of the provos were british spys paid by the queen, when it comes to making more these gangs will enlist anybody.
    I know west Brits can’t help themselves but I think this goes beyond any one particular paramilitary grouping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

He didnt own the truck so it is not his own personalised 'decor'. But I would like to see the link where is it shows a youngish lad like that from Armagh of all places linked to the UVF.

You do know that North Armagh is a loyalist hotbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The cops have seized some cars from the home of the truck owner Thomas Maher, not sure why they would take them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Am I the only one that finds it mildly convenient that in the lead up to the Brexit deadline, and the DUP scuttling Boris' latest deal, that a big deal is being made about him being Irish/Northern Irish?

The event is a coincidence but still the British Govt and media will use it to their full advantage in the context of Brexit.

You can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The event is a coincidence but still the British Govt and media will use it to their full advantage in the context of Brexit.

You can be sure of that.

This is getting silly now.

How are they going to 'use' it?

It just happened to be an Irish truck driver using flaws in Britains own borders to get these people in.

Brexit will not affect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Aegir wrote: »
    the poor souls could have been come through one of the direct ferries from France.

There is a very good chance the driver had no idea what was inside.

terrible tragedy.

Very unlikely he's not up to her s neck in people trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

A report in one of the papers today that the area of Vietnam, where most of those identified originate, is one of the poorest in the country with a very high migration rate.

Also, that a 2013 Sunday Times investigation found that young Vietnamese girls were been lured to the UK by promise of high wages in Vietnamese nail bars (which apparently have a very high reputation for high service and low cost). However, when the arrived they were forced to work in the nail bars by day and as prostitutes by night.

A different report that the annual value of the worldwide human trafficking "business" is estimated at $150 billion.

1641 wrote: »
    A report in one of the papers today that the area of Vietnam, where most of those identified originate, is one of the poorest in the country with a very high migration rate.

Also, that a 2013 Sunday Times investigation found that young Vietnamese girls were been lured to the UK by promise of high wages in Vietnamese nail bars (which apparently have a very high reputation for high service and low cost). However, when the arrived they were forced to work in the nail bars by day and as prostitutes by night.

A different report that the annual value of the worldwide human trafficking "business" is estimated at $150 billion.

It’s also been reported that some were on their way to join relatives already living in the Uk illegally. They are afraid to report their relatives disappearance because of this.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

You can be sure of that.

It looks like an Irish gang were hired to smuggle a cargo from A to B.

Above the irish gang somebody else is pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think it was the driver who dropped them off before the crossing might have been the one to leave it on.

Theory being that he would have had to drop the temperature before it got heat scanned then would have put it back to a more normal, survivable, level before it got loaded on.

The fact that they were found naked or near naked suggests they probably died of hypothermia. If they had the unit at -25C for the duration if the crossing, including any delays, when the driver in Essex opened it it would have been too late. Stories in the UK media of bloodied handprints on the inside of the truck are heartbreaking. Poor people had no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

8-10 wrote: »
    I think it was the driver who dropped them off before the crossing might have been the one to leave it on.

Theory being that he would have had to drop the temperature before it got heat scanned then would have put it back to a more normal, survivable, level before it got loaded on.

The fact that they were found naked or near naked suggests they probably died of hypothermia. If they had the unit at -25C for the duration if the crossing, including any delays, when the driver in Essex opened it it would have been too late. Stories in the UK media of bloodied handprints on the inside of the truck are heartbreaking. Poor people had no chance

Where does it say they were found naked? I can't see the driver forgetting to turn off the freezer, just doesn't seem plausible given he knows there are 39 people in the refrigerated trailer. The texts released in the press where one claims she is struggling to breath pretty much confirms to me they died via lack of oxygen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The UK government should offer an amnesty to someone who took the same route. Give them residency rights for all the information they can give about how, who and what they know.

Someone in the various trafficking support groups could put the feelers out .

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

8-10 wrote: »

Personally, I would find it difficult to believe a driver would simply 'forget' such an important task, but it's possible I guess.

As someone who has no knowledge of exactly how these refrigerated containers are 'dealt with' while on board the ferries in terms of temperature regulation etc, I'm wondering if they're just loaded on by the drivers and just left until collected OR if someone on the ship is perhaps tasked with checking them to ensure they're set and operating at the correct level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Personally, I would find it difficult to believe a driver would simply 'forget' such an important task, but it's possible I guess.

As someone who has no knowledge of exactly how these refrigerated containers are 'dealt with' while on board the ferries in terms of temperature regulation etc, I'm wondering if they're just loaded on by the drivers and just left until collected OR if someone on the ship is perhaps tasked with checking them to ensure they're set and operating at the correct level?

Probably not on such a short route but on a longer voyage refrigerated containers are checked for temp

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AloneInTheDark

Rules are no one is allowed to stay with there vehicle when on ferries "International regulations state passengers are not allowed to remain on ro-ro (roll-on/roll-off) decks as they could be in danger of asphyxiation from fire or as a result of systems used to tackle fires." Some will try it, a incident happened this year when a few lorry drivers stayed in their cabs during rough seas and one got stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't get the fridge thing either.

He'd have heard it running surely hooking up the lines to the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

Fridges can run either constant or on cycles(starts automatically when it goes a couple of degrees below the set temperature) so he might not notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The husband and wife arrested have been released without charge, as too has the guy arrested in Stansted airport, though the three of them are on bail.

Not so for Mo Robinson, he's in court in the morning, and I'm beginning to wonder just how much into the thick of things Mo is buried.

Limpy wrote: »
    The UK government should offer an amnesty to someone who took the same route. Give them residency rights for all the information they can give about how, who and what they know.

Someone in the various trafficking support groups could put the feelers out .

I wonder what intelligence was gathered from this man who arrived in Ireland in the same way
    Mr Nolan said people like Yu Ye were “vulnerable” and “unfortunate” and were “effectively modern day slaves.”

He said Yu Ye, who has no passport, had come to Ireland illegally on a lorry, via another lorry in England, after he lost his business and was in dire financial straits at home in China.

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/chinese-man-jailed-for-a-1-6m-cannabis-find-in-inishowen/7213

A hell of a lot of the grow houses or sheds/warehouses that are raided will have people in them who haven’t seen the light of day in god knows how long. They are the pawns in a very big operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The husband and wife arrested have been released without charge, as too has the guy arrested in Stansted airport, though the three of them are on bail.

Not so for Mo Robinson, he's in court in the morning, and I'm beginning to wonder just how much into the thick of things Mo is buried.

Well there's one thing for sure, Mo didn't organise all this on his own.

There are plenty of others out there involved, maybe he hasn't given them up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder what intelligence was gathered from this man who arrived in Ireland in the same way

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/chinese-man-jailed-for-a-1-6m-cannabis-find-in-inishowen/7213

A hell of a lot of the grow houses or sheds/warehouses that are raided will have people in them who haven’t seen the light of day in god knows how long. They are the pawns in a very big operation.

I live close to that grow house, and remember it well.

Apparently the set-up they had was fantastic. It had been totally custom built in a large warehouse (which I have been in on a few occasions). They were totally self sufficient, had months worth of food in stock, all washing facilities, entertainment services etc set up. Big job.

Makes you wonder just how many similar houses there are over Ireland and the UK. Then again, its all the casual drug users who are actually funding this illegal trade in people. But the average punter who smokes some weed doesn't see themselves as contributing to the problem. If only Governments could actually do something to put these criminal gangs out of business, like legalising and taxing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well there's one thing for sure, Mo didn't organise all this on his own.

There are plenty of others out there involved, maybe he hasn't given them up yet.

There's a good chance he doesn't know the main players if he's guilty then he could be just given an envelope of cash on every delivery and gets a text to tell him when the next shipment is, then again he could be a victim himself and doing this to pay off a debt one things for sure the main players backsides will be well covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

cosanostra wrote: »
    There's a good chance he doesn't know the main players if he's guilty then he could be just given an envelope of cash on every delivery and gets a text to tell him when the next shipment is, then again he could be a victim himself and doing this to pay off a debt one things for sure the main players backsides will be well covered

How could he be a victim himself? Just because he didn't organise it?

Advertisement