Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This type of operation has probably received a lot less attention than illegal cigarette and drug importations has.

I wonder about the Irish connection. But who knows. I am sure it is widespread and it really is impossible to monitor every truck. The smugglers (of either people or contraband) know this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gerry Hannon

Hopefully they will be seeked until they are finded...

I believe its "...they will be suk until found.."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hopefully they will be seeked until they are finded...

Great contribution:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I believe its "...they will be suk until found.."

Did you register just for this comment:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

everyone has had a first post on this site, some, I'm sure, have had many first posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

This type of operation has probably received a lot less attention than illegal cigarette and drug importations has.

I wonder about the Irish connection. But who knows. I am sure it is widespread and it really is impossible to monitor every truck. The smugglers (of either people or contraband) know this too.

They both actually live in Monaghan and are married with kids. One of them's wife was my hairdresser for years. Am sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Agree with Prime Time, it was a very odd move by Essex police to issue this statement on the Hughes brothers. They haven't furnished an EU arrest warrant so Gardai can do nothing. You can't issue a warrant without a credible case against somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Proper banged up abroad type of story this, even looking at the guys Facebook page, he initially couldn't go to a McDonald's without sharing his location on his page

Next of all within the last year all this stopped, his last post shows his new Rigg, it even has a comment from a fellow driver that they had just dispatched the trailer that was on the back of the truck on its way into the country which happened to be a freezer, in fact most of his recent posts show only freezer units at the back of his truck

Alot has been said on here about his background, but in fairness he had plenty of friends from across the border, it would make you wonder just how widespread this is

At this point and time some 2171 pr$/"@s are still "friends" with this fella on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

soundman45 wrote: »
    At this point and time some 2171 pr$/"@s are still "friends" with this fella on facebook

aw here, you get the pitchforks, i'll get the torches...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Great contribution:rolleyes:

25 Thanks and counting:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

25 Thanks and counting:cool:

This is pretty sad....25 internet thanks is nothing to be proud of.
    Sunglasses cool emoji....ugh.
    39 poor fcukers dead and internet popularity is what your going to hang your hat on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

soundman45 wrote: »

If you ever needed proof that keeping your Facebook page a private affair between yourself and most trusted friends and family should be your default position** just look at Mo Robinson's predicament.

A friend whatsapped me yesterday with a few screen shots where Mo had been checking in at purfleet as far back as 2016 on Facebook, one wonders how much evidence the UK cops have on him and others now, and his far back that evidence goes.

**Although the transportation or smuggling of illegal immigrants isn't the most clever thing you could be at either in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

If you ever needed proof that keeping your Facebook page a private affair between yourself and most trusted friends and family, just look at Mo Robinson's predicament.

A friend whatsapped me yesterday with a few screen shots where Mo had been checking in at purfleet as far back as 2016 on Facebook, one wonders how much evidence the UK cops have on him and others now, and his far back that evidence goes.

He could have been there for genuine reasons a number of times and was brought into the operation because of this, someone who had been there before and could have possibly been checked would arouse less suspicion than someone rocking up for the first time.
    I'm not trying to defend or back him up though initially I was leaning in his favour but as time and more information has come to light I have changed my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

He could have been there for genuine reasons a number of times and was brought into the operation because of this, someone who had been there before and could have possibly been checked would arouse less suspicion than someone rocking up for the first time.
    I'm not trying to defend or back him up though initially I was leaning in his favour but as time and more information has come to light I have changed my view.

Absolutely, no argument from me on that, that's why I said I wonder what evidence they have and how far back it goes.

There does seem to be an awful lot of people arrested, and people wanted to be spoken to following his arrest (Mo Robinson), so I again wonder what evidence the cops garnered from him.

He's either sang like a Canary, or (and this is my theory) they got some unarguable electronic correspondence between devices, such as WhatsApp, Facebook messenger or even just old fashioned call and text logs.

First thing I read about the young lad being arrested coming off the France to Ireland Ferry was that he had disposed of his phone before arriving back.

That's not going to do him much favours if they have his undeniable correspondence on another device imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is it just me or is there not really much coverage of this given the horror of it all? Is it just because they're foreigners and no one cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Is it just me or is there not really much coverage of this given the horror of it all? Is it just because they're foreigners and no one cares?

Yep it will disappear from the News shortly until there are more arrests/court appearances. I wouldn't say that no one cares it's just one of those things that everyone is shocked and talking about it for first few days and then forget about it because it doesn't affect them.

There hasn't been many developments in the past couple of days and the UK general election has taken over the headlines. Unfortunately this will be blamed on paddy and forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭volchitsa

celt262 wrote: »
    Yep it will disappear from the News shortly until there are more arrests/court appearances. I wouldn't say that no one cares it's just one of those things that everyone is shocked and talking about it for first few days and then forget about it because it doesn't affect them.

I think that's unfair TBH. When there is little or no new information coming out that leaves only speculation, and with a court case coming up, it seems wise for media not to incite public speculation that could well lead to legal problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If they were white British, there’d be a minute silence. I think what gets lost here is the reason these people are so desperate to leave their countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

What are you on about? Ireland's media is obsessed about how we're all nazis who are mean to the foreigns. It's the type of foreign that kills their interest. From what we can tell these were just Chinese lads looking to work illegally. That's no bueno to be putting out on the news cycle, because it's not supposed to exist, we're supposed to all be nazis. If they were people fleeing a warzone it would be a 24/7 cycle to show us nazis how awful we are, and that there should be a DP centre on every corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If they were white British, there’d be a minute silence. I think what gets lost here is the reason these people are so desperate to leave their countries.

Why are these people so desperate to leave their countries? They are not poor people, plenty of people in Britain would have trouble getting together the money they spent on trafficking. It it seems more of a lifestyle choice than anything. Like the truck driver, they are willing to break the law to facilitate a better lifestyle, except they are regarded as deserving for doing so while he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

PostWoke wrote: »
    What are you on about? Ireland's media is obsessed about how we're all nazis who are mean to the foreigns. It's the type of foreign that kills their interest. From what we can tell these were just Chinese lads looking to work illegally. That's no bueno to be putting out on the news cycle, because it's not supposed to exist, we're supposed to all be nazis. If they were people fleeing a warzone it would be a 24/7 cycle to show us nazis how awful we are, and that there should be a DP centre on every corner.

You ok there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

PostWoke wrote: »

Wow, that's quite the rant....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Coverage has probably waned because they paid to be smuggled and were not trafficked against their will.

Either way, it's a horrible story for the victims and their families.

If they were white british they'd be laughing about it in the street here.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Wow, that's quite the rant....

Keep dismissing the truth as 'rants'; that's why journos are being kicked out of these public meetings...

In fact several of our representatives already tokenized these people's death for their DP narrative the very next day after the discovery so don't @ me hun.

it was plastered on the front of every news outlet in the UK and Ireland, was it not?

How long is coverage supposed to go on for? after a while, it stops becoming news so the media concentrates on other things. When there are new developments, then it becomes news again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I worked out the C Hughes Transport link on day one. Took them a while

Hearing rumours that the boys are on the run...in their own houses coz no international arrest warrant issued.

Also hear that Ronan called the cops to protest Mo's innocence on the day he was arrested.

I am hoping my towns people make sure these people and their families never have a minute peace for the rest of their lives. I hope the kids are raised far away from such despicable murdering scum.

Witchie wrote: »
    despicable murdering manslaughtering scum.

Fixed.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but in my mind they are murderers.

Advertisement