Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Masteryos wrote: »
    Lots of things point to him being heavily involved. I'm not sure about the travel route but considering (from what I heard on the news) that the port the trailer came in from isn't one of the bigger ports does show that they've all figured out routes to get around security from travelling with the lorry to the port that the trailer comes in from.

Going from the discussion further up the page about the manslaughter charge, I'd say the safer bet is getting sentenced for money laundering and human trafficking. Easier to put him away if they can show he was taking money for this than probably trying to get a jury to convict him over manslaughter.

He may not have been responsible for the poor people’s ultimate demise but the truck routes and unusual location to check cargo soon after collecting container really paint a picture not consistent with an innocent collection and delivery . Anyone involved in this human trafficking for money deserves the full rigours of the law which might also discourage others from making soft money smuggling humans .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I haven't seen which part of Ireland the Mahers are from but presumably with a name like that the husband at least must be of Catholic/nationalist 'stock'. I'd be surprised to find this sort of racket was 'cross-community' but presumably Mo, if involved at all, was just a footsoldier.

If they found money at his house that he can't account for and it's in the thousands he would be a bit more than a footsoldier

It's claimed on his IG account they did but it might be just hearsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

NIMAN wrote: »
    As you say, if they were dead a day before he picked up the trailer, he wasn't involved in their deaths.

Not necessarily. If it can be proven that he had prior knowledge that they were coming over in a fridge unit - which is known to be airtight and that certain 'procedures' had to be followed in regards to the refrigerator then he would have known heightened the risks involved. Hence, complicit in the outcome. i.e. he could have said - no too dangerous - use a curtainsider or bailed out. But he stayed involved. Hence the manslaughter charge.

The lure of a few easy bob and inadequate port security probably made this a handy gig - and maybe one that went to plan many times before. I know nothing about him but I can't help but wonder how he feels about all this now as he sits in jail with the death of 39 people hanging over him, a partner and kids (on the way) who might not hang around and presumably some high level criminals keeping a close eye on every development.

I'm sure this driver is not a happy bunny right now - was spotted on an english motorway recently. Photos have been sent to the police:
    EH5ap7QUcAAqFCR.jpg:medium

Masteryos wrote: »
    Going from the discussion further up the page about the manslaughter charge, I'd say the safer bet is getting sentenced for money laundering and human trafficking. Easier to put him away if they can show he was taking money for this than probably trying to get a jury to convict him over manslaughter.

I believe that accussed can be tried on multiple charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Mo Robinson’s Facebook page crowing about been proud to be British and various loyalist flags pictures is been fairly doing the rounds all over Facebook this evening .
    These type of people don’t want to be Irish so not sure why the likes of Irish independent call them Irish , displaced wannabe british lorry driver might be more appropriate!

• Advertisement

I haven't seen which part of Ireland the Mahers are from but presumably with a name like that the husband at least must be of Catholic/nationalist 'stock'. I'd be surprised to find this sort of racket was 'cross-community' but presumably Mo, if involved at all, was just a footsoldier.

They are originally from Clara in Offaly.

Source: https://extra.ie/2019/10/26/news/irish-news/irish-couple-arrested-lorry-deaths
    A couple from Clara, Co. Offaly, were arrested yesterday by British police investigating the deaths of 39 migrants in the back of a lorry.

Joanna and Thomas Maher were held on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people after police raided their current home in Warrington, Cheshire.

The Mahers, who are well-known around Clara, are thought to have left Ireland for the UK around five years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

bilzo wrote: »
    It's an uphill battle for Mo because in my opinion these things don't add up
    1. All the arrested are northern Irish (harsh correlation but I think its significant)
    2. They died of suffocation so fridge was probably turned off, begging the question why did he check the trailer if it would be "empty"
    3. Why did he stop 1 hour away to check the trailer
    4. He entered the UK from Dublin which would has been said to be an unorthodox route and that it would have taken a day longer, why? Without a trailer just seems really weird

I don't personally know how beneficial or detrimental the Last point is but I have read it in a broadsheet and they described it. As potentially avoiding some attention?

Just by way of correction,

1. All the arrested are northern Irish (harsh correlation but I think its significant)
    Incorrect. Two are from NI, the other two are living in UK, originally from Co. Offaly

2. They died of suffocation so fridge was probably turned off, begging the question why did he check the trailer if it would be "empty"
    Incorrect. Cause of death has not be established/ released

3. Why did he stop 1 hour away to check the trailer.
    Incorrect. Trailer was opened by at a location 10mins after it was collected from ferry.

4. He entered the UK from Dublin which would has been said to be an unorthodox route and that it would have taken a day longer, why? Without a trailer just seems really weird.
    Incorrect. Dublin- Holyhead ferry route 3.5 hours versus 8 hours from Belfast to Liverpool, with similar road distance to Essex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Seriously can people move on from what side of political/religious divide he's from - it makes no difference whatsoever except people jumping on it for their own pointscoring purposes.

If people-trafficking like this is as common as what we're led to believe, I've no doubt there's people on both sides doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

coastwatch wrote: »
    Incorrect. Trailer was opened by at a location 10mins after it was collected from ferry..

Would this not be even more damning?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bilzo

coastwatch wrote: »
    Just by way of correction,

Incorrect. Two are from NI, the other two are living in UK, originally from Co. Offaly

Incorrect. Cause of death has not be established/ released

Incorrect. Trailer was opened by at a location 10mins after it was collected from ferry.

4. He entered the UK from Dublin which would has been said to be an unorthodox route and that it would have taken a day longer, why? Without a trailer just seems really weird.
    Incorrect. Dublin- Holyhead ferry route 3.5 hours versus 8 hours from Belfast to Liverpool, with similar road distance to Essex.

1. Ok fair enough
    2. Not incorrect just look at the text sent home by one of the victims. Lets not be pedantic
    3. Obviously mixed stories going around, still creates more suspicion
    4. Just what i had read from a truck driver , also why would anyone send a truck to england without a trailer only to pick up a trailer for a few hours in england. Makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

The money laundering charge is significant in this for me. Points to mo robinson being aware what he was involved in imo.

Even 10 years for each offence means he would not get out until he's 415 years old.

Okay not literally true but is this how it works? Does 39 manslaughter convictions mean an effective 'life' sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

If they found money at his house that he can't account for and it's in the thousands he would be a bit more than a footsoldier

It's claimed on his IG account they did but it might be just hearsay.

No-one would do it for less than that. Getting caught trafficking even without any deaths would lead to a long prison sentence.

Okay not literally true but is this how it works? Does 39 manslaughter convictions mean an effective 'life' sentence?

No. They run concurrently. It would be extraordinary for then to be sequential. I think sequential sentences is more common in the USA.

If you google “grow house court Vietnamese” it’s scary how many news reports mention that those up in court are vulnerable or have told the Gardaí that they travelled to Ireland in containers.

Mules wrote: »
    No-one would do it for less than that. Getting caught trafficking even without any deaths would lead to a long prison sentence.

If they didn't find large sum of money at his house he is more stupid than he looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

You would think that. Look up dean hickey an Irish lad who was caught smuggling people into the uk this year. He got away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

I think I read the driver of the truck that had 50 odd bodies back 10+ years ago was sentenced to 17 years I'll see if I can get link

ETA: sorry it was 58 people and the driver was sentenced to 14 years for manslaughter (which is disgusting) I know it's only wikipedia but all main info seems to be there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Dover_incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think I read the driver of the truck that had 50 odd bodies back 10+ years ago was sentenced to 17 years I'll see if I can get link

Not directly aimed at poster but at all:

Fifty - odd dead people is a serioius amount of deaths in one incident.

Sad that the person responsible is a google look up now.

We really need to be harsher on all aspects of people trafficking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

anewme wrote: »
    Not directly aimed at poster but at all:

Fifty - odd dead people is a serioius amount of deaths in one incident.

Sad that the person responsible is a google look up now.

We really need to be harsher on all aspects of people trafficking.

The people at the top of the slavery/people trafficking are untouchable. The Bin Laden family have always been there and always have dealing with slaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

You would think that. Look up dean hickey an Irish lad who was caught smuggling people into the uk this year. He got away with it

That's pretty shocking. I never would have thought that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

That's pretty shocking. I never would have thought that.

I know absolutely madness

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think the murder charges were just a scare tactic, he’ll never be convicted of 39 murders, but if they found a large amount of cash he can’t say he didn’t know he was doing something wrong at the very least.

If he is deeply involved I wonder if he gave anything away initially before a solicitor told him to keep quiet, the 30 minutes before he called the police is a question mark, interesting to see if any other vehicles were seen coming and going at that hour on the cctv they had of the truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I think the murder charges were just a scare tactic, he’ll never be convicted of 39 murders

He definitely can't be convicted of something he hasn't been charged with.

the 30 minutes before he called the police is a question mark, interesting to see if any other vehicles were seen coming and going at that hour on the cctv they had of the truck.

I reckon had he contacted anyone, they'd have told him under no circumstances call the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I reckon had he contacted anyone, they'd have told him under no circumstances call the police.

He probably panicked when he realised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,927 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see on the Indo site that CAB were apparently investigating an Irish smuggling gang anyway, and it might have been this one or one with connections to them from how this story is written.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cabs-secret-probe-into-peopletrafficking-gang-38636567.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭riddles

The legal “gangsters” profession protects our revolving door court system at all costs. Tax payers pay to keep these miscreants on the streets. The legal system was developed with the assumptions most people adhere to the rules. If they fall outside it, it was in error. This model has attracted vermin from all corners of the globe like moths to a light.

Our social welfare and legal systems are a free for all the poor auld spalpin tax payers in the middle funding it.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    He probably panicked when he realised

And presumably knew they would catch up with him soon enough. I doubt he would have the first clue how to 'go into hiding'.

Advertisement