Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another recession?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Cal04 wrote: »
    Do you think builders will ever come down in price again, as in get quieter

Probably not very much in relative terms, it is a huge mystery to me how well rewarded construction has been, it was decades ago when I got into it in London and it still is.

Ireland has caught up too, the lobby here is very strong. I have benefited hugely from it, so it might be unfair of me to complain, but it is ridiculous how expensive housing is. It's also crazy how poor a lot of the work, because the regulation here is terribly lax. There are loads of guys making a living going around doing little jobs on Celtic Tiger houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

...the sale of hens goes up its time to tighten the belts

OMG yesterday I was in vet clinic and I see that woman with two hens in a cage beside me and I know that recession is happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I think hyperinflation will sneakily develop more and more causing poverty over time.

Normal inflation will be an achievement in Europe in the next 20 years.

Deflation and stagnation are the main risks.

Can Europe avoid it, maybe but it is already taking incredible firepower to hold things as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We’ll definitely have a slow down in the next few years and probably very few people will expect it. Suddenly rising oil prices, terrorism, bankers irresponsibility are all things that hit my businesses hard over the years and very few people, myself included, expected them.
    When the next economic malaise comes up it will probably be for reasons very few economists expect today.

Globally we are over due a recession.

People I feel are using the last crash as the definition of a recession, that was an event not seen since the great depression.

Most will not feel a new recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Danzy wrote: »

Can Europe avoid it, maybe but it is already taking incredible firepower to hold things as is.
    not sure where cost of living falls in, and buying power, as euro, pound, dollar are losing their buying power, if you look at food cost, then say tech industry we went from 500e a gadget max to over 1k in less then half decade, same with housing market, we hit pre recession prices around 2018, so took less then half decade for prices to double up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 beamoflight

The top 26 billionaires own $1.4 trillion — as much as 3.8 billion other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The danger of recession talk is that it can affect the economy, by making people more cautious with their money and reducing confidence. We could be talking ourselves in to a recession.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nah. That's Bertie Ahern baloney economics.

People get more prudent with their spending when their money doesn't stretch because pricing goes out of whack. In low wage economies, spending becomes lesser out of necessity, because saving for something becomes a priority.

No country ever "talked itself into a recession".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just as well our economy tracks the American one and not Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

bnt wrote: »
    The danger of recession talk is that it can affect the economy, by making people more cautious with their money and reducing confidence. We could be talking ourselves in to a recession.
    Ha! Heard a lot of that in 08!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Globally we are over due a recession.

People I feel are using the last crash as the definition of a recession, that was an event not seen since the great depression.

Most will not feel a new recession.

This, essentially. Irish people are not indebted hugely like before so it would hit big MNCs who do business here. We will lose MNC staff but they are young and flexible (we are lead to believe) and predominantly non-Irish so will follow the jobs somewhere else. We will be told about the blow to corporation tax revenue but we all know that the "growth" of the last few years is not real as, bar a few industries, people are getting squeezed more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think most people are cautious or concerned ,
    even if we do not have a recession,
    certain sectors like tourism or agriculture ,will be effected when brexit
    goes into effect .
    especially sectors depending on exports to the uk.
    Irish products will be more expensive for uk importers ,
    there will be extra expenses simply to send items to the uk.
    I,m not saying every business in ireland will be effected by brexit.
    if the uk economy slows down that means imports from ireland to the uk,
    will decrease .

there will be no recession in the next year , things have turned for the better quite considerably globally , a hard brexit is now completely off the cards , not saying it will be a picnic but there will be no doomsday event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    there will be no recession in the next year , things have turned for the better quite considerably globally , a hard brexit is now completely off the cards , not saying it will be a picnic but there will be no doomsday event

On the contrary, the battle station of brexit has just moved into firing range of the planet Trump.

The odds, according to my super computer, of a recession have risen significantly now that the American election and the British exit have moved closer together.

If you jumped out of a plane, chin first into the ground it would be messy.

If I swung upwards with a sledgehammer, full force, into your chin as we stood beside each other, that would be messy too.

But if I struck your chin with a sledgehammer simultaneously as you hit the ground from a skydive, that would be so powerful it would usher in a global recession.

beejee wrote: »
    On the contrary, the battle station of brexit has just moved into firing range of the planet Trump.

The odds, according to my super computer, of a recession have risen significantly now that the American election and the British exit have moved closer together.

If you jumped out of a plane, chin first into the ground it would be messy.

If I swung upwards with a sledgehammer, full force, into your chin as we stood beside each other, that would be messy too.

But if I struck your chin with a sledgehammer simultaneously as you hit the ground from a skydive, that would be so powerful it would usher in a global recession.

come again ?

Advertisement