Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another recession?

Options
  • 23-10-2019 10:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

Are we due another recession? The last one and I don't think we fully recovered. Big cities are ok but certainly in small towns and villages and they haven't recovered.

The last one, there were so much job losses. There was something every day. 500 jobs yesterday and 320 job losses reported in the news. Is this the start of another recession?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are we due another recession? The last one and I don't think we fully recovered. Big cities are ok but certainly in small towns and villages and they haven't recovered.

The last one, there were so much job losses. There was something every day. 500 jobs yesterday and 320 job losses reported in the news. Is this the start of another recession?

The next one will be a lot worse that the first one. Hopefully coming soon and will reset Treasure Ireland. We are being fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The next one will be a lot worse that the first one.
    What are you basing this on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

800 jobs gone this morning in Shannon and cork. !

I'm inclined to agree on recession. We've seen nothing yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

The EU in now in a very serious 3rd quarter downturn in a row. Being basically hidden from the news here.

The USA is booming with record economic and job creation growth off the scale.

But let's make make fun of 'Dumpft' and sing eternal sonnets of unconditional devotion in the direction of the EU Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

Do you know all that vaping stuff that's going on in America. Like, ban the ecigs, ban the flavours, think of the children, dangerous drugs, etc....... there's some states in America that's not able to manage without the revenue from cigarettes. Remember the 08 recession? Some states have a 10 year bond to pay back and they are struggling. This is where the vaping comes in. The sale of cigarettes have dropped in recent years and kept dropping. There's something definitely brewing over there in America.

Then we have brexit on the other side of us.

• Advertisement

MrAbyss wrote: »
    But let's make make fun of 'Dumpft' and sing eternal sonnets of unconditional devotion in the direction of the EU Commission.

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

We now live in an artificial economy propped up by central banks.

Ireland benefits more than most European countries from its close economic ties to the US — but even their own artificially engineered economy is showing signs of cracks.

Nobody likes to see a recession, but we do need a return to normal. Things like interest rates, sane stock and bond markets, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Sky King wrote: »
    What are you basing this on?

Tea leaf readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Don't worry. Greta and the gang will save us all with their organic cow****s recipes

I do not have a crystal ball, but something tells me we will be watching morons who went out and bought big houses they didn't need with a 2 car/3 hour commute all being shown a mirror reflection of their own stupidity.

Every 20 years it is the same.

• Advertisement

Nobody likes to see a recession, but we do need a return to normal. Things like interest rates, sane stock and bond markets, etc.

We joined the EU and went for slavery instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

We never got to enjoy any recovery because of the flood of cheap immigrants labour pushing up house prices and depressing wages. As soon as our economy recovered, we went straight into a housing crisis. I don't remember that happening in the late-90s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Was wondering this myself when I read about all the job losses the last days

The EU in now in a very serious 3rd quarter downturn in a row. Being basically hidden from the news here.

Edgware wrote: »
    Don't worry. Greta and the gang will save us all with their organic cow****s recipes
    We joined the EU and went for slavery instead.
    We never got to enjoy any recovery because of the flood of cheap immigrants labour pushing up house prices and depressing wages. As soon as our economy recovered, we went straight into a housing crisis. I don't remember that happening in the late-90s.
    Got to get those agendas in there eh lads

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The next one will be a lot worse that the first one. Hopefully coming soon and will reset Treasure Ireland. We are being fleeced.

I don't hope for mass wave of unemployment on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Bizarre sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The eurozone economy has been between awful and mediocre for two decades, the reality is our economy doesn't track the eurozone economy

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

A few points here you should probably take into account before giving off again:

- Irish people are well known for emigrating in good times and bad. There is something like 80mln people claiming to be Irish around the world, how did that happen???

- Cheap immigrants pushing up house prices and depressing wages. So wages go down and they earn pittance, yet they can afford more expensive houses causing the house prices to go up?:confused:

- Maybe look back to early 90's and before that, sure the economy was great with high levels of unemployment, few motorways, not much skilled labour. etc. God, how I wish we could go back to that era!!

- Irish people would rarely accept the low income jobs during the boom, so somebody had to fill the jobs, particularly in the services sector.

Sure isn't it always someone else's fault!! Is it hard to come down off the high horse there?

Got to get those agendas in there eh lads

Have no comeback eh Cabasti Ni Funnuchan?

I don't hope for mass wave of unemployment on anyone

Affordable rents, less traffic and lunch for under 80 euro - what's the problem?

• Advertisement

Have no comeback eh Cabasti Ni Funnuchan?

That we're slaves to the EU hardly warrants a comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The housing crisis wasn't caused by immigrants.

Central banks like the ECB and the Federal Reserve have created a low-interest-rate world that makes investing in bonds unattractive. So institutional investors who used to invest heavily in the bond market (e.g., pension funds) have been looking for other kinds of investments that produce better returns than bonds but more stable returns than stocks. They've been pumping more and more money into real estate investment trusts (REITs), which have been snapping up property to meet demand.

So now Joe and Mary, when buying a house, have to compete not only with other homebuyers but with some of the world's biggest institutional investors, who have billions to pump into the market.

Immigrants are not the cause of this. Central bankers are. If they raised interest rates, institutional investors would go back to bonds and the housing market wouldn't be so overheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

And then David McWilliams says we should borrow another 200bn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I used to follow the business world a good bit in years gone by, these days I am not up to speed with things. I do think however the way big countries are spending and borrowing is going to get sticky somewhere along the line.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Keep an eye on the price of horses.
    When they are making big money the country is thriving.breakfast and chicken fillet rolls for every paddy Irishman in sight.bulgaria property back on the map.
    When the price of horses drops its time to baton down the hatches and make your own breakfast and lunch.back to aldi.
    When the recession kicks in proper they can’t give away horses.
    That’s how I do judge economics

But only for a few years until things get out of control again, Ireland's just doesn't seem to be able or willing to manage itself responsibly. Not that we're alone in that either though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But only for a few years until things get out of control again, Ireland's just doesn't seem to be able or willing to manage itself responsibly. Not that we're alone in that either though

Just maybe Ireland is in a unique situation because of various factors which means we are not in fully in control of our own economic policy, brexit being one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

there's always going to be another recession.......its just a matter of when.

The housing crisis wasn't caused by immigrants.

Central banks like the ECB and the Federal Reserve have created a low-interest-rate world that makes investing in bonds unattractive. So institutional investors who used to invest heavily in the bond market (e.g., pension funds) have been looking for other kinds of investments that produce better returns than bonds but more stable returns than stocks. They've been pumping more and more money into real estate investment trusts (REITs), which have been snapping up property to meet demand.

So now Joe and Mary, when buying a house, have to compete not only with other homebuyers but with some of the world's biggest institutional investors, who have billions to pump into the market.

Immigrants are not the cause of this. Central bankers are. If they raised interest rates, institutional investors would go back to bonds and the housing market wouldn't be so overheated.

2 other factors in the housing crisis are:

(1) The government stopped building social housing in any great numbers for a decade.

(2) People playing the system, turning off decent offers of accommodation.

• Advertisement

Ireland isn't the only country that loses the run of itself.

Advertisement