Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,542 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's horrible to see people die like that but you are putting your life in someone else's hands when you decide to travel long distance in a cargo container.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

IRE60 wrote: »
    Company mentioned earlier on this thread - similar one in from Lisburn (reg office anyway) and has a female director. No direction as to its business activity

Not sure if they are linked in any sort of way other than possibly just hired trailer out to the haulage company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's horrible to see people die like that but you are putting your life in someone else's hands when you decide to travel long distance in a cargo container.

Has it been confirmed that they were immigrants trying to enter the country illegally? If not then it's just as likely they could have been trafficked into the country for sex work or slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

And now!!!! Sky News: Holyhead/Dublin off the hook. Truck came into Kent direct from Zebrugger on Saturday not via Ath Cliath!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

quartz1 wrote: »
    It came from Zeebrugge Belgium not Ireland

Yeah I heard there was mention of Holyhead it seems a strange way to come from the continent.

Sky news are saying it's owned by an Irish women based in Bulgaria. And as you say it left the European continent from zeebrugge.

And regardless of however it got to where it ended up, I can't even begin to imagine those poor people's last moments. Utterly horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

quartz1 wrote: »
    It came from Zeebrugge Belgium not Ireland

Zebrugge to Holyhead seems an odd route.
    The odder the route the more I have suspicions that the owner or driver of the truck knew there were people in the container.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

IRE60 wrote: »
    And now!!!! Sky News: Holyhead/Dublin off the hook. Truck came into Kent direct from Zebrugger on Saturday not via Ath Cliath!

Makes much more sense.

How hard is it to these facts straight before reporting? This entire thread seems predicted on falsehoods

Has it been confirmed that they were immigrants trying to enter the country illegally? If not then it's just as likely they could have been trafficked into the country for sex work or slave labour.

No. There seems to be a changing story on how exactly it got to the UK. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Police have told Reuters they believe the lorry originated in Ireland, but travelled into Purfleet from Zeebrugge - and then docked in the Thurrock area shortly after 12.30am this morning.

Aegir wrote: »
    SO ****ING WHAT.

Reports that the driver is a member of an organisation such as the UVF could be very relevant to the story. It's not like just saying he is a protestant.

• Advertisement

Well then, (and thanks for your reply), how much surveillance is carried out on the length of time foreign reg trucks are either here or up North. Just wondering, not demanding an answer from you!

Sounds all dodge to me WRT to a lot of things, Customs, immigration, checking ro ro freight and so on. But I suppose Trade has to keep moving quickly.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this is just a way for a company to get around paying Irish VRT and road tax. I guess Bulgaria is the cheapest country in which to register. The Driver being a non resident would help as well I guess.

but then, the entire Irish Ferries fleet is actually Cypriot......

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

In the photos, the truck seems to be preparing to reverse into the loading bay of a GSF Car parts warehouse. GSF are very well established and their staff were all sent away today, I read.
    Very unlikely that if the driver did know who was in the back, he’d be delivering them to GSF.
    He has to be a patsy.

Sky news saying arresting him on suspicion of murder is standard in these cases, seems a bit overkill

If anyone is found with 39 bodies they have to be arrested otherwise they can just walk away and answer no questions. Nothing overkill about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Zebrugge to Holyhead seems an odd route.
    The odder the route the more I have suspicions that the owner or driver of the truck knew there were people in the container.

No, the trailer went from Zeebrugge-Purfleet. on Tues night

The truck travelled Dublin-Holyhead on Saturday

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/1023/1085091-essex/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There are two serious aspects of this case:

1. The fact that 39 people are dead in the back of a lorry.

2. The fact that Essex Police has said that the driver was from Northern Ireland when in fact he was from County Monaghan. This is a British police force suggesting a territorial claim over a part of another country and it is a monumental disgrace.

Some people from both communities in the North are secretly sorry that the war is over.
    They will find outrage in the most innocuous mistake in a report in an effort to find fault in the “other side”.
    Here you have an example of a mad Nationalistic type who faced with 40 odd dead bodies in a lorry immediately escalates the outrage past the totally needless loss of life to the far far more important more tragic more outrageous fact that someone somewhere in the initial reporting counted Monaghan as one of the Six Counties.
    Forget the grief of the families. Forget the greed of the people smugglers.
    HOW DARE THE BRITS TRY TO TAKE ANOTHER COUNTY!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Where the heck did the Holyhead angle come from so? I do realise that reporting would have been patchy on first reports. But honestly...

Still need to hear the real story. Not much coming out really.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

splinter65 wrote: »
    Some people from both communities in the North are secretly sorry that the war is over.
    They will find outrage in the most innocuous mistake in a report in an effort to find fault in the “other side”.
    Here you have an example of a mad Nationalistic type who faced with 40 odd dead bodies in a lorry immediately escalates the outrage past the totally needless loss of life to the far far more important more tragic more outrageous fact that someone somewhere in the initial reporting counted Monaghan as one of the Six Counties.

According to the Belfast Telegraph, the driver is in fact from Portadown. Hopefully this can now bring comfort and solace to traumatised Republicans at this difficult time in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

pmcc1 wrote: »
    In the photos, the truck seems to be preparing to reverse into the loading bay of a GSF Car parts warehouse. GSF are very well established and their staff were all sent away today, I read.
    Very unlikely that if the driver did know who was in the back, he’d be delivering them to GSF.
    He has to be a patsy.

I find it impossible to believe that in this day and age he got into the cab and started the engine without checking his load.

Where the heck did the Holyhead angle come from so? I do realise that reporting would have been patchy on first reports. But honestly...

The truck arriving into Holyhead probably showed up on a police database somewhere as the last registered entry to the country and was given to a journalist.

The subsequent departure and re-entry either wasn't recorded or wasn't up to date or wasn't on the same database.

Truck travelled on saturday Dublin-Holyhead
    Trailer was dropped in Purfleet (near where the trcuk+trailer was found this morning) via Zeebrugge

Normal scheme of things, truck would be dropping a load then whatever other jobs in between finally collecting this trailer from Purfleet.
    I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As I keep saying, you can decommission guns but you cannot decommission mindsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

So is it likely that the driver would have known what he was hauling?

Poor form IMO for sky news to be naming the driver and showing his picture on sky. I mean it's still likely that he only found out what was going on when he got to where the truck is now(I mean someone alerted the ambulance service) and is not connected to how those 39 people got into that trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Sky news saying ‘it suggests’ it was the driver that called the police.
    I doubt he knew they were in the back.
    Drivers in our place aren’t allowed to open the back until we see them break the seal and check the numbers match our paper work. If he didn’t know God love him and the guys ready to take the delivery:(
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I find it impossible to believe that in this day and age he got into the cab and started the engine without checking his load.

Apparently, according to some other haulage drivers commenting elsewhere, this cannot always be done. It breaks the seal on the container. Pinch of salt, I know, but I can well believe it's not as simple as just hopping down from the cab and having a quick nosy around the container like it's nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,542 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

splinter65 wrote:
    You do know that often times the container has a security lock on it before the driver collects it?

Loads are normally sealed.
    He'd just check paperwork in cab and seal number vs paperwork
    He didn't bring this trailer from Dublin via Holyhead
    And somehow i doubt he was meant to open the doors at all at wherever the destination was, just drop somewher probably middle of nowhere/off beaten track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Paul Lee

alastair wrote: »
    Being a racist gets you called out for your racism. These people were not entitled to social welfare in the U.K., so ‘stopping social welfare’ will have zero impact on the situation.

My apologies for wanting to stop Africans dying. If you call me racist then I must be racist. I'm just too thick to figure out how wanting to stop people dying is racist. Please relieve me of my ignorance. And also please explain how you're not racist because I'm also confused there too.

*My definition of racist: Someone who hates people of race/ races other than their own. Since that's not my issue, and because I'm racist (as you say) I obviously have the wrong definition. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, people are dying so let's sort this out quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I can confirm our drivers cannot open the lorry
    There’s a seal on it an the numbers have to match on delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Aegir wrote: »
    why do some small minded individuals have to infect some threads?

Because they want to remind us the consequences of a yes vote in a unity referendum.

Advertisement