Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lackey wrote: »
    Sky news saying ‘it suggests’ it was the driver that called the police.
    I doubt he knew they were in the back.
    Drivers in our place aren’t allowed to open the back until we see them break the seal and check the numbers match our paper work. If he didn’t know God love him and the guys ready to take the delivery:(
    RIP

But why would he then open the container on the side of the road?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Poor form IMO for sky news to be naming the driver and showing his picture on sky. I mean it's still likely that he only found out what was going on when he got to where the truck is now(I mean someone alerted the ambulance service) and is not connected to how those 39 people got into that trailer.

That is a possibility. He may be totally innocent.

It's also a possibility that he knew they were there, knew they were dead and was 'caught in the act of disposing of them'.

No one knows yet really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Frank Sobotka is going to hit the roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Wonder what the price was for each life lost I mean in monatery terms what did these people pay?
    There’s WhatsApp’s going round saying £2500 per head. Albanian mafia responsible apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Whatsapp picture going around of him (and it's him) standing behind an Ulster flag with the words 'Mid-Ulster UVF' on it.

Wonder what's the story with the Ireland crest on his lorry :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That is a possibility. He may be totally innocent.

It's also a possibility that he knew they were there, knew they were dead and was 'caught in the act of disposing of them'.

No one knows yet really.

And shouldnt sky news bloody wait until the police are able to determine which one of the scenarios above you outlined is actually true before naming him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

According to the Belfast Telegraph, the driver is in fact from Portadown. Hopefully this can now bring comfort and solace to traumatised Republicans at this difficult time in their lives.
    With all due respect, this lad comes from down the road from me. So people like me have a passing interest in what circles he may or may not associate in. Nothing really to do with point scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Lorry is registered in Bulgaria to an Irish firm. Not owned by the bloke who was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

armaghlad wrote: »
    With all due respect, this lad comes from down the road from me. So people like me have a passing interest in what circles he may or may not associate in. Nothing really to do with point scoring.

I wasn't referring to you, but someone else who as good as accused Essex Police of "claiming" Co. Monaghan. That was the origin of the mildly nauseating point scoring. I haven't seen your comments so really con't respond to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Noveight wrote: »
    Lorry is registered in Bulgaria to an Irish firm. Not owned by the bloke who was driving.

Apparently the truck operates here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Gatling wrote: »
    Apparently the truck operates here

Partly. Belgian plates on it.

It's an Irish lorry, isn't it? Of far more concern (for most people, anyway), is the 39 corpses in the back, rather than any crests or emblems on the front.

Regardless, it's quite probable that the driver had no idea those bodies were there. I'm shocked that he's been arrested on suspicion of murder since there's no evidence that he himself was actively involved in people smuggling.

It's not even the same driver driving the trucks across the continent, is it? They change over at different ports? I'm really not sure so I hope someone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭GBX

And shouldnt sky news bloody wait until the police are able to determine which one of the scenarios above you outlined is actually true before naming him ?

Sky News and the other tabloids will write anything to get viewers/readers and adjust their stories to suit their agenda as more info filters through. Rightly or wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

But why would he then open the container on the side of the road?

If it’s true he was delivering to gfs I can’t see a loading bay on google maps street view.
    It’s located semi detached in a square of businesses with a little customer parking

I’m open to correction of course but looking at where he parked on google maps it makes sense as to why he’s parked there.

https://goo.gl/maps/4YiaWu3S9AZfSThs8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

He's been arrested = can be named.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Parked up to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Horrible thing to happen, looks like a refrigerated trailer, I wonder if they froze to death or if it was from lack of Oxygen. If it was a canvas sided trailer they'd have been okay most likely, although lack of water would kill them over 4 days also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Paul Lee wrote: »
    My apologies for wanting to stop Africans dying. If you call me racist then I must be racist. I'm just too thick to figure out how wanting to stop people dying is racist. Please relieve me of my ignorance. And also please explain how you're not racist because I'm also confused there too.

*My definition of racist: Someone who hates people of race/ races other than their own. Since that's not my issue, and because I'm racist (as you say) I obviously have the wrong definition. Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Meanwhile, people are dying so let's sort this out quickly.

Did someone call you racist? Otherwise, get down off your scaffold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

It's an Irish lorry, isn't it? Of far more concern (for most people, anyway), is the 39 corpses in the back, rather than any crests or emblems on the front.

Regardless, it's quite probable that the driver had no idea those bodies were there. I'm shocked that he's been arrested on suspicion of murder since there's no evidence that he himself was actively involved in people smuggling.

It's not even the same driver driving the trucks across the continent, is it? They change over at different ports? I'm really not sure so I hope someone else is.

Agree, have no concern/care for the origin of the driver / tractor unit. I took the bait by yer man and made my reply. Bit ashamed tbh.

I'm sickened by this incident, RIP to the 39 souls. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Loads are normally sealed.
    He'd just check paperwork in cab and seal number vs paperwork
    He didn't bring this trailer from Dublin via Holyhead
    And somehow i doubt he was meant to open the doors at all at wherever the destination was, just drop somewher probably middle of nowhere/off beaten track

So they can’t check what’s in the back but if it’s a load of contraband the driver gets arrested? That doesn’t seem very fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

MadYaker wrote: »
    So they can’t check what’s in the back but if it’s a load of contraband the driver gets arrested? That doesn’t seem very fair

The same as if a postman delivers a parcel of heroin, he will have no knowledge of the contents.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

Gerrydubar wrote: »
    This is a terrible tragedy.

The driver was allegedly a member of the Portadown UVF, the UVF have been known to be heavily involved in smuggling in the past, particularly women.

Could they have had something to do with it?

Congratulations on your first post.

Welcome to Boards.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Pasamos

Those protestants up to no good as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Very possible driver simply picked up sealed trailer at port and is completely innocent

Equally possible 39 people hid themselves in the truck at night and yet again the driver knew nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

There's quite a few first time posters and really low count posters appearing in this thread banging on about the UVF and other bullsh1t and exclusively on any thread related to migrants...

I hope boards.ie is on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Equally possible 39 people hid themselves in the truck at night and yet again the driver knew nothing

Would he not have noticed the seal broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Check out reports from calais, sneaking in while at traffic (although not 39 people) , cutting and repairing curtainsides, or somebody putting them in and resealing after, those tags arent hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

39 people managed to break into a sealed refrigerated unit and then, from inside, managed to repair the seals so they looked untampered?

They stow away on the lorries either during or shortly after loading, don't they? It would be prior to sealing the container, at any rate.

• Advertisement

It's pretty unlikely these 39 people just hopped on when the truck was stopped somewhere. That does happen, but not 39 people. This was an organised people smuggling operation. Probably not the first.

Advertisement