Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another recession?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It will come as surely as night follows day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

thats a good tip there. How are horse prices at the minute? And where is a good place to keep a check on them?

Done deal or talking to farmers.
    Prices at the minute are only average having not peaked into crazy money since the last recession but I can see the market for them slipping further in the next few months.
    Not a big go for them.
    During the Celtic tiger donkeys we’re making huge money.you would get a jack donkey today for under 100.
    Another one to watch is the sale of hens.
    During the last recession there was a great go on point of lay pullets where people wanted a few for the house for eggs.when the sale of horses goes down and the sale of hens goes up its time to tighten the belts

During the Celtic tiger donkeys we’re making huge money.you would get a jack donkey today for under 100.

Every second kid wanted one after Shrek came out. Mammies and Daddies with more money than sense who couldnt say no.
    A lot of em probably living out their days in the donkey sanctuary, the luckier ones that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

MrAbyss wrote: »
    The government should have ploughed forward and built the Metro and DART Underground and put the costs on the long finger. Allowed massive high rise housing. It would have created tens of thousands of jobs and we'd be in a better shape to handle the deep recession coming.

When a recession happens you build the biggest infrastructure, not cancel it.

This.

Im a public sector worker and the best time to hire in that sector is during a recession. You get better bang for your buck. Instead governments put a ban on recruiting.

Every second kid wanted one after Shrek came out. Mammies and Daddies with more money than sense who couldnt say no.

And the poor fcukers in the donkey sanctuary are picking up the pieces since.
    There was donkeys turned loose into bogs and forestry to get rid of the spoiled brats latest fad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

I'm just still waiting for the Bertie Bowl to be built

Just saw this article in the Indo. The headline says it all, (which is good because you have to register to read the article)

Link to gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just saw this article in the Indo. The headline says it all, (which is good because you have to register to read the article)

Link to gloom

But Zimmer and EI have had a recent recruitment drive both in Shannon. Molex has been in trouble on/off for the last 12 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there a link to show he actually said that?

It doesn't say much for the quality of his staff if he honestly believes that.

This is all i could get on a quick google. No he wasnt slating staff, just saying a lot of our competitive advantage is gone, colleges dropping down rankings etc etc
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/business/ireland-too-costly-warns-intel-boss-294547.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ignore the GDP projections, they can be volatile due to the nature of the Irish economy and the size of multinationals skewing it.

Spending power has been declining over the last number of years. Lower paid workers have been worse off year after year with mild to no tax breaks and the cost of living rising.

Non of this is brexit related either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

enricoh wrote: »
    This is all i could get on a quick google. No he wasnt slating staff, just saying a lot of our competitive advantage is gone, colleges dropping down rankings etc etc
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/business/ireland-too-costly-warns-intel-boss-294547.html

ah shur, if they paid a bit more tax, it would soften the blow of any downturn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

I think it was the irish head of intel that said 20 years ago he could go to the states n have a list the length of his arm why intel should invest its new plant in ireland over other countries.
    He said now there is only one positive reason - corporation tax.
    If that get hit by the eu it could get hairy quickly!

I agree man. I always laugh when people think the Multinational companies are here for 'Irish Talent' hahahahah. If it wasn't for the tax cut's for corporations they would be gone within days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We joined the EU and went for slavery instead.

One sure thing about slavery..... You were always sure of your next meal, a place to live....and s good beating:)

Sorry. Recessions have ended. We've learnt from the mistakes and this time things will be different. As that great Sunday Independent economist, Brendan O'Connor perceptively advised, in July 2007, 'All the smart, ballsy guys are buying up property.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You’re making things up now.

If you can find that link that backs up your earlier statement, that would be great.

I’d say we’ll be waiting a long time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

gifted wrote: »
    Last recession gave me a big lesson......don't buy my lunch anymore, now I make my own......amount of construction workers that I see spending their money on overpriced crap rolls is scary......some of these workers are not even young, did they not learn anything?

Definitely, its the little and often spending that catches you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Link to gloom

Here it is, for those interested in reading it:

The global economy is in trouble.

Ireland has escaped the hard shock of a messy Brexit this month but under the surface there is a real slow down in global trade .

Jobs boomed here in the past decade in tandem with a rise in globalisation, but our status as a small, globalised and hyper connected economy inevitably now means we are on the front line when things go wrong.

This week’s devastating jobs blows at Molex in Shannon, and at Novartis in Cork mean almost a thousand Irish families are facing an uncertain future.

Billionaires Charles Koch and the late David Koch who bought Molex have been important backers of the US Republican party but have opposed Donald Trump’s anti free-trade policies.

They’ll be extremely hard to replace and unfortunately more of these jobs blows are likely on the way.

We don’t know yet how hard a winter Ireland’s manufacturing base is facing. Unfortunately we can be certain that it will be worse than last year’s.

Policy makers – and the rest of us - cannot take what has been a booming Irish jobs market for granted.

The US and China, the world's two biggest economies, are locked in a damaging and unpredictable war of words and trade tariffs that is hurting both existing global trade and the confidence needed to support investment for the future. All multinationals are having to review their global supply chains, global costs and future plans in light of this new reality.

Ireland has had a unique niche in the global supply chains of in industries like microchips, pharmaceuticals and tech, which flourished during the past two decades of increasingly open trading.

Germany quietly slipped into an official recession this week. Like Ireland it has been another key winner when the US and China were holding each other up and is suffering in the new era of tariffs and threats.

Meanwhile, the UK, which remains a key Irish trading partner and in many ways the most dynamic part of the EU economy, is engulfed in Brexit, which has sapped investor confidence and again forced multinationals manufacturers to reconsider their entire supply chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Hard to see how couples can keep buying property for circa 500K in Dublin , there’s a growing number of jobs paying medium money ie 50K , what sort of a life can a couple have paying 500K for a house unless you’ve an inheritance which most don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.... and didn't I hear Eddie Hobbs on the radio the other day trying to sell his services.

Crash imminent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

hurler32 wrote: »
    Hard to see how couples can keep buying property for circa 500K in Dublin , there’s a growing number of jobs paying medium money ie 50K , what sort of a life can a couple have paying 500K for a house unless you’ve an inheritance which most don’t

Exactly, but try telling them that and you'll be told everyone is doing it, what's your problem.

Think about it now, can someone nowadays have the ability to know how trends go.
    A lot of the tourism industry will tip away and the barbors and hairdresser's, takeaways etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

opentarget wrote: »
    Hearing rumors of what?

That there's a crash coming soon in their opinion, this is coming from my manager who deals with the directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

gifted wrote: »
    Last recession gave me a big lesson......don't buy my lunch anymore, now I make my own......amount of construction workers that I see spending their money on overpriced crap rolls is scary......some of these workers are not even young, did they not learn anything?

So you reckon spending a tenner a day on shop bought food is the catalyst for the next recession, i spent 6 euro in my local shop today doing just that, coffee and a small roll, its great to support local businesses rather than doing a big shop in a German owned supermarket once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There is definitely a recession of sorts on the horizon, it's been threatening for a while now

So you reckon spending a tenner a day on shop bought food is the catalyst for the next recession, i spent 6 euro in my local shop today doing just that, coffee and a small roll, its great to support local businesses rather than doing a big shop in a German owned supermarket once a week

It’s wasteful though if you are doing it 5 days a week.lazy too
    You could make lunch for half the cost if you want.
    Half the fcukers are only comfort eating anyway,grazing as they go and eating a big dinner come evening.
    There’s some people and they won’t pass a hot bar.bellys on them like prize boars.no need for half it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Sky King wrote: »
    What are you basing this on?

Brexit, and a homeless and housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It’s wasteful though if you are doing it 5 days a week.lazy too
    You could make lunch for half the cost if you want.
    Half the fcukers are only comfort eating anyway,grazing as they go and eating a big dinner come evening.
    There’s some people and they won’t pass a hot bar.bellys on them like prize boars.no need for half it

Great to get the life lesson, it must be great being perfect, what does it matter as long as they pay for it, theres plenty cant go a week without getting the car washed/valeted, nails hair makeup done, bikram yoga and pilates in the evening i mean coffee costs anything up to 4 euro in some places, where do we stop, ok maybe lads could eat less but giving out about builders eating the lunch is retarded stuff

NIMAN wrote: »
    .... and didn't I hear Eddie Hobbs on the radio the other day trying to sell his services.

Crash imminent.

A three card trick man if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The EU in now in a very serious 3rd quarter downturn in a row. Being basically hidden from the news here.

The USA is booming with record economic and job creation growth off the scale.

But let's make make fun of 'Dumpft' and sing eternal sonnets of unconditional devotion in the direction of the EU Commission.

Free trade isn't all it's cracked up to be that's for sure.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

You don't have to be an economist to know there's a recession coming. That's the capitalist society we live in , it'll come sooner or later. As for the recession being worse than the last one , I'd have hoped people would have gotten some sense and not gone spending money they don't have .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The EU in now in a very serious 3rd quarter downturn in a row. Being basically hidden from the news here.

This is a lie.

Advertisement