Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I think this has been said before Spanish Eyes but if you arrive on a tourist visa there's a paper trail so the police will come looking for you.

If you arrive illegally no paper trail, no-one looking for you.

Thanks for the explanation. Apologies if I missed it before now.

Regarding the Tourist Visa, i would not be so sure it is monitored much, even on exit. But I don’t know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Regarding the Tourist Visa, i would not be so sure it is monitored much, even on exit. But I don’t know either.

The Home Office would have it on record if they were still in the country. As far as I know it's all done electronically when passport is scanned etc.

I've seen TV programmes where, when Border Force raid premises and they suspect someone is an over-stayer etc, they also search their homes for passports. Calls to Home Office can confirm or not, whatever the case may be.

antix80 wrote: »
    Northern irish unionists. They're a class of their own. The brits consider them irish, we don't.

The brits consider them brits when it suits them for obtaining a election result. To the average brit their just a paddy regardless.

https://old.reddit.com/r/VietNam/comments/doempz/translated_vietnamese_road_to_the_united_kingdom/

Definitely worth a read. Someone translated a big account from a Vietnamese person familiar with these types of smuggling operations. Sounds awful, especially if going through Russia.

Snippets:

"From France to UK, you need to make a clear agreement with the 'line' that you will not go inside refrigerator container. We always told all our bros who travelled by this route from the beginning that do not go inside refrigerator container.

Even when you already at the campsite and they force you on a refrigerator container, jump out and tell them you are not going to take this trip anymore. Because going inside a refrigerator container is very dangerous. There are many people succeed with refrigerator container mainly because it's carrying fruit. A fruit container will keep the temperature just right, but if it's an frozen food container then you are dead.

When the 'line' itself open the container, they don't even know what this container carry, when they push people inside they just want to make it quick to close the door, if you do not realize what it is and jump out before they close the door then everything is over.

So 'grass jumper' or 'VIP transport', just avoid refrigerator container."

"In the past, there were already tragedies using refridgerated container to Germany or England, and people who cross the border knew that using refridgerated container was extremely dangerous. But why the case of 39 people still happen?

Because the British strictly control the border make it almost impossible to get through by canvas truck, the get-through rate is too low so the 'lines' resort to the old way of using refridgerated container. If it's certain death with refridgerated container, no one would dare to go, but it can get people into through! Because many trip through with refridgerated container then people would dare to pay and climb into the car. But who would have thought that this trip would go wrong. Everyone knw not every trip would go smoothly, it's just these 39 people did not think the unlucky number would fall on them."

It goes into the money aspect I mentioned yesterday. The family makes their money back within a few years and then they're in the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Home Office would have it on record if they were still in the country. As far as I know it's all done electronically when passport is scanned etc.

I've seen TV programmes where, when Border Force raid premises and they suspect someone is an over-stayer etc, they also search their homes for passports. Calls to Home Office can confirm or not, whatever the case may be.

Britain (along with countries like Ireland and the US) don't really do exit checks for their travel area in the same way other countries do.

I know in the past few years they have attempted to introduce elements of exit checks, but without going the whole hog. You could still likely overstay and exit the country without the Home Office being none the wiser handy enough.

I don't think I've ever come across a Home Office manned exit-immigration desk at a UK airport. Open to correction though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭shannonman81

I've been reading this thread and something has struck me.

What if he didn't panic.
    It seems this snuggling of people happens frequently.
    And refrigerated containers are used quite a bit.
    I know there was the incident with 58 bodies in Dover in 2000

But these can't be there only times it's gone wrong.
    So if he didn't panic and made a few phone calls could this have been covered up, has this been covered up between 2000 and 2019.

Probably not worth thinking about but with the lack of paper trail and the usage of refrigerated containers then there must have been more deaths in transit that we haven't heard about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

What if he didn't panic.

So if he didn't panic and made a few phone calls could this have been covered up, has this been covered up between 2000 and 2019.

Probably not worth thinking about but with the lack of paper trail and the usage of refrigerated containers then there must have been more deaths in transit that we haven't heard about.

Sounds like a Breaking Bad or Dexter episode, grim.

Not sure it's easy to hide or destroy this multitude of bodies though tbh, unless there was some kind of processing; even more grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

It seems the refrigeration was not switched on and the people suffocated to death. The driver (to Zeebrugge) was arrested in Dublin on Saturday and is expected to face an extradition hearing. I believe his name is known but as it is not stated in this article I am not going to put it here.

"Contrary to earlier reports that the victims froze to death, it is now believed the main cause of death was suffocation.

According to the Belgian public prosecutors office, the truck driver at Zeebrugge told port officials he was transporting biscuits and therefore the truck’s refrigeration unit did not need to be switched on."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/suspect-in-essex-lorry-deaths-case-said-he-was-transporting-biscuits-1.4065018

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭localscientist

What if he didn't panic.

I saw a very grim analysis of this on Reddit where people were discussing the thousands of containers that go overboard each year. You'd wonder if any of them contained people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unless you could muster up a digger and a large plot of land fairly sharpish you are not getting rid of 39 bodies with a few phone calls.

No UK based criminal would touch that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

1641 wrote: »
    It seems the refrigeration was not switched on and the people suffocated to death.

"Contrary to earlier reports that the victims froze to death, it is now believed the main cause of death was suffocation.

Some of the red-top gutter rags had it that some of the bodies were naked or wearing very little clothes. If this is true, then it's pointing to suffocation rather than freezing as being the cause of their deaths.

May they all Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I saw a very grim analysis of this on Reddit where people were discussing the thousands of containers that go overboard each year. You'd wonder if any of them contained people.

Container losses are generally actual containers, not unaccompanied trailers. Containers will be more difficult to access (but not impossible) - but would be less likely to be targeted for people smuggling as they tend to be sitting around dockyards where vessels will be departing to lots of varied destinations, so they've have difficulty identifying where the container is going to be shipped to.

The losses also tend to be much more common on longer haul, ocean voyages. You'd have very little instance of container losses on short-sea crossings such as Europe to UK or Ireland.

The whole thing is more and more resembling Series 2 of The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭localscientist

blackwhite wrote: »
    Container losses are generally actual containers, not unaccompanied trailers. Containers will be more difficult to access (but not impossible) - but would be less likely to be targeted for people smuggling as they tend to be sitting around dockyards where vessels will be departing to lots of varied destinations, so they've have difficulty identifying where the container is going to be shipped to.

The losses also tend to be much more common on longer haul, ocean voyages. You'd have very little instance of container losses on short-sea crossings such as Europe to UK or Ireland.

Hopefully this is the case, it doesn't bear thinking about. It's difficult to imagine the level of desperation you'd have to be at to find yourself climbing into a trailer or container or onto a tugboat just to escape your circumstances. Puts my charmed life into perspective for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

PostWoke wrote: »
    Sounds like a Breaking Bad or Dexter episode, grim.

Not sure it's easy to hide or destroy this multitude of bodies though tbh, unless there was some kind of processing; even more grim.

Or closer to home, wasn't there a big body disposal storyline in Love/Hate? IIRC they were talking about burying it alongside a cow to fool heat seeking cameras or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Or closer to home, wasn't there a big body disposal storyline in Love/Hate? IIRC they were talking about burying it alongside a cow to fool heat seeking cameras or something.

Yeah the IRA guy they killed, Fran was saying he should have laid a cow carcass on top of him to fool the infra red detectors ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

In general you can't bury dead cattle legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

:( ... jesus , we think we have issues in life ... feckin hell that is grim....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Some of the red-top gutter rags had it that some of the bodies were naked or wearing very little clothes. If this is true, then it's pointing to suffocation rather than freezing as being the cause of their deaths.

That's actually a common enough feature of lethal hypothermia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia#Paradoxical_undressing

Given the scale and sophistication of the people trafficking "business" I would be surprised if they didn't have some sort of inside line at Zeebrugge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

In general you can't bury dead cattle legally.

True but if you are looking for a body you are not going to lose valuable time digging up a cow carcass that you detected with state of the art technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

True but if you are looking for a body you are not going to lose valuable time digging up a cow carcass that you detected with state of the art technology.

Heat seeking cameras mentioned up thread would have to be extremely state-of-the-art to detect a buried dead cow.

Extremely.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Heat seeking cameras mentioned up thread would have to be extremely state-of-the-art to detect a buried dead cow.

Extremely.

And they would have to know a general area of where to look and have an alarm that 39 people are missing as a group to work with to begin with.

Presumably all that would happen here is that individual families would raise an alarm, eventually somebody would listen and by that time the trail would be well cold.

Makes me think from his reaction, that the driver wasn't fully immersed in this operation. A quick buck without thinking of what could go wrong maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could she not have married into the UK? Seems an easy option to arrange a marriage for 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Could she not have married into the UK? Seems an easy option to arrange a marriage for 30k

Only 8 of the 39 were female

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually men are usually on the "receiving" side of convenience marriages - non EU men marrying Eastern EU women is the usual.
    But that is even more difficult to arrange than a simple smuggling into the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Proper banged up abroad type of story this, even looking at the guys Facebook page, he initially couldn't go to a McDonald's without sharing his location on his page

Next of all within the last year all this stopped, his last post shows his new Rigg, it even has a comment from a fellow driver that they had just dispatched the trailer that was on the back of the truck on its way into the country which happened to be a freezer, in fact most of his recent posts show only freezer units at the back of his truck

Alot has been said on here about his background, but in fairness he had plenty of friends from across the border, it would make you wonder just how widespread this is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-50221753

Two brothers from Armagh are being seeked. Part of the now defunct C Hughes Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭dk1982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Two brothers from Armagh are being seeked.

Hopefully they will be seeked until they are finded...

Advertisement