Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Units of alcohol per week...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sure if you go out Friday or Saturday night evening/night that still leads nearly a full day Saturday and a full day and night Sunday. Surprised I’d have to explain that.

When do you spend time with your friends or enjoying yourself. Not everyone feels the need to be in each other’s pockets 24/7, in fact it’s unhealthy imo.

Presuming you work during the week, and then your weekends seem to be planned around going out drinking in alternate shifts while the kids are looked after. Not much family time left after that is there? Is it that "unhealthy" to spend time with your kids? Like full days when you can doing stuff together and out for dinner in the evenings? You can still have a couple of drinks when the kids are in bed to unwind if you feel the need. Pretty normal I would have thought. Certainly is for the families I know, and I live in one of the biggest party cities in the world. You're not into that fair enough but dont try to paint those who are as the unhealthy ones. That's just deflection.

Ive no problem with nights out at all. We all need them. But every week? Are you not wrecked all the time?!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Presuming you work during the week, and then your weekends seem to be planned around going out drinking in alternate shifts while the kids are looked after. Not much family time left after that is there? Is it that "unhealthy" to spend time with your kids? Like full days when you can doing stuff together and out for dinner in the evenings? Pretty normal I would have thought. Certainly is for the families I know, and I live in one of the biggest party cities in the world. You're not into that fair enough but dont try to paint those who are as the unhealthy ones. That's just deflection.

You are taking the unhealthy comment out of context, even without kids you will see couples fall off the radar and basically be stuck to each other, stop going out individually with their friends etc. That’s what I was referring to.

You are taking the unhealthy comment out of context, even without kids you will see couples fall off the radar and basically be stuck to each other, stop going out individually with their friends etc. That’s what I was referring to.

Yes I agree. I just think that the addition of kids should change things. When they come along it's not just about you anymore and weekly big nights out and regular day drinking sessions need to take a back seat for a while. If you want to be a present parent and supportive partner that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As for hangover time not counting, that is absolute nonsense to be fair. Maybe for you a bit of a hangover isn’t manageable but for many it has little to no affect on their day.

give over will you, double digit pints has no affect on you the next day.

We will be back to the lighweight comments again now soon, backing up my assertion that you are still living in your teens / early 20s.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yes I agree. I just think that the addition of kids should change things. When they come along it's not just about you anymore and weekly big nights out and regular day drinking sessions need to take a back seat for a while. If you want to be a present parent and supportive partner that is.

Along with other people I would disagree, kids should not change things as much as some people do. Regular nights out are perfectly compatible with having kids and many people are simply not going to let it take a back seat as they need their enjoyment and downtime too. This is where my giving up on life comment comes from you see some parents say they never get out and their life is taken over (on boards I see this a lot), where as in my experience it doesn’t have near as much of an impact in my circle of friends as people aren’t willing to fall into that trap. Having both partners on the same page helps too of course.

• Advertisement

Along with other people I would disagree, kids should not change things as much as some people do. Regular nights out are perfectly compatible with having kids and many people are simply not going to let it take a back seat as they need their enjoyment and downtime too. This is where my giving up on life comment comes from you see some parents say they never get out and their life is taken over (on boards I see this a lot), where as in my experience it doesn’t have near as much of an impact in my circle of friends as people aren’t willing to fall into that trap. Having both partners on the same page helps too of course.

Nox,

either your friends with kids are both out drinking all the time and farming their kids off to their grand parents

or one of them, most likely the man, is out drinking all the time and leaving his wife to it.

neither situation is ideal if its an every weekend thing.

and given how you boast about not leaving for work until 9 o clock or so itll be interesting to see the kind of parent you are with a small baby waking at 6 am when you have finished up 10-12 pints at 4am the night before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I didn’t say raising kids was giving up on life, people who give up on going out at weekends etc I would though. Going out for a good drink of a Friday or Saturday evening/night and an odd all day session here and there should in no way be considered an issue for resisting kids. People who say this are the exact type of people I would hate to become, totally letting kids take over their life rather than also having their own enjoyment and down time.

Some posters really live in a totally different world and totally different circles of friends and family it appears. As I am totally normal among the people I know and I find a number of posters situations very strange and not how I would personally like to be living my life.

When you have children, you can’t do whatever you want anymore. That’s not letting children take over your life, it’s realising that they are very vulnerable dependents. For every parent, their children need to be considered in every single decision they make.

Imagine you have young children. You’re on an all day sesh and one of the children falls ill or gets injured and your wife needs to rush to the hospital. Wouldn’t it be better to be there to support her rather than leave her scrambling for other family members to pick up the slack?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Nox
    Can I ask what age you out of interest?
    Single?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Cyrus wrote: »
    Nox,

either your friends with kids are both out drinking all the time and farming their kids off to their grand parents

or one of them, most likely the man, is out drinking all the time and leaving his wife to it.

and given how you boast about not leaving for work until 9 o clock or so itll be interesting to see the kind of parent you are with a small baby waking at 6 am when you have finished up 10-12 pints at 4am the night before

Ah don't worry, the toddler can walk over to his parents next door when mammy&daddy have the hangovers from boozing the night away :D

This is exactly what I meant with how dangerous is to normalise this drinking habit. Many people do because what they do can't be bad and even worse when your social circle is on page with that.
    Going out and taking turns is absolutely one thing, parents should get their downtime in (almost) every way they wish. But once kids are on the radar things are different. They get sick at the most inconvenient times, they hurt themselves, feel off or are just having a really difficult stretch where they cling to their parents because this is what kids do occasionally.
    Since I grew up surrounded by heavy drinkers, as a child it's absolute sh*te to spend half the weekend waiting on a parent to even be in a state to sit up. It absolutely limits your ability to do active things with them and go places. Also it's not a good idea driving baby darling to the GAA or rugby at 10.30 am after a night of boozing, alcohol is most likely still in the system and often people are wrecked. I mean I see this every single weekend on pitches, daddies that clearly went on the p1ss the night before wheeling the horde of spawns to the blitz.

It happens all the time people get briefed in the serious signs of drinking too much and of course it never "applies to me". Didn't apply on my dad who crashed his car with his little daughter into the motorway railing. Didn't apply to my grandfather who was a vineyard owner and a neglecting piece of work. Also didn't apply to my granny that saw her tipsyness at 3pm as a carte blanche to insult everyone that she came across.
    When people enter new phases in life they review an awful lot: their finances, their schedules, their common and individual goals and hobbies and if they're still up to date? Why not reviewing the more uncomfortable things like overspending, drinking or a bad diet? Because it is uncomfortable. Nobody wants to admit that they eat unhealthily or drink too much.

I really doubt anyone has a problem with parents having a night out or not sitting on top of each other 24/7. Doing drinking rotas every weekend though so everyone gets their battering is something else though, especially to escape everyday life with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

LirW wrote: »
    Ah don't worry, the toddler can walk over to his parents next door when mammy&daddy have the hangovers from boozing the night away :D

I know you're joking but nox has actually said that nights out will become easier when the kid can turn on the TV and pour himself cereal......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nox,

Will you ever go off and have a long chat with yourself ffs. Getting on to some stranger on the internet whose only 'crime' is to enjoy a few pints. All high and mighty about spending time enjoying your kids when you actually seem to spend more time on boards for days trying to prove your superiority to a random guy you don't even know.

I would say it's you who needs to get a life pal.

Nox is trolling us big time i say it’s fun to read tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod
    Can everyone put their pint glasses down and relax.

Attitudes to alcohol are very polarised. Respect the other side have their views. Play the ball, not the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

sasta le wrote: »

Yeah because no one could possibly have 8 pints and still get up for work the next day. The human body simply cannot handle that amount or the craic that comes with it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

While this is plausible, winding up people for the laughs is lame, especially when drinking is a quite emotional topic for people that have been affected by it. In that case I don't even care tipping text walls.

Wailin wrote: »
    Will you ever go off and have a long chat with yourself ffs. Getting on to some stranger on the internet whose only 'crime' is to enjoy a few pints. All high and mighty about spending time enjoying your kids when you actually seem to spend more time on boards for days trying to prove your superiority to a random guy you don't even know.

I would say it's you who needs to get a life pal.

who did i tell to get a life, pal? I enjoy a few pints, we are talking about regular all day sessions where 16 pints and shorts is the order of the day.

the same stranger is looking down on anyone who doesnt agree with his outlook on drinking to excess and says people like that have given up on life.

wind your neck in, nox is well able to speak up for himself.

threads wouldnt exist if people didnt have different views. yours clearly align with his, so join the debate.

Yeah because no one could possibly have 8 pints and still get up for work the next day. The human body simply cannot handle that amount or the craic that comes with it.

Depending on his or her age and stage of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I drink all the time with people who have kids, yeah you might not get out as much for a good session (particularly as a couple, you take turns more going out) but it’s once a week or once every two weeks not twice a year you hear fine people reduced to.

Or you know you take turns like most sensible couples do. One goes out with their friends Friday night and the other Saturday night or alternate weekends or whatever. It’s also easy enough to arrange childcare when you live lose to family and friends if both parents what to get out.

The in-laws have to be on standby? After probably looking after them all week? Happy retirement, grandparents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nox
    Single?

Back off! I saw him first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Back off! I saw him first!

Lads, he's having a laugh with you. In some threads he's a landlord, others a scientist and recently he's a retail trader in Galway City! Now he's telling us he has kids and regularly drinks 20 pints and hits the pub first thing in the morning for a full day session.

Entertaining and amusing, but take it all with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

give over will you, double digit pints has no affect on you the next day.

I never said no affect, I said you just get on with your day even if you are hungover.

There is a lot of ground between no hangover and spending the day in bed getting sick. The latter appears to be how you would end up after 12 or 14 pints but it isn’t how many other end up. Didn’t mean they are skipping around the place in perfect condition but they get on with it.
    Nox
    Single?

Mid 30’s and married.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lads, he's having a laugh with you. In some threads he's a landlord, others a scientist and recently he's a retail trader in Galway City! Now he's telling us he has kids and regularly drinks 20 pints and hits the pub first thing in the morning for a full day session.

Entertaining and amusing, but take it all with a pinch of salt.

I’m afraid most of this is in your head. I’ve never once claimed to be a LL (though I do discuss on the property form, which is open to no -LL as you well know), I don’t even know what you are taking about in relation to being a retail trader? The only comment I even remember making in relation to retail traders is that the Christmas market should remain open over the Christmas how your imagination managed to twist the one I’ve no idea, bizarre stuff.. You are correct that I work in a science related field though and I’ve never claimed otherwise.

Maybe you fell off your skateboard and hit your head, though any grown man who uses a skateboard to get around can’t really be taken seriously anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

maybe you fell off your skateboard and hit your head, though any grown man who uses a skateboard to get around can’t really be taken seriously anyway.

To paraphrase Christy Moore in Delerium Tremens -

As I sat lookin' up at the Guinness and I could never figure out. How your man stayed up on the skateboard after 14 pints of stout.

I don’t even know what you are taking about in relation to being a retail trader?
    Because traders like me and anyone with half a brain can understand that less cars will definitely mean less people without a shadow of a doubt.

That's you lamenting the fact that traders like you will loose money if cars are banned from Galway!
    Maybe you fell off your skateboard and hit your head, though any grown man who uses a skateboard to get around can’t really be taken seriously anyway.

I've excellent balance and coordination, I never fall off the thing.

Come on Nox, you're a spoofer, there's not a hope in hell you have kids and spend weekends in the pub from early morning to late evenings!! I love a few scoops myself and head out a few times a month, but not at that level.

That's you lamenting the fact that traders like you will loose money if cars are banned from Galway!

I didn’t mean I was a trader I was saying traders share my opinion that cars are very important for trade. Traders are like me in having this opinion.

a spoofer, there's not a hope in hell you have kids and spend weekends in the pub from early morning to late evenings!! I love a few scoops myself and head out a few times a month, but not at that level.

Nor did I claim I’m in the pub from morning till late evening every weekend, yourself and other posters came to that conclusion. Having a good session once a week does not equate to spending all day every weekend. I never said all day sessions are weekly (particularly ones involving the early house they are a hand full of times per year), I wish they were but they aren’t.

Nox, if you're planning on having kids, you'll have to knock the drinking on the head surely?

All that alcohol won't help the little swimmers. You are increasing the risk of having a baby with birth defects.

salonfire wrote: »
    Nox, if you're planning on having kids, you'll have to knock the drinking on the head surely?

All that alcohol won't help the little swimmers. You are increasing the risk of having a baby with birth defects.

Don’t know anyone who stopped drinking before or after having kids so that’s a no for me too (bar the mother during pregnancy of course).

Some people really live complicated lives with all the rules they enforce on themselves and what way you should be living at a certain age and other such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I never said no affect, I said you just get on with your day even if you are hungover.

There is a lot of ground between no hangover and spending the day in bed getting sick. The latter appears to be how you would end up after 12 or 14 pints but it isn’t how many other end up. Didn’t mean they are skipping around the place in perfect condition but they get on with it.

Mid 30’s and married.

I’m afraid most of this is in your head. I’ve never once claimed to be a LL (though I do discuss on the property form, which is open to no -LL as you well know), I don’t even know what you are taking about in relation to being a retail trader? The only comment I even remember making in relation to retail traders is that the Christmas market should remain open over the Christmas how your imagination managed to twist the one I’ve no idea, bizarre stuff.. You are correct that I work in a science related field though and I’ve never claimed otherwise.

I dunno if you’re genuine or not, but it is easier believe you’re a messer than someone who drinks multiple amounts of the recommended maximum, says drinking is his favourite pastime, criticises people with kids for not drinking enough, feels sympathy for people exercising rather than drinking and genuinely sees no holes at all in their argument or issues with their lifestyle!

Don’t know anyone who stopped drinking before or after having kids so that’s a no for me too (bar the mother during pregnancy of course).

Some people really live complicated lives with all the rules they enforce on themselves and what way you should be living at a certain age and other such nonsense.

I agree with you there to a certain extent, but in my mind the man would need to give it up while trying. Go back to what way you like once pregnancy is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I'm just back from an AA meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I'm just back from an AA meeting.

Your car broke down?

salonfire wrote: »
    I agree with you there to a certain extent, but in my mind the man would need to give it up while trying. Go back to what way you like once pregnancy is confirmed.

Why? The reality is it doesn’t happen, I’d say a large number of conceptions happen while both parents are drunk never mind giving up alcohol. Absolutely no need to be taking such measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Is 84 a good or bad score ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Satisfyingly amusing to say a spoofer get caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Satisfyingly amusing to say a spoofer get caught out.

to be fair he is not a spoofer and nor has he been caught out.
    he is deadly serious and how he drinks is the culture, way of life and tradition for a number of us from rural ireland. it's a very prowd tradition and we do enjoy it.
    city town and village folk will never understand and get our way of life, culture and traditions but we are who we are and we are a prowd people and we like to drink a good bit at least once a week.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

he is deadly serious and how he drinks is the culture, way of life and tradition for a number of us from rural ireland. it's a very prowd tradition and we do enjoy it.
    city town and village folk will never understand and get our way of life, culture and traditions but we are who we are and we are a prowd people and we like to drink a good bit at least once a week.

Culture? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

tuxy wrote: »
    Your car broke down?

No I just think it's funny that this thread is the first thing I click on. I'm not going to get into units as not all heavy drinkers are alcoholics. I think there are a lot of judgemental statements being made in this thread. Honestly, some of the lads I used to drink with would easily put away 8 pints in a 'normal' (not even heavy) session and be fine for work and mostly turned out not to be alcoholics (they were just heavy drinkers who later moderated significantly, when life caught up).

Personally I'm the real deal, an alkie, I haven't gone to 250 or so AA meetings during the past year for amusement value, but it's not just, or even mostly, about quantities. It's been said previously in the the thread that the units per week thing is junk science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

elperello wrote: »
    They claim that 3 pints is a binge drinking episode.

Irrespective of the units measurement figure being plucked out of the air, I've always found the yardstick above to a load of old pony.

you cant expect anyone to take anything you post in this thread seriously now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Gas man!! Nothing a rural dweller like myself is as proud of as getting **** faced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Gas man!! Nothing a rural dweller like myself is as proud of as getting **** faced!

I know you to be a peaceful, whimsical, tree-dwelling tribe of foragers who mean no harm! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, the dockers, stevedores, printers, prison officers & journalists of the cities had an awful name for never drinking in the morning or at lunchtime and heading straight home after work and going to bed at nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah, the dockers, stevedores, printers, prison officers & journalists of the cities had an awful name for never drinking in the morning or at lunchtime and heading straight home after work and going to bed at nine.

Yeah seriously. I’m from a small village/area with a single pub single shop/post office. I know what the poster is talking about and it’s not unique to rural people. It’s just common to people who are dependant on alcohol.

I have to say I’m always amused by the protagonist’s posts. They have the strongest cognitive dissonance I’ve seen ever seen on boards. They never have to wonder what’s right or wrong, they just look at what they personally do and presume that’s the only correct and normal way to do things. Always amusing if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tony EH wrote: »
    Irrespective of the units measurement figure being plucked out of the air, I've always found the yardstick above to a load of old pony.

That promotion of 6 units as a binge probably did more to discredit the whole unit counting project than anything else.

Most people who drink just laughed at the notion and they were the target audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why? The reality is it doesn’t happen, I’d say a large number of conceptions happen while both parents are drunk never mind giving up alcohol. Absolutely no need to be taking such measures.
    It's strongly advised. The quality of sperm degrades with continuous heavy drinking, which makes conception more difficult and slightly inceases the risk of miscarriage and foetal abnormalities.

If a couple is having difficulty conceiving, then knocking the serious drinking on the head is a must.

Never ceases to amaze me when you see couples on TV talking about their troubles conceiving, and part of the story talks about them smoking and/or drinking five nights a week. And a good 75% of the time they're morbidly obese and doing nothing about it.

And then they're throwing thousands at a private hospital to try and help them.

seamus wrote: »
    It's strongly advised. The quality of sperm degrades with continuous heavy drinking, which makes conception more difficult and slightly inceases the risk of miscarriage and foetal abnormalities.

If a couple is having difficulty conceiving, then knocking the serious drinking on the head is a must.

Never ceases to amaze me when you see couples on TV talking about their troubles conceiving, and part of the story talks about them smoking and/or drinking five nights a week. And a good 75% of the time they're morbidly obese and doing nothing about it.

And then they're throwing thousands at a private hospital to try and help them.

You usually hear about these cases but not about the majority who don’t have issues and make no changes to their lifestyle whatsoever. Sure a lot of coupes are even necessary trying as such when they get pregnant, they aren’t actively trying to prevent it happening but they aren’t doing anything other than not using protection.

You usually hear about these cases but not about the majority who don’t have issues and make no changes to their lifestyle whatsoever. Sure a lot of coupes are even necessary trying as such when they get pregnant, they aren’t actively trying to prevent it happening but they aren’t doing anything other than not using protection.

the poster said if a couple is having difficulty conceiving. And the further into your 30s you get, the likelihood of having a normal full term pregnancy with a healthy child at the end of it gets lower. So your example of people just stopping using protection is far less likely to work when you are 37 v say 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Look 3 pints is a binge. Anything over 4 most ppl are not capable of much. Talking rubbish, arguing etc. falling asleep. Then worse - sickness vomiting and black out as u go up the pints.

Some ppl on this thread want u to believe they can drink a barrel full of stout and it barely effects them. Biology doesn’t work like that.

elperello wrote: »
    That promotion of 6 units as a binge probably did more to discredit the whole unit counting project than anything else.

Most people who drink just laughed at the notion and they were the target audience.

I looked up what the definition of binge drinking in the US is and they put a time frame on it, so 4-6 drinks over 2 hours meet the definition. Seems to make a bit more sense. Their recommended "safe" levels are 7 drinks a week for women and 14 for men with anything over this being defined as "heavy drinking", which seems a bit extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Has anyone actually worked sober among ppl who are drunk?

They get messy after 3-4 pints. So it Is a binge and should be treated as such

Has anyone actually worked sober among ppl who are drunk?

They get messy after 3-4 pints. So it Is a binge and should be treated as such

Absolute nonsense of the highest order. I’ve had that much at lunch and gone back to work (rarely but I’ve done it).

• Advertisement
Advertisement