Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Just seen on sky police have made a direct appeal for the Hughes brothers to hand themselves in.
    theres pictures of trucks with Hughes printed on them being stopped and searched. They must have some very good evidence against them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Just seen on sky police have made a direct appeal for the Hughes brothers to hand themselves in.
    theres pictures of trucks with Hughes printed on them being stopped and searched. They must have some very good evidence against them

Yet no warrant for the arrest ?

Second man from northern Ireland charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and the same charges as Mr Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If they had very good evidence they would simply issue a European arrest warrant. They haven't.

My local paper here in Monaghan are claiming they have spoken on the phone to one of them.

If they had very good evidence they would simply issue a European arrest warrant. They haven't.

My local paper here in Monaghan are claiming they have spoken on the phone to one of them.

One of them rang police not long after Robinson was arrested asking questions about what the police knew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

A European arrest warrant would be needed by the UK police if seeking to extradite someone from Ireland. As I understand it, such a warrant can only be issued if they can show sufficient evidence to charge a person with a crime.

If a suspect was in the UK jurisdiction there may be a warrant to arrest for questioning on suspicion of a crime - a much lower hurdle, and the one Mo Robinson was originally arrested on. That is not to say whether or not there is any crime involved.

Anyway, hopefully they will be just glad to assist with enquiries - as most decent, innocent people would do in the circumstances. It would certainly be interesting to know how one of their names was on the lease for the container, as reported, and if they might have any knowledge of the movements of the trailer after it was leased.

Second man from northern Ireland charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and the same charges as Mr Robinson

"A 23-year-old man been arrested in connection with the deaths of 39 people in a lorry trailer in Essex.

Eamon Harrison appeared in court in Dublin after being detained on a European Arrest Warrant."

Two held and others summoned in Vietnam as well in connection

"A 23-year-old man been arrested in connection with the deaths of 39 people in a lorry trailer in Essex.

Eamon Harrison appeared in court in Dublin after being detained on a European Arrest Warrant."

Two held and others summoned in Vietnam as well in connection

I see two were arrested in Vietnam too. Net is closing and somebody is singing IMO.

I see two were arrested in Vietnam too. Net is closing and somebody is singing IMO.

Yep definitely someone is talking and I dont think it will go down well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

are they checking the trailers...?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Like a bird.

Crazy young people getting caught up in this. Bet they thought they were smarter than everyone else trafficking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

They have issued an appeal for them to present themselves to the PSNI.
    Why would a European Arrest Warrant be needed if as seems to be the belief of the UK Police, they are in a UK jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

banie01 wrote: »
    They have issued an appeal for them to present themselves to the PSNI.
    Why would a European Arrest Warrant be needed if as seems to be the belief of the UK Police, they are in a UK jurisdiction?

No - reportedly in Monaghan.

I think the "request" is that they cross the border and talk to the PSNI. Obviously not sufficient evidence for a Europen arrest warrant. However, if in NI a warrant for questioning would be easier to obtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

downcow wrote: »
    Deflect all you like. HYou wont prevent the truth comming out in due course.
    What wiskful thinking 'dup supporter'

I haven’t followed this thread for a while. But I got slated for challenging people who were linking the dup. And it wasn’t just on here The papers had the lad driving the lorry holding an Ulster flag.
    But as I suggested the truth is starting to come out. The lorry driver had been raised in a unionist house but he is a 25 year old tiny cog in a very big wheel.
    The republican links are starting to appear!

I haven’t followed this thread for a while. But I got slated for challenging people who were linking the dup. And it wasn’t just on here The papers had the lad driving the lorry holding an Ulster flag.
    But as I suggested the truth is starting to come out. The lorry driver had been raised in a unionist house but he is a 25 year old tiny cog in a very big wheel.

39 counts of manslaughter? Yeh - tiny cog alright. He can comfort himself in prison with that nugget if he is found guilty. Downcow thinks I'm a tiny cog.

To be delighted and gloating that it isn't one of 'your wans' in this scenario is nauseating.

Anyone involved in this deserves the full weight of the law...tiny, medium or large cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

As far as I know they can only issue one when an individual is charged with something, not solely on the basis of having some evidence.

The detective who appealed on the news said they wanted to speak to the brothers in order 'to progress the investigation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Yep definitely someone is talking and I dont think it will go down well

Not necessarily at this end though. As well as revealing they believe all those who died are Veitnamese, the police have stated they've been in close contact with the Vietnamese Government and some of the families involved. Some of those interview on TV before said they'd not have allowed their relatives to go had they known of the dangers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Hypothetically speaking...if someone was to bundle these pieces of sh*t into a refrigerated truck and drop them at a psni station, do you think they would get arrested or die from fear of suffocation like their victims did?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

You deserve to get slated, and especially aft this post too where you try to turn it into a unionist v Republican thing

I highly doubt anyone in this is a tiny cog regardless of what background he comes from or they come from,

You would almost feel sorry for the guy for getting caught with the way your talking about him

You deserve to get slated, and especially aft this post too where you try to turn it into a unionist v Republican thing

I highly doubt anyone in this is a tiny cog regardless of what background he comes from or they come from,

You would almost feel sorry for the guy for getting caught with the way your talking about him

Nonsense. Look back at the glee from many on here After they had scoured his Facebook page and found evidence that he was from a unionist background, indeed they went as far as to say he was a dup supporter. I simply challenged that nonsense and said that I would be surprised if terrorist orgs were not mixed up in it and that I would be even more surprised if it was loyalist gangs.
    People slated me for suggesting the same shady republican paramilitaries that were mixed up in other stuff in the border counties would be connected.
    Well it’s starting to come out and I am simply pointing this out to those who linked the dup and said I was talking nonsense
    Whoever gets convicted needs to feel the full weight of the penal system and that includes the lorry driver if found guilty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Nonsense. Look back at the glee from many on here After they had scoured his Facebook page and found evidence that he was from a unionist background, indeed they went as far as to say he was a dup supporter. I simply challenged that nonsense and said that I would be surprised if terrorist orgs were not mixed up in it and that I would be even more surprised if it was loyalist gangs.
    People slated me for suggesting the same shady republican paramilitaries that were mixed up in other stuff in the border counties would be connected.
    Well it’s starting to come out and I am simply pointing this out to those who linked the dup and said I was talking nonsense
    Whoever gets convicted needs to feel the full weight of the penal system and that includes the lorry driver if found guilty

Have I missed something where are the links to shady Republican paramilitaries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I just seen a pic of him burning a tri colour so I’d hold off blowing your load just yet.

Downcow, he IS a loyalist supporter, the evidence is there in the pictures released of him. Get over it.

His 'loyalism' has as much to do with this as the football team he supports has.
    If he is guilty he is a criminal involved in the deaths of 39 people for profit.

Stop playing football with it yourself maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭volchitsa

celt262 wrote: »
    Have I missed something where are the links to shady Republican paramilitaries?

Down cow is using the same equivalences that led loyalist paramilitaries to murder completely random Catholics during the troubles. Irish-sounding name=Republican paramilitary or active supporter.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Down cow is using the same equivalences that led loyalist paramilitaries to murder completely random Catholics during the troubles. Irish-sounding name=Republican paramilitary or active supporter.

Completely off topic. You can travel through and see the glee of many on here when they thought they had found a loyalist link to this tragedy. I am simply saying when it all comes out in the wash the opposite is the likeliest outcome. Of course opposite is the wrong term to use as the uvf lvf uda ira new ira whatever are all cut from the same cloth.

I am simply advising caution to those that run off on ‘those loyalist scumbags are at it again’ may end up with egg on their faces.
    And you’ll find that this thread had many references to his unionist background before his links to republicans were ever mentioned.

Now back on topic to the horrendous personal tragedy

Completely off topic. You can travel through and see the glee of many on here when they thought they had found a loyalist link to this tragedy. I am simply saying when it all comes out in the wash the opposite is the likeliest outcome. Of course opposite is the wrong term to use as the uvf lvf uda ira new ira whatever are all cut from the same cloth.

I am simply advising caution to those that run off on ‘those loyalist scumbags are at it again’ may end up with egg on their faces.
    And you’ll find that this thread had many references to his unionist background before his links to republicans were ever mentioned.

'They are all cut from the same cloth, but my crowd were not involved in it on their own'?

That is what you are saying. Transparent and disgusting use of victims again downcow.

Just because some others do it, doesn't mean you HAVE to engage in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What's off topic was your speculation, based purely on them having Catholic names or residence in RoI, that the others named so far are "shady republican paramilitaries.

If you don't like people calling you out on it, it's simple: stop conflating someone being catholic/Irish with being a republican paramilitary.

When those other suspects are seen burning Union jacks or wrapping themselves in Republican paramilitary insignia then your attempt at an equivalence will be fair. So far, that's not the case, so yes, your logic is exactly that of the UFF and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I think he once regarded Dublin port as taliban central if you want to go down that route, however I couldn't care less about his background, the problem I have here is you are almost making him out to be a victim in all this

Innocent until proving guilty yes, but he knew dam well what he was doing and is more then just some young 25 year old small cog in a wheel of republican human trafficking,

Innocent until proving guilty yes, but he knew dam well what he was doing and is more then just some young 25 year old small cog in a wheel of republican human trafficking,

i am absolutely not defending him or belittling what he done. If found guilty then he is a disgusting human being who clearly knew exactly what he was doing. That can all be true and he can still be a small cog in a much bigger wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Witchie wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking...if someone was to bundle these pieces of sh*t into a refrigerated truck and drop them at a psni station, do you think they would get arrested or die from fear of suffocation like their victims did?

They died from fear of suffocation??

Advertisement