Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Units of alcohol per week...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

I would be able to but I wouldn’t do it as why would I?

What’s so lol?

Since the clocks went back my little one is getting up at 5.30.

When she was on bottles. Feeds every 3 hours, 24 hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I would be able to but I wouldn’t do it as why would I?

If I knew you in person I'd ask you to put your money where your mouth is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve a feeling nox is some extremely bored but very imaginative aul biddy in a nursing home winding everyone up to pass the time

I’ve a feeling nox is some extremely bored but very imaginative aul biddy in a nursing home winding everyone up to pass the time

If not he could be heading that way!

sasta le wrote: »
    Anyone with kids would be lucky be have 1 or 2 nights out a year

Someone should tell all the people I regularly drink with who have kids, it would give them a good laugh.

One thing I'll say about Nox, he never insults anyone, is very measured, and does come across as a sound, likeable lad.

I'd say easy going would be an understatement. I can see him not cleaning up a yard saying ah feck that, it's time for pints, twill do till tomorrow!

Someone should tell all the people I regularly drink with who have kids, it would give them a good laugh.

Do they not feel guilty having the grandparents looking after them? It's hard work especially for older people.

jh79 wrote: »
    Since the clocks went back my little one is getting up at 5.30.

When she was on bottles. Feeds every 3 hours, 24 hours a day.

And? Not every baby is like that nor do 3 hour bottle feeds 24hr a day last more than 2 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Baby bottles!!!
    I thought this thread was more about Baby Powers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

That is more plausible than a 34 year old married man who lives in his childhood bedroom, showers every third day, gets his mother to do his clothes washing and holds down a successful career while propping up the bar with every spare moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Naggdefy wrote: »
    But that sounds like saying what people want to hear :) Whatever the truth is is best. Be that having 3 pints 5 might a week does no harm or is scientifically proven to do long term harm.

It's better than sounding like some parent telling their son to not have sex until marriage. If a doctor says to me don't drink more than 3 pints I would tell him to fook off and sensible Irish people would understand as I've no health issues. Now a limit of say 6 drinks at least I know I could still have a great night with 6 drinks so that is a possibility. If people are going to tell people about the importance of not overdoing it then it needs to come from a place that can be understood. It's like someone who's never drank given advice on alcohol rather than someone who use to be an alcoholic

It's staying with the child for a 3 hour blitz. 10 am is not early. You might need those hours farming. With the daylight gone now that might mean rising at 7. If you were drinking heavy the night before the alcohol is in the blood. You shouldn't be driving. Add not getting much sleep with a child crying etc.

All depends on what a proper night out means and what you've told us is 16 pints plus.

You make it sound like 3 hours at a blitz hungover would be very hard. If that’s the hardest thing you have to do hungover you have it fairly easy lol. I’d manage that even after a 16 pints day on the beer.

But anyway no a proper standard weekly night out would be let’s say around 10 pints, maybe 12 and probably a whisky or two. Maybe a few shorts if a late bar was involved but maybe not.

And? Not every baby is like that nor do 3 hour bottle feeds 24hr a day last more than 2 months or so.

Very few stay in bed till 10am. If they are up early weekdays for creche they will be up the same time at weekends.

jh79 wrote: »
    Very few stay in bed till 10am. If they are up early weekdays for creche they will be up the same time at weekends.

They might not stay in bed till 10am but you don’t always have to be the one getting up with them either. Even if you do, you get on with it unless you are someone who can’t function with a hangover of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

You make it sound like 3 hours at a blitz hungover would be very hard. If that’s the hardest thing you have to do hungover you have it fairly easy lol. I’d manage that even after a 16 pints day on the beer.

But anyone no a proper standards weekly night out would be let’s say around 10 pints, maybe 12 and probably a whisky or two. Maybe a few shorts if a late bar was involved but maybe not.

I honestly don't get it. These people are making out like you'd be completely incapable of doing anything after a big session.

I went hard on the beer for the Ireland NZ game. Was supping cans at 9am watching the England game before. Drank at home with lads until 1300. Had 5 cans. Then we headed to the pub. Had 2 more pints, then a carvery lunch. Then had probably 4 more pints of guinness. Changed pub. Had 3 whiskey and ginger ales. Then went to a night club. It gets a bit hazy then, but I think I had 2 or 3 more in there. Don't remember the walk home but there was curry chips on my Ireland jersey so I must have got food.

(so somewhere between 15-18 drinks over the day)

I was up at 0930 the next morning. Was in glenmalure in wicklow by 1130. Did a 2.5hr hike. Jumped in the river in Avonbeg and cleared the head. Hangover fully gone. Had a pint and a bag of tayto in the Glenmalure lodge and went home. Slept soundly that night and was very productive Monday morning.

What is wrong with people that they can't enjoy themselves, have a bit of craic and still get up and do something productive the next day?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think a lot depends on your age. And tolerance.

Did you drive the next day after 18 pints?

Aside, but why drink that many pints?

I'd have the four or five of the 6 or 7 pc.
    Anything else is just too much liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Did you drive the next day after 18 pints?

Aside, but why drink that many pints?

I'd have the four or five of the 6 or 7 pc.
    Anything else is just too much liquid.

Yes I drove. Not a bother on me either. Was up at 0930. Had scrambled eggs and rasher for breakfast and a pot of tea.

Was on the road for 1030.

Why did I drink so many pints?? Because I was out having mighty craic with the lads. The banter was fantastic. I'd love to be there now to be honest. At a wedding this weekend so have 3 days of it ahead of me *rubs hands*

Have you ever been around someone with 3 pints in them? It’s a nightmare.

Hahaha, 90% of people are grand after 3 pints, their usually great craic after 3 pints and their more relaxed and in a better mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They might not stay in bed till 10am but you don’t always have to be the one getting up with them either. Even if you do, you get on with it unless you are someone who can’t function with a hangover of course.

You can function with a hangover. It's just zero craic knocking about with a kid when you're hungover. For you or them.

But look, you'll either see that in time for yourself or you won't.

I used to find myself full of eagerness and functioning at work when I still had a bit in my system.

It's like a different drug once you push through the hangover. Or at least that's what it felt like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

sasta le wrote: »
    Anyone with kids would be lucky be have 1 or 2 nights out a year

Ah here!! I have kids but I have about one night out a month at least and have a moderate amount of wine with food more than once a week at home.

They're four (max five) pints or dinner and a bottle of wine or two between two. I get out with my dad for food and vino every second or third week.

Nothing in comparison to Nox's legendary nights out in fairness. I've another one on the way but there'll still be nights out for both of us (separately for a while).

Driving, caring and basically interacting with kids with a monster hangover isn't good for you and them.

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's better than sounding like some parent telling their son to not have sex until marriage. If a doctor says to me don't drink more than 3 pints I would tell him to fook off and sensible Irish people would understand as I've no health issues. Now a limit of say 6 drinks at least I know I could still have a great night with 6 drinks so that is a possibility. If people are going to tell people about the importance of not overdoing it then it needs to come from a place that can be understood. It's like someone who's never drank given advice on alcohol rather than someone who use to be an alcoholic

Sex before marriage won't do any harm to your health :D

If you told the doctor to f off you'd be fairly ignorant. He might have done a paper on how 30 units of alcohol per week trebles the rate of cirrhosis. You'd be only playing Billy Big Balls.

But anyone no a proper standards weekly night out would be let’s say around 10 pints, maybe 12 and probably a whisky or two. Maybe a few shorts if a late bar was involved but maybe not.

You're pulled on the road for the breathalyser, see where you'd be then. Meals on wheels deliver pints to you.

It's the time talking about. You'd need to catch up on the farm work. Something would give.

At the end of the day, lack of showering, home with mammy, shur there'd always be someone to pick up the kids, i'd have a rasher and scrambled eggs no bother. You sound like a man child.

While you sound laid back and sound there's a fair bit of immaturity there, selfishness. You're a bit like a caricature son from the 1950s you'd find in a John B. Keane play. Where the woman in the relationship put up with a lot and did everything from cooking to washing her man's underpants.

There aren't too many women would put up with that nowadays. And rightly so.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ah here!! I have kids but I have about one night out a month at least and have a moderate amount of wine with food more than once a week at home.

They're four (max five) pints or dinner and a bottle of wine or two between two. I get out with my dad for food and vino every second or third week.

Nothing in comparison to Nox's legendary nights out in fairness. I've another one on the way but there'll still be nights out for both of us (separately for a while).

Driving, caring and basically interacting with kids with a monster hangover isn't good for you and them.

That sounds spot on really. Given your username you're probably a man into fitness. Maybe I'm off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Four posts in a row there, N. Might be time to wipe the spittle from your chin and go for a walk.

You’re starting to sound hysterical.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

If you told the doctor to f off you'd be fairly ignorant.

If he can't back up his advice to me with facts he's a crap doctor. People who give advice on alcohol have to make sure their attacking overdoing it and not attacking drinking in moderation otherwise they will be ignored

That sounds spot on really. Given your username you're probably a man into fitness. Maybe I'm off the mark.

Not hugely. Keep fit, keep the weight off and try not use the car. Into an extreme sport that demands a semblance of fitness & strength to actually carry out.

In saying that, officially and medically I drink more than I should but I don't drive after drinking the night before. Had two glasses of white with dinner today.

It's entirely possible to have alcohol, nights out, scoops on a Thursday when you have kids, but in moderation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

As is said not something I’d have done often (mostly because it’s torture getting a taste for it and then having to stop and go back to work) but I’d have no issue whatsoever functioning just fine at work after 3 or 4 pints. Often operated machinery after similar amounts or more too on the farm (having jobs to do after coming home after a few pints), private land of course before anything is said.

It’s just to counter the nonsense posted about people being a mess after 3 or 4 pints, when it’s not even enough to be considered drinking imo.

Wouldnt you be smelling of booze then at work?
    Would your co workers notice?

Would they be thinking "theres that pissed up jakey whos married and lives at home with his parents. Hes saving for a gaff but pisses his wages up the wall every weekend and gets the auld one to collect him from the pub"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

HBC08 wrote: »

Would they be thinking "theres that pissed up jakey whos married and lives at home with his parents. Hes saving for a gaff but pisses his wages up the wall every weekend and gets the auld one to collect him from the pub"?

Considering how little nox showers or changes his underwashed underwear, maybe his colleagues find the smell of guinness farts an improvement...

I honestly don't get it. These people are making out like you'd be completely incapable of doing anything after a big session.

Exactly, I was out the gap of work at 5:30 pm on Friday and had a pint in hand by 5:40 and between the.and heading home around 1:30 had at least 12 pints and a whiskey or two, ‘‘twas hard to keep drink in front of me I’d such a thirst. I was up sat morning around 9:30 to watch most of the rugby and eat the breakfast, few bits around the house after and drove into town around lunch time to get a few bits done and stayed around for dinner and off home again. Not a bother really, sure I’d know I hadn’t an early night but was tiredness more than anything.
    You can function with a hangover. It's just zero craic knocking about with a kid when you're hungover. For you or them.

Maybe you just can’t handle hangovers, I can have a very normal day with one.

It's the time talking about. You'd need to catch up on the farm work. Something would give.

To be honest Saturday’s are usually busy on the farm when you are running a farm and working full time so hangover or no hangover it’s likely a child would be dropped off at the blitz by me or someone else and collected after. I know when I was a kid parents didn’t really hang around, they dropped you off and collected you bar an important match or whatever I suppose the snowflakes nowadays would disagree with this though
    HBC08 wrote: »
    "?

Sure who do you think I’d be having the lunch time pint with? It would be others from work. That was a rare occurrence anyway if the previous nights hangover needed a cure so the smell of drink in the morning would be a lot worse than coming back after lunch. That was a weekly or twice weekly thing for years going into work after a heavy night out and it would be with multiple coworkers so there would be a load of us in the same boat.

Maybe you just can’t handle hangovers, I can have a very normal day with one.

I don't really get hangovers. But you can't comment on how well you engage with your kids until you're in that position.

Getting up and having breakfast and going into town at lunchtime is an indicator of nothing other than you have basic motor skills.

And yes, you can bring a child out and watch them play or engage a little more. But you'll know yourself it wasn't the same as with a clear head. For you or them.

I'm not having a go, by the way. What you do is none of my business. I was just saying you don't engage with your child to the same degree after a heavy night. That's all. But you don't have any right now so that doesn't matter.

I'm just going to put this out there.

I worked in an advertising agency where one of the account directors drank at lunch time, and straight after work till he was incoherent. He was never sober after 3pm and was usually drunk until 10am! He didn't have kids, didn't drive and arrived in to work late showered in aftershave with minty breath even though he kept himself clean and had good hygiene.

I've never met a more popular man. He'd a lovely way about him, clients loved him, both women and men, he got the accounts in and I'm talking the big ones, car manufacturers, mobile phone companies (gold), whiskey clients with buckets of money.. the lot of them. I was the creative director and was very very fond of him and happily covered for him so many times.

His biggest skill aside from his charisma was his excellent delegation.. Hired people to do the jobs he'd be too sozzled to deal with and hired companies to do jobs the agency could have handled but skipped his role.

He lost his job because of his boozing, but it had nothing to do with his performance. The accounts person that took over was super diligent, highly qualified and excellent but simply couldn't pull in the big clients.

I'm still in touch with him, he's very very bitter about loosing his job, knows why he did and see's the client loss in the agency. Unfortunately he doesn't have the income to sustain his habit now and is slowly loosing his health and hygiene. He's living in less salubrious areas every year and is a bit messier every time I meet him.

It's pure Madmen stuff. At one stage the agency had an eight million turnover because of him, but some busy body caught him out on something we knew he did (drink heavily on the job) and the agency is suffering from his loss!

Madmen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Have you ever been around someone with 3 pints in them? It’s a nightmare. Now yes some are better at “hiding” the effect (usually go talkative or else silent) but all of them are are incapable of driving, minding children, following health and safety, doing any kind of work involving focus or heavy machinery etc. they are basically out of action until the alcohol slowly wears off

Ah come on now, lets have a bit of reality here. Very doubtful that anyone used to a couple of pints here and there would have any issue with normal behaviour after 3 pints. Lets leave asides the driving but all other stuff most blokes would be cool enough with. If not there is a bigger issue going on

I don't really get hangovers. But you can't comment on how well you engage with your kids until you're in that position.

Getting up and having breakfast and going into town at lunchtime is an indicator of nothing other than you have basic motor skills.

And yes, you can bring a child out and watch them play or engage a little more. But you'll know yourself it wasn't the same as with a clear head. For you or them.

I'm not having a go, by the way. What you do is none of my business. I was just saying you don't engage with your child to the same degree after a heavy night. That's all. But you don't have any right now so that doesn't matter.

I never actually said I did or didn’t have kids but the fact is even if I don’t it doesn’t exclude you from looking after other family members kids hungover which I have done many times.

I never actually said I did or didn’t have kids but the fact is even if I don’t it doesn’t exclude you from looking after other family members kids hungover which I have done many times.

Not even remotely the same.

Anyway, what you do doesn't bother me so I've no interest in commenting on what you do or don't do. Just that if you think that getting up for 10am or minding someone else's kids while hungover is the same as playing with your own, you'll probably find the reality quite different. And that's all I was saying so I'm out now.

Four posts in a row there, N. Might be time to wipe the spittle from your chin and go for a walk.

You’re starting to sound hysterical.

No limit on posts in a row Emmet :) Only on pints ;)

Emmet Spiceland is starting to get thick:D

'And I wish I was in sweet Dungloe
    and seated on the grass,
    And by my side a bottle of wine,
    and on my knee a lass,
    I'd call for liquour of the best,
    and I'd pay before I'd go,
    And I'd roll my Mary in my arms,
    in the town of sweet Dungloe.' :p:p

Is Nox not married with kids, though?
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    Doubtful.
    Well you are wrong.

When you do have kids. (actual real kids), your wife will be reluctant to leave them with hungover or drunk guardians! I can guarantee you that! It will happen organically. You'll have a few of your monster sessions and realise what's important, the morning after hardship or the craic the night before!! Maybe, if the stars fall good for you, you'll be able to carry on as you do!

Fair Fooks to you if you can maintain the status quo!!

Not even remotely the same.

Anyway, what you do doesn't bother me so I've no interest in commenting on what you do or don't do. Just that if you think that getting up for 10am or minding someone else's kids while hungover is the same as playing with your own, you'll probably find the reality quite different. And that's all I was saying so I'm out now.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to some that a lot of people can happily and easily mind their kids while hungover. If you want to have your nights out then its just something you have to do. Some give up the nights out as they aren't able for it obvioulsy but that's not how everyone wants to do it and keeping an active social life is important for many.
    When you do have kids. (actual real kids), your wife will be reluctant to leave them with hungover or drunk guardians! I can guarantee you that! It will happen organically. You'll have a few of your monster sessions and realise what's important, the morning after hardship or the craic the night before!! Maybe, if the stars fall good for you, you'll be able to carry on as you do!

You really do know very little about me and your predictions are quite funny and well wide of the mark.

• Advertisement

The older he gets the harder the massive sessions hit too.

I laugh at lads saying how productive they are the morning after 12 pints. They just think they are. If you looked at what they'd do sober as opposed to hungover there would be a serious difference in productivity.

Stats don't lie either, how many domestic, work, out on the town accidents happen because of excess drinking, proved by post mortems etc..

Ever have to go into A&E with a serious illness, injury on a Saturday night and be stuck for 6-7 hours behind drunken gob****es.. It's great craic alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’m struggling to think of a company in this day and age that would accept employees showing up on en masse so hungover that they needed the cure at lunch time and came back into the office with 3 or 4 pints on board

I’m calling bull on that nox

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’m struggling to think of a company in this day and age that would accept employees showing up on en masse so hungover that they needed the cure at lunch time and came back into the office with 3 or 4 pints on board

I did say it was a very rare thing, it was to make a point to one poster think 3/4 pints leaves you in a mess. But like a lot of my points they are getting exaggerated significantly.

Going in hungover from the night before has always been fair game though, once you are able to get on with it. Its not even noticed in most cases.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to some that a lot of people can happily and easily mind their kids while hungover. If you want to have your nights out then its just something you have to do. Some give up the nights out as they aren't able for it obvioulsy but that's not how everyone wants to do it and keeping an active social life is important for many.

Its not a big deal. Well, not to me. And I'm not for a minute saying you should just throw the towel in on a social life. But you're going to likely have to find a balance where there may be less pints. It reads as though you you won't need to change a thing. You probably will.

Just to clarify, there's a difference between 'minding' your kids and engaging with them.

Anyway, you won't appreciate that until you have to. No one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Cyrus wrote: »

Total bull, coming into work under the influence isn’t acceptable for someone in the most unskilled of positions let alone a high flyer like this fella!

Got to say I don’t think it’s unrealistic that someone would have a couple of pints now and again after having their first child. But moderation really is the key. Parenting comes first and if you have a hangover you can’t do it properly. Can understand someone who doesn’t have a newborn wouldn’t know that yet though.

You really do know very little about me and your predictions are quite funny and well wide of the mark.

You're right. I'm only reactivly posting on what you're saying here on these threads on boards.ie. You could be spoofing (you're inclined to spoof in fairness), you could be posting truthfully! You may have many kids, you may be a farmer, you may be a scientist, you may be a trader... Nobody really knows. But you are building a profile of yourself under this name and posting about your life, where you live, what you like and what you don't like and how you carry on in life!

You have built this persona of a mad lad, heavy drinker, craic loving individual. That's ok. But when you post about drink driving, operating machinery when pissed, minding kids when your drunk and all the other stuff you boast doubt you're going to be called out on it!

If you don't want to be called out on it and get offended. Stop with the spoofing! You're going to get caught out.

You're right. I'm only reactivly posting on what you're saying here on these threads on boards.ie. You could be spoofing (you're inclined to spoof in fairness), you could be posting truthfully! You may have many kids, you may be a farmer, you may be a scientist, you may be a trader... Nobody really knows. But you are building a profile of yourself under the name Nox001 and posting about your life, where you live, what you like and what you don't like and how you carry on in life!

You have built this persona of a mad lad, heavy drinker, craic loving individual. That's ok. But when you post about drink driving, operating machinery when pissed, minding kids when your drunk and all the other stuff you boast doubt you're going to be called out on it!

If you don't want to be called out on it and get offended. Stop with the spoofing! You're going to get caught out.

If I posted differently I would be spoofing, there is no spoofing in my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Total bull, coming into work under the influence isn’t acceptable for someone in the most unskilled of positions let alone a high flyer like this fella!

Got to say I don’t think it’s unrealistic that someone would have a couple of pints now and again after having their first child. But moderation really is the key. Parenting comes first and if you have a hangover you can’t do it properly. Can understand someone who doesn’t have a newborn wouldn’t know that yet though.

Exactly, we would have gone out for a few every other weekend before our fella came along. Now once a month is a treat. The clear heads every weekend morning, plenty of energy and no tiredness (bar the lack of sleep as a parent) is a great feeling. You'd have to feel so sorry for any kids having to deal with hungover parents every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

If I posted differently I would be spoofing, there is no spoofing in my posts.

So you have a very good job, requires a lot of qualifications, but you have drank four points at lunchtime, gone back to work, and no one batted an eyelid? Come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I love how some seem to think kids are too stupid to cop on what's up. Growing up with an alcoholic dad I've seen it all, also the lame attempts of pretending having his sh*t together. Of course he was able to go out but there was no quality in it for us kids.
    I've seen my folks hungover too many times and it made us kids incredibly uncomfortable because you always walk on eggshells.
    And let's be real, no kid is stupid enough to just ask "ah on the p1ss again last night?".

Advertisement