Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Units of alcohol per week...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Also on the weight loss.

U see ppl whining and moaning about sticking to some dr egghead weight loss plan of a stick of celery and boiled egg for dinner in work.

Then come 5 on a Friday they are milling into jugs of fat frog cocktails made from alco pop full of sugar. Same sat and Sunday.

Then come Monday the cribbing and moaning about the lack of weight loss starts again.

Absolute nonsense of the highest order. I’ve had that much at lunch and gone back to work (rarely but I’ve done it).

Sign of an alcoholic to be honest. I’d sack someone on the spot for drinking that quantity and then reporting back as if they are fit for work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Absolute nonsense of the highest order. I’ve had that much at lunch and gone back to work (rarely but I’ve done it).

Surely you will acknowledge that having four pints would damage your performance at work?!

Surely you will acknowledge that having four pints would damage your performance at work?!

As is said not something I’d have done often (mostly because it’s torture getting a taste for it and then having to stop and go back to work) but I’d have no issue whatsoever functioning just fine at work after 3 or 4 pints. Often operated machinery after similar amounts or more too on the farm (having jobs to do after coming home after a few pints), private land of course before anything is said.

It’s just to counter the nonsense posted about people being a mess after 3 or 4 pints, when it’s not even enough to be considered drinking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As is said not something I’d have done often (mostly because it’s torture getting a taste for it and then having to stop and go back to work) but I’d have no issue whatsoever functioning just fine at work after 3 or 4 pints. Often operated machinery after similar amounts or more too on the farm (having jobs to do after coming home after a few pints), private land of course before anything is said.

It’s just to counter the nonsense posted about people being a mess after 3 or 4 pints, when it’s not even enough to be considered drinking imo.

Well I'm a bit of a boozehound myself Nox, but I have to say not only would I not ever take drink at work or before coming in to work (IT, not exactly high-risk) but I wouldn't start a lawnmower, use a power saw or anything like that after a half-gallon.

Ok, you are definitely a spoofer, no way you can have this high powered, responsible job which takes heaps of education to fulfill and be able to do it perfectly while on the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

If you think it’s ok to work in a farm after 4 or 5 beers, you might want to read this. The stats done lie..

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/farms-still-most-dangerous-workplaces-in-ireland-473036.html

Ok, you are definitely a spoofer, no way you can have this high powered, responsible job which takes heaps of education to fulfill and be able to do it perfectly while on the piss!

You wouldn’t want to be doing it everyday obviously but no issue comfortably managing an afternoon after a few pints every now and then.

I also travel a lot for work and a lot of my meetings end up in bars etc and then having to continue the meeting the day after, present to big audiences etc after a heavy night etc. To be honest a lot of the time the real business relationships are built in the pub over pints not the meeting room, it’s certinly how I’ve made a lot of contacts and got to know people I wouldn’t have otherwise (for instance getting to know senior people who you probably wouldn’t get to approach in an office but in the informal surrounds of a pub it’s much easier and next thing you meet in work and get chatting etc.

I would be fairly confident in saying that getting to know people over drinks has significant progressed my career.

You wouldn’t want to be doing it everyday obviously but no issue comfortably managing an afternoon after a few pints every now and then.

I also travel a lot for work and a lot of my meetings end up in bars etc and then having to continue the meeting the day after, present to big audiences etc after a heavy night etc. To be honest a lot of the time the real business relationships are built in the pub over pints not the meeting room, it’s certinly how I’ve made a lot of contacts and got to know people I wouldn’t have otherwise (for instance getting to know senior people who you probably wouldn’t get to approach in an office but in the informal surrounds of a pub it’s much easier and next thing you meet in work and get chatting etc.

I would be fairly confident in saying that getting to know people over drinks has significant progressed my career.

In your view alcohol is helpful from a career perspective, doesn't harm your health or fertility, doesn't hinder other interests or family life, and health agencies are misguided in advising people to limit its consumption. Of course you believe all this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What weight are you as a matter of interest?

Parking the alcohol element for a minute, the amount of calories you are consuming on a regular basis would seem to be off the scale.

I believe everything nox says is genuine and he truly believes it.

I also believe there is nothing any of us can say to convince him that his attitude to and relationship with alcohol is unhealthy and dangerous.

Nox lives and works (from what I have gathered) in a very laddish culture of IT and farming with long hours at work and then into the pub after. When he looks around him he sees other similar people. This is probably a continuation of his college experience.

He doesn't notice the subtle differences of who does it regularly, how much they have, when they stop, what they are like the next day, because there is always someone out with him.
    If he does (like earlier when he said someone didn't like being in a round with him) they are the odd one out as everyone else seems to be going along with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In your view alcohol is helpful from a career perspective, doesn't harm your health or fertility, doesn't hinder other interests or family life, and health agencies are misguided in advising people to limit its consumption. Of course you believe all this....

Well, it is the cause of and solution to all of life’s problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He works for the scientific research arm of the VFI. Trying to find the proof that alcohol really does lengthen life expectancy and indeed improve ones overall health.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

He works for the scientific research arm of the VFI. Trying to find the proof that alcohol really does lengthen life expectancy and indeed improve ones overall health.

He really gets on your tits, doesn’t he?

Well, it is the cause of and solution to all of life’s problems.

Just the solution in this lad's world!!!!

• Advertisement

Just the solution in this lad's world!!!!

I miss the time when people got classic Simpsons references. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Look 3 pints is a binge. Anything over 4 most ppl are not capable of much. Talking rubbish, arguing etc. falling asleep.

It's not though, perhaps you should use a bit of common sense. Personally I hate people who say 3 or 4 drinks is a binge as these people are completely out of touch with reality and are useless when it comes to helping alcoholics, they may as well go around saying that alcohol and violent films should be banned as they are living on a different planet. 3 or 4 pints is a normal person enjoying themselves.

I believe everything nox says is genuine and he truly believes it.

I also believe there is nothing any of us can say to convince him that his attitude to and relationship with alcohol is unhealthy and dangerous.

Nox lives and works (from what I have gathered) in a very laddish culture of IT and farming with long hours at work and then into the pub after. When he looks around him he sees other similar people. This is probably a continuation of his college experience.

He doesn't notice the subtle differences of who does it regularly, how much they have, when they stop, what they are like the next day, because there is always someone out with him.
    If he does (like earlier when he said someone didn't like being in a round with him) they are the odd one out as everyone else seems to be going along with him.

Aye, heavy drinkers seek out other heavy drinkers. It was ever thus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

elperello wrote: »
    That promotion of 6 units as a binge probably did more to discredit the whole unit counting project than anything else.

Most people who drink just laughed at the notion and they were the target audience.
    This is exactly the misunderstanding that causes the issue. It’s not supposed to be telling you how many units should get you drunk. It’s just telling you how many units will do damage to your body.

It’s not supposed to be a guide to how many units will satisfy an urge to get merry/hammered

This is exactly the misunderstanding that causes the issue. It’s not supposed to be telling you how many units should get you drunk. It’s just telling you how many units will do damage to your body.

It’s not supposed to be a guide to how many units will satisfy an urge to get merry/hammered

It’s misuse of the word binge of 3 pints is considered a binge, “binge: a period of excessive indulgence”. Even a very light drinker would in no way on earth consider 3 pints a binge. It’s just stupid saying it is and it is simply laughed at. Many wouldn’t even consider themselves having been drinking after 3 pints.

Personally I would consider a binge being double figures of pints, a rake of shots etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No misunderstanding on my part.
    I never mentioned getting drunk.
    My point was that people who drink know that three pints is not binge drinking. Calling it such just tends to undermine the health message they are trying to promote.

It’s misuse of the word binge of 3 pints is considered a binge, “binge: a period of excessive indulgence”. Even a very light drinker would in no way on earth consider 3 pints a binge. It’s just stupid saying it is and it is simply laughed at. Many wouldn’t even consider themselves having been drinking after 3 pints.

Personally I would consider a binge being double figures of pints, a rake of shots etc.

Ah yeah but you’ve to remember that you’re a mad lad alltogether. Normal rules don’t apply to you.

As I said, its not about how much gets you drunk, it’s about how much booze it takes to do harm to the body. Believe it or not, getting you drunk and having a health impact are not the same. It might take more to get you drunk than it takes to have an impact on your body e.g. liver damage. Obviously in your case it takes a skip of pints and shots to get you merry. But that’s because you’re a legend on the pints.

Ah yeah but you’ve to remember that you’re a mad lad alltogether. Normal rules don’t apply to you.

As I said, its not about how much gets you drunk, it’s about how much booze it takes to do harm to the body. Believe it or not, getting you drunk and having a health impact are not the same. It might take more to get you drunk than it takes to have an impact on your body e.g. liver damage. Obviously in your case it takes a skip of pints and shots to get you merry. But that’s because you’re a legend on the pints.

As I said before I would consider myself a very average normal drinker, I know as many who drink more than me as less than me.

No misunderstanding on my part.
    I never mentioned getting drunk.
    My point was that people who drink know that three pints is not binge drinking. Calling it such just tends to undermine the health message they are trying to promote.

If you define a binge as the guidance does as enough to cause harm to the body, then it makes perfect sense. How do you define a binge?

As I said before I would consider myself a very average normal drinker, I know as many who drink more than me as less than me.

Not-a-tall. You’re a total ledge. You’ve gone to great pains to demonstrate how much of a mad lad you are. No point being shy now.

In any case, You’ve avoided the point that it’s not about setting an amount to satisfy your urge for booze. It’s about indicating the amount of booze that causes harm to the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i literally know nobody who considers 16 pints and a rake of shots a normal day out.

As I said, its not about how much gets you drunk, it’s about how much booze it takes to do harm to the body.

To talk about "harm" after 3 pints is an absolute joke, a tiny bit of "harm" is part of life as we cant spend all our time in little safety bubbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Greyfox wrote: »
    To talk about "harm" after 3 pints is an absolute joke, it makes the person talking about it look like a complete and utter eejit.

i defer to your greater medical knowledge .....

To talk about "harm" after 3 pints is an absolute joke, it makes the person talking about it look like a complete and utter eejit.

Why? The amount that causes harm to the body is completely unrelated to the amount that gets you drunk. Why is that something an eejit would say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you define a binge as the guidance does as enough to cause harm to the body, then it makes perfect sense. How do you define a binge?

It really is immaterial what I define as a binge, we don't all get to have our own definition of a binge.

My point is that people who drink already had a picture in their heads of a binge and it certainly wasn't three pints. By calling three pints a binge the health promoters simply damaged their own message.

They wanted to get across to drinkers that three pints in one sitting is bad for your health. They should have stuck to that instead of trying to hijack a term that already had currency in drinkers minds.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    i literally know nobody who considers 16 pints and a rake of shots a normal day out.

Is it a normal Tuesday no, is it an outlandish amount for a day at a wedding, days over the Christmas period, a lads day out, a weekend away etc...no imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is it a normal Tuesday no, is it an outlandish amount for a day at a wedding, days over the Christmas period, a lads day out, a weekend away etc...no imo.

How often you go out?What would you spend a week on alcohol?Do you home drink?

It really is immaterial what I define as a binge, we don't all get to have our own definition of a binge.

My point is that people who drink already had a picture in their heads of a binge and it certainly wasn't three pints. By calling three pints a binge the health promoters simply damaged their own message.

They wanted to get across to drinkers that three pints in one sitting is bad for your health. They should have stuck to that instead of trying to hijack a term that already had currency in drinkers minds.

Sure. So it’s a misunderstood of what a binge is (pretty much exact what I said to begin with).

If you define a binge as the guidance does as the amount that will likely cause harm to the body, then it makes perfect sense. If you define a binge as a usual session or the amount that gets you drunk or merry, then it’s just a misunderstanding.

So exactly what I said to begin with. If it would be better to use a different term instead of ‘binge’ then grand. When they say binge, read ‘the amount of alcohol that will likely cause harm to the body’. Problem solved

Binge drinking just means drinking to excess so from a health point of view a binge is the amount that chooses harm. The colloquial usage means getting drunk. It’s just a misunderstanding -exactly like I said in the first post you disagreed with.

Why is that something an eejit would say?

Giving out to someone who has a healthy lifestyle for having a massive spice bag ONCE a month would be a really stupid thing to do and this would be similar

Giving out to someone who has a healthy lifestyle for having a massive spice bag ONCE a month would be a really stupid thing to do and this would be similar

Who’s giving out? It’s a guidance. No need to take it personally.

There’s no need to follow it either. You’re an adult. You can know that booze beyond 6-8 units is causing harm to your body and still do it. The important thing is to be informed on what you’re doing and then choose how to behave.

The guidance isn’t giving out to you. It’s informing you. The fact that you’d see it as giving out to you is interesting in and of itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The strangest, most bizarre thing I find about this thread is this. End of the Road, the poster, has liked everyone of Nox's posts or ones of similar sentiment.

You're strongly pro life. As I am, we've argued on threads together and I respected you. I can't believe you want children to be brought into a world where one parent is much more concerned with all day sessions to the detriment of rearing these children. Because that's what it is. They won't see as much of their dad as they should, they'll miss out on activities their friends will have. Their chances of coming from a broken home, and all the psychological damage that does, are greatly multiplied. I'm totally taken aback at your support for this.

Moderate occasional drinking is fine, but what's been advocated here is childish machismo about how much one can drink.

Who’s giving out? It’s a guidance. No need to take it personally.

There’s no need to follow it either. You’re an adult. You can know that booze beyond 6-8 units is causing harm to your body and still do it. The important thing is to be informed on what you’re doing

Yeah I think I'm wrongly assuming it's giving out. I do think though that if people want advice to be taken seriously they need to be realistic about what people would be willing to listen too.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    The strangest, most bizarre thing I find about this thread is this. End of the Road, the poster, has liked everyone of Nox's posts or ones of similar sentiment.

You're strongly pro life. As I am, we've argued on threads together and I respected you. I can't believe you want children to be brought into a world where one parent is much more concerned with all day sessions to the detriment of rearing these children. Because that's what it is. They won't see as much of their dad as they should, they'll miss out on activities their friends will have. Their chances of coming from a broken home, and all the psychological damage that does, are greatly multiplied. I'm totally taken aback at your support for this.

Moderate occasional drinking is fine, but what's been advocated here is childish machismo about how much one can drink.

There is some serious exaggeration of what I’ve been saying going on, this post demonstrates this very well.

Yeah I think I'm wrongly assuming it's giving out. I do think though that if people want advice to be taken seriously they need to be realistic about what people would be willing to listen too.

But that sounds like saying what people want to hear :) Whatever the truth is is best. Be that having 3 pints 5 might a week does no harm or is scientifically proven to do long term harm.

We all have our own ideas re. drink, 20-30 years ago 3 pints a night would seem nothing to a 16 stone man. But there was no science to show whether it did harm or not.

• Advertisement

There is some serious exaggeration of what I’ve been saying going on, this post demonstrates this very well.

It's not Nox. It's what you've said in your posts. But I think you said you don't have children yet. Honestly you can't combine that lifestyle with rearing young children.

And this, ah shur there'll be family to look after them, raised by the village approach is a cop out. You'll be their father.

It will involve you being at 10am starts for hurling games for U6 etc at short enough notice in pissing rain. As another poster said you can't have alcohol in your blood and you might have to up earlier to have farm jobs done.

The missus could be working, sick pregnant etc and you'll have to man up. Can't be hiding behind mad drinking sessions.

It's not though, perhaps you should use a bit of common sense. Personally I hate people who say 3 or 4 drinks is a binge as these people are completely out of touch with reality and are useless when it comes to helping alcoholics, they may as well go around saying that alcohol and violent films should be banned as they are living on a different planet. 3 or 4 pints is a normal person enjoying themselves.

Have you ever been around someone with 3 pints in them? It’s a nightmare. Now yes some are better at “hiding” the effect (usually go talkative or else silent) but all of them are are incapable of driving, minding children, following health and safety, doing any kind of work involving focus or heavy machinery etc. they are basically out of action until the alcohol slowly wears off

It's not Nox. It's what you've said in your posts. But I think you said you don't have children yet. Honestly you can't combine that lifestyle with rearing young children.

And this, ah shur there'll be family to look after them, raised by the village approach is a cop out. You'll be their father.

It will involve you being at 10am starts for hurling games for U6 etc at short enough notice in pissing rain. As another poster said you can't have alcohol in your blood and you might have to up earlier to have farm jobs done.

The missus could be working, sick pregnant etc and you'll have to man up. Can't be hiding behind mad drinking sessions.

And one possibly two nights involving drinking per week is perfectly compatible with all of the above. Do you think I haven’t had to be up long before 10am doing things after nights out.

Leave out the constant references to all day sessions by other people, they aren’t a weekly thing. One proper night out per week plus one quieter night or a few cans at home etc would be much closer to normal with very little hindrance on the following morning.

Also I’ve done the morning drop offs with younger siblings (often earlier than 10am) after massive nights out so that’s nothing new to me. People make serious work out of things really coming up with mountains out of mole hills for every situation.

Nox the question for you is this.

Could you give up the drink this minute for 3 months and be able to do it without any hassle?

Now ignoring questions like why, I love it etc.

You're a young man, should be in control, ask yourself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

And one possibly two nights involving drinking per week is perfectly compatible with all of the above. Do you think I haven’t had to be up long before 10am doing things after nights out.

Leave out the constant references to all day sessions by other people, they aren’t a weekly thing. One proper night out per week plus one quieter night or a few cans at home etc would be much closer to normal with very little hindrance on the following morning.

Also I’ve done the morning drop offs with younger siblings (often earlier than 10am) after massive nights out so that’s nothing new to me.

Lol.

10am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Anyone with kids would be lucky be have 1 or 2 nights out a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Every thread with Nox goes through the same routine. Nox always thinks Nox is right, everybody who doesn’t agree with him is full of nonsense, and then he digs his heels in further.

Now that driving the morning after has been brought up, Nox will start saying how the limits are stupid, he’s fine to drive the morning after, how he knows people who have been “bagged” the morning after a monster session and have passed, etc.

You need to try harder Nox, you’re getting predictable :D

Also I’ve done the morning drop offs with younger siblings (often earlier than 10am) after massive nights out so that’s nothing new to me.

It's staying with the child for a 3 hour blitz. 10 am is not early. You might need those hours farming. With the daylight gone now that might mean rising at 7. If you were drinking heavy the night before the alcohol is in the blood. You shouldn't be driving. Add not getting much sleep with a child crying etc.

All depends on what a proper night out means and what you've told us is 16 pints plus.

Nox the question for you is this.

Could you give up the drink this minute for 3 months and be able to do it without any hassle?

Now ignoring questions like why, I love it etc.

You're a young man, should be in control, ask yourself..

I would be able to but I wouldn’t do it as why would I?
    Lol.

10am.

What’s so lol?

I've known constant lads like you in rural Ireland mad, wild mountainy men, hardy tough lads, farming, forestry, on the buildings etc.

Every one of them changed their lifestyle with children. Some single are living the same way, at 45 they look 65 with soupy eyes and dim wits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What’s so lol?

Your response to a post about having children made a couple of references to being able to be up before 10am as if that's a relevant frame of reference for being up with young children.

• Advertisement
Advertisement