Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening/early night Jazz?

Options
  • 23-10-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody have any sugggestions as to where to go to get some evening/early night jazz with a good vibe and a 30's crowd?!

Every year I have great intentions to go into town but then it ends up being absolutely crazy busy by the time I get in - usually around 9. Was thinking maybe it might be less crazy early on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I attempted to get into Reardens on the Sunday last year and started queueing at about 7pm, managed to get in the door shortly after 9:30pm. Tried and failed several times to get a drink. Got knocked to the ground by someone attempting to breakdance and promptly left :pac:
    Never again!!

I would say go in even earlier than 7 if you can and don't make the mistake of going to Reardens. I've heard good things about Barbarossa having some good bands, so maybe give there a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I attempted to get into Reardens on the Sunday last year and started queueing at about 7pm, managed to get in the door shortly after 9:30pm. Tried and failed several times to get a drink. Got knocked to the ground by someone attempting to breakdance and promptly left :pac:
    Never again!!

I would say go in even earlier than 7 if you can and don't make the mistake of going to Reardens. I've heard good things about Barbarossa having some good bands, so maybe give there a try?

Oh jesus, I wouldn't dream of going to Reardens, I think I went there on a night out once....and that was about 15 years ago :D

Yeah, about 2 years ago I headed in on the Sunday and went in and out the door of a few places....went to 76 on the Mall in the imperial and it was literally body to body...could not get to the bar for love nor money....but at the same time I want to get out there and do something...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I would maybe bop around for a lunchtime type buzz, for minimal shoving and crowing you would want somewhere with seating like a cafe/ restaurant. I do remember years back being in Perry St Market and the bodega during the day and they had bands going which was really pleasant. Not saying that is top jazz or anything but possibly more the atmosphere you want

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Never go to Reardens as a rule of thumb.

We've always gone for Day jazz and found MacCurtain Street good, pop to the Metropole, Sin é, then in towards the opera house and on to the Bodega.

Was lucky last year with some friends in getting seating in the Bodega but had a ball there, music was brilliant. Hot 8 Brass band should also be seen wherever they are*

*Assuming they're over this year.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Never go to Reardens as a rule of thumb.

We've always gone for Day jazz and found MacCurtain Street good, pop to the Metropole, Sin é, then in towards the opera house and on to the Bodega.

Was lucky last year with some friends in getting seating in the Bodega but had a ball there, music was brilliant. Hot 8 Brass band should also be seen wherever they are*

Thanks, sounds good, still actually need to have people to go with though :pac: Hopefully a few friends will be willing. I love the idea of finding a spot with seating and just sitting there for a while if it has a good vibe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

D'Agger wrote: »

Alas you assume wrong :(

McCurtain St is a good call though. Plenty going on there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd rather go on a weekend break in Baghdad than entering Reardons. Have to laugh at places like this and Deep South with forced queuing, fooling people who think if there's a queue it has to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You won't regret going to the Old Oak on Sunday at 6pm to see Blues Brothers Banned. Saw them last year, very good.

Thanks guys, so looks like we are going to see Hynotic Brass Ensemble in Cyprus Avenue on Saturday evening - sounds good :)

Will probably head in Sunday afternoon/evening too for a bit and just see what's going on around, so will take all your suggestions into account :)

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sunday afternoon is Metropole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks guys, so looks like we are going to see Hynotic Brass Ensemble in Cyprus Avenue on Saturday evening - sounds good :)

Will probably head in Sunday afternoon/evening too for a bit and just see what's going on around, so will take all your suggestions into account :)

Thanks a mill!

Hypnotics are absolutely class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Is it me or was the city utter carnage the weekend, worse than other years?

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble were really good! Some energy! I didn’t stick around after the gig so didn’t see how messy it was in town but I’d say twas fairly mad alright. Went in on Sunday evening for a bit too but was home again by 10 - I’m very sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The queue for Deep South was nearly down as far as Hillbillies on Grand Parade at about 4pm on Sunday. The crowds were insane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Queuing to get into Reardens or Deep South........why????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Got to town at about 4.30 on Saturday, and it was fairly crazy alright... Q's for Canty's, counihans, Crane Lane... Went to the Roundy for 6, great band on upstairs, then over to the poor relation for the a tribe called quest covers, quality music here.

Neil Barnes (leftfield) then in Cypress Avenue, had to Q for ages across the road even tho we had tickets?? Every gig here seems to be let down by something or other....

Sunday again in early, about 1pm town buzzin, great atmosphere at Emmett Place, caught some tunes here and in the long valley, then caught a great band in the Kino called Five to Two, really enjoyable, excellent musicians and the guy on keyboard was a great laugh.

Great job done on the Kino too, have been to a few gigs in there now and the sound has been absolutely top for them all. Noticeably much much better than anywhere else in town.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Queuing to get into Reardens or Deep South........why????

I wouldn't queue to get in anywhere if I didn't have tickets. We had to queue up outside Cyprus Avenue alright, but I didn't mind that because we were guaranteed to get in.

Went in, very briefly, to the Shelbourne on Sunday evening and came back out again because we basically couldn't get past a certain point and were standning in the middle of the "passage way" where others were trying to get past. It was crazy. We went to Gallaghers then and that was fine because it was just before a gig started, so even though we were standing at the bar, it wasn't mobbed.

€11.50 for a pint in river lee at 1am.
    Just gouging.

Just gouging.

Surely not?
    Seriously?
    Really?
    Pint of what?

• Advertisement

Surely not?
    Seriously?
    Really?
    Pint of what?

Hop House 13.

I guessed there was a premium on serving beyond a certain time but 11.50, come on.
    Had to look at the receipt and change in case I had misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

They probably upped the price just for Jazz weekend.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    They probably upped the price just for Jazz weekend.

They're not cheap, 6 or thereabouts rest of the time. 11.50 is crazy, you'd get a cheaper pint in Norway.

Hop House 13.

I guessed there was a premium on serving beyond a certain time but 11.50, come on.
    Had to look at the receipt and change in case I had misheard.

That's insane.
    That's a standard priced beer.
    That kind of gouging is not good for business.
    I'd be naming and shaming in Trip Advisor or the like.

They're not cheap, 6 or thereabouts rest of the time. 11.50 is crazy, you'd get a cheaper pint in Norway.

That’s just ridiculous, I thought a tenner for a gin and tonic was steep....! 11.50 for a pint?! Madness

Just gouging.

That’s definitely a mistake or charged you for two drinks or something. Did you question it? I was drinking there during the day and Guinness was 5.50 a pint there is no way they upped it that much at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

That’s definitely a mistake or charged you for two drinks or something. Did you question it? I was drinking there during the day and Guinness was 5.50 a pint there is no way they upped it that much at night.

Was that your filthy SUV parked on the footpath outside?

No mistake.
    1 drink only.
    Was in a state of shock tbh, couldn't tell her take it back when it was already poured could I?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The taxi situation over the weekend was insane.nearly had walked home douglas both nights by the time I'd gotten one.why can we not have Uber in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Found ourselves in El Fenix by chance on Sunday around 4-5 o'clock. Couldn't have timed it better. Good jazz bands in there. Intimate enough crowd (largely made up of the musicians). Few pints and then onto the Oval and Impala.

All places had a good atmosphere but definitely not overbearing or packed. Get in early and out early is the way to go when this weekend rolls around.

Advertisement