Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Units of alcohol per week...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I think he's drinking it before it settles, which considering how staunchly he's defended the two part pour, just doesn't seem right....

Nicest pints of Guinness I had the bar man would 'push' 3/4 and pull the last bit when settled, no innuendo !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 rusticalo

Good man, Nox! Doing the county proud. Bit before your time, but there was a competition in the early 90’s between a lad from Athenry and a lad from Loughrea to see who could drink the most Guinness. 22-19 in favour of Loughrea was the result.

Shower of fcuking eejits. Makes me laugh that lads take this as a sign of manliness when it makes them weaker, vulnerable. If a scrap did happen they wouldn't be able to handle themselves.

100 pints in a week and posting showing off. A bit of evolution to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cyrus wrote: »
    Like I said if you think you function the same the next day after 7 pints the night before you are only fooling yourself.

I like a drink but unlike the hometown heroes posting here getting battered every time I meet a friend or on a week night isn't my idea of a good time

Everyone is different. I dont drink often but when I do go out the odd time Id probably drink 6 or 7 pints. I feel perfectly fine the morning after so long as I still get my usual 8 hours sleep and drink plenty of water. Im a fairly skinny guy so Im sure theres guys that could drink considerably more than that and feel fine enough for work the next day

I dont get why youre so insistent on the idea that your experience of how you feel after drinking is the same fo everybody ? Dont you meet people who need more sleep than you do to function the next day, or people who need way less sleep than you and are still fine and you wonder how they could possibly manage..? But they do..Just one example, but everyones bodies work and are built differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

rusticalo wrote: »
    Most of the 7-8 midweek pint heros have a lot in common.

They might be 45 but look at least 10 years older, have 2-4 chins, red blotchy faces, seriously unfit though they think they are specimens, very over weight, no leg muscle with trousers hanging on their arse, couldn't run 400 metres and if they did would need a defribulator to hand. Think they are great craic and interesting but mainly boring oul shi*es talking crap. They love chips, burgers, drinking coke and generally eating crap.

I'll leave it there so :D

G`wan away with you, ya boi ya, we all like living it large
    Yep, age bracket ok,1 chin, cool complexion. 12 stone, plenty of calf muscle last time I looked, do the Park run most saturdays, would have done it tomorrow but for the rugby, so have the rashers and sausages in the fridge
    H`away the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Good man, Nox! Doing the county proud. Bit before your time, but there was a competition in the early 90’s between a lad from Athenry and a lad from Loughrea to see who could drink the most Guinness. 22-19 in favour of Loughrea was the result.

What was the time frame? Cause maybe 22 is a big number in the west but I'd know lads who put that away on a Tuesday....

I could have 16 pints or more if I went at it at noon on a Saturday.

Be a bit Merry when the 8th pint hits but otherwise grand

I’m hardcore unlike you bitches.

Like a boss

Then when Sunday comes I go at it again and there be no ****ing stopping me

Translated.

I'm a fat bol*ix who pisses away a few hundred euro a week. The children could do with the money for education but I don't place much heed in book learning because I want them to be big thick fcuks like me.

I'm a heart attack waiting to happen and God help the nurse who has to roll me over in the bed when I'm in for the bypass.

I find it difficult to tie my shoelaces and I'm out of breath walking the stairs.

I was on Operation Transformation earlier this year bawling my eyes out as the missus left me and I've low self esteem.

But on here I can be who I want.. I'm the boss.

Ha ha the light weights are out in force tonight!!

I lost count at 12 pints...

Drifter50 wrote: »
    G`wan away with you, ya boi ya, we all like living it large
    Yep, age bracket ok,1 chin, cool complexion. 12 stone, plenty of calf muscle last time I looked, do the Park run most saturdays, would have done it tomorrow but for the rugby, so have the rashers and sausages in the fridge
    H`away the lads

You're biased.. you should get a neutral MOT :D

Ha ha the light weights are out in force tonight!!

I lost count at 12 pints...

How many of them were yours??

How many of them were yours??

I paid for about 4 if that’s what you mean..

I’m so important they drinks are usually free!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Probably 20-30 units on a quiet week, 40-50 in a lively week, up and over a 100 on a mad week(few times a year). More than recommended but feck it as long as I can keep it from being full blown alcoholism its grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wakka12 wrote: »
    Everyone is different. I dont drink often but when I do go out the odd time Id probably drink 6 or 7 pints. I feel perfectly fine the morning after so long as I still get my usual 8 hours sleep and drink plenty of water. Im a fairly skinny guy so Im sure theres guys that could drink considerably more than that and feel fine enough for work the next day

I dont get why youre so insistent on the idea that your experience of how you feel after drinking is the same fo everybody ? Dont you meet people who need more sleep than you do to function the next day, or people who need way less sleep than you and are still fine and you wonder how they could possibly manage..? But they do..Just one example, but everyones bodies work and are built differently

How likely is it you go out on a week night drink 7 pints and get 8 hours sleep ?

I have a 1 year old baby and have often gone to work with a couple of hours sleep , I get through the day fine but am I as sharp as I would be if I had a proper nights sleep ? Course not , same way as I wouldn’t be if I had 6 or 7 pints the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's one thing that the people who think it's OK to have 7 or 8 pints on a school night are forgetting ; you stink of booze for half the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not touched it in a few months. It's a bit crap really. I used to enjoy the buzz but that wore off then I just ended up feeling drowsy and hungover next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

12-pints-Nox is the same chap who’s boasted of showering a couple of times a week (whether it’s needed or not), getting several days wear out of the same pair of Y fronts and occasionally changing his bed sheets.

Form an orderly queue ladies...

I don’t think he’s on the windup. I know of lads like him but generally they don’t hold it together so well into their latter 30’s....

Friend of mine has put away more than that over a days drinking, I wouldn’t even try to compete with him. One day recently I put away around 16 pints of Guinness plus few small ones, he devoured 25 pints of larger plus a few whiskeys. Was a full day at it now, 11am till 4am type setup but serious drinking all the same!

No wonder I laugh when I hear people think 6 or 7 pints is “a lot”.

Friend of mine has put away more than that over a days drinking, I wouldn’t even try to compete with him. One day recently I put away around 16 pints of Guinness plus few small ones, he devoured 25 pints of larger plus a few whiskeys. Was a full day at it now, 11am till 4am type setup but serious drinking all the same!

No wonder I laugh when I hear people think 6 or 7 pints is “a lot”.

You and your friend have a drinking problem nox

You and your friend have a drinking problem nox

Not in the slightest, just because you aren’t able for it doesn’t mean others have a problem.

There was 9 or 10 of us who drank pints into the mid teens that day, your suggestion would be laughed at. I know far more people who enjoy a good tray of pints than boring auld anti-craic merchants. Probably 100 people in the pub from work last night and no holds barred drinking by most, some not able for it but still wouldn’t shy away from it.

Not in the slightest, just because you aren’t able for it doesn’t mean others have a problem.

There was 9 or 10 of us who drank pints into the mid teens that day, your suggestion would be laughed at. I know far more people who enjoy a good tray of pints than boring auld anti-craic merchants. Probably 100 people in the pub from work last night and no holds barred drinking by most, some not able for it but still wouldn’t shy away from it.

You drink 16 pints and shorts in one setting and assume anyone who doesnt is no craic

Yeah you have a drink problem.

You know why there is such a high incidence of depression amongst young rural men ? Carry on like that

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    12-pints-Nox is the same chap who’s boasted of showering a couple of times a week (whether it’s needed or not), getting several days wear out of the same pair of Y fronts and occasionally changing his bed sheets.

Form an orderly queue ladies...

I don’t think he’s on the windup. I know of lads like him but generally they don’t hold it together so well into their latter 30’s....

Is Nox not married with kids, though?

Yeah you have a drink problem.

It’s very funny how you think you can make such a diagnosis. It’s complete nonsense.

I’m a very middle of the road, average drinker among the very wide array of people I know, be they friends, work colleagues, family or just acquaintances.

Doubtful.

It’s very funny how you think you can make such a diagnosis. It’s complete nonsense.

I’m a very middle of the road, average drinker among the very wide array of people I know, be they friends, work colleagues, family or just acquaintances.

No doubt.
    This is why people think Ireland had a problematic attitude to alcohol. It is somewhat normalised. That is changing, though.

Doubtful.

Well you are wrong.
    No doubt.
    This is why people think Ireland had a problematic attitude to alcohol. It is somewhat normalised. That is changing, though.

What’s changing? I don’t here any of this anti drink bull light weight nonsense going on in here aside from a few comical ads on tv and an odd head wreck on the tv giving out about people having a bit of craic.

It’s you who has the wrong attitude imo, thinking small amount of drink are some sort of mammoth amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well you are wrong.

What’s changing? I don’t here any of this anti drink bull light weight nonsense going on in here aside from a few comical ads on tv and an odd head wreck on the tv giving out about people having a bit of craic.
    Just for clarity, you honestly, sincerely think that drinking 25 pints of 'larger' is perfectly normal and is in no way bad for your health?

• Advertisement

Just for clarity, you honestly, sincerely think that drinking 25 pints of 'larger' is perfectly normal and is in no way bad for your health?

That type of thing is very a rare occurrence hardly something to be highlighting, it wasn’t me either I wouldn’t even able to drink that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That type of thing is very a rare occurrence hardly something to be highlighting, it wasn’t me either I wouldn’t even able to drink that much.

Well yes it was you that said 'your friend' drinks that much in a show of one upmanship to the other poster. So again, do you think that's normal and perfectly healthy?

You'll still celebrate it though, "remember when Tony drank 25 pints and shat himself on the dance floor during wagon wheel, what a legend"

Well yes it was you that said 'your friend' drinks that much in a show of one upmanship to the other poster. So again, do you think that's normal and perfectly healthy?

It wasn’t a show of one upmanship it was a days drinking and that’s what got drank. What do you expect a person to do, sit there without a drink for a few hours?

As for healthy who said it was healthy? I don’t anyone would say drinking 25 pints in a day on a regular basis was healthy.
    You'll still celebrate it though, "remember when Tony drank 25 pints and shat himself on the dance floor during wagon wheel, what a legend"

There was none of that, we were standing at the bar chatting at the end when plenty who drank less were long gone to bed. Of course I’ll celebrate it, was a savage day on the beer even if I wasn’t fit to reach the 20’s myself.

There is not a single better way to spend a day than a mammoth session, nothing.

There is not a single better way to spend a day than a mammoth session, nothing.

Says it all

Enjoy your cirrhosis

• Advertisement

Who knows regularly boasts his mother makes his dinner and does his washing so seems like he lives at home

Go ask any medical professional about your drinking see what they say

Who knows regularly boasts his mother makes his dinner and does his washing so seems like he lives at home

It’s not either or, I’m both married and living at home.
    Go ask any medical professional about your drinking see what they say

I had a full medial not very long ago, no issues whatsoever.

It’s not either or, I’m both married and living at home.

I had a full medial not very long ago, no issues whatsoever.

Did you tell them how much you drank ?

lol. 2 mammies then.

Did you tell them how much you drank ?

Gave some low 20 units average I think. Hardly going to say I’m fond of a regular sink full.
    lol. 2 mammies then.

Building a house at home so makes sense both financially and practically.

Gave some low 20 units average I think. Hardly going to say I’m fond of a regular sink full.

Why lie if you are so proud of it and sure it causes no medical damage ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

25 a day would cause problems eventually but every now and again most bodies are well able for it

Heavy on the pocket though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ah, alcohol doesn’t make you interesting. If you’re dull, you’re dull. And worse with booze because of the dreaded repetition. And everyone who drinks enough slides into repetition. I’ve never encountered an exception to that. That’s the main reason it’s hard to be around people drinking if you aren’t.

Doctors tend to mentally double the unit amounts people tell them. Why would you lie about it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

One day recently I put away around 16 pints of Guinness plus few small ones, he devoured 25 pints of larger.

What’s “larger”?
    Is it anything like lager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So, anecdotal, and completely useless information. A very large proportion of the population simply do not care about their health. if most people you know were doing heroine it wouldnt make it any more healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jamsiek wrote: »
    What’s “larger”?
    Is it anything like lager?

I’d say the dude made a simple spelling error. Think that would be apparent to anyone with an IQ above 80.

I’m on my holidays at the moment. Put away 8 litres of beer last night. Would have liked the fry this morning to be honest. Think I’ll take it easy this evening though.

I’m on my holidays at the moment. Put away 8 litres of beer last night. Would have liked the fry this morning to be honest. Think I’ll take it easy this evening though.

Fascinating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Fascinating

Thanks.

You seem a bit ‘bound up’, amigo. Maybe have a few beers to relax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’d say the dude made a simple spelling error. Think that would be apparent to anyone with an IQ above 80.

Make sure to avoid the photo menus places! ;)

Thanks.

You seem a bit ‘bound up’, amigo. Maybe have a few beers to relax?

Don’t worry, I’ll be having a few beers later. I just don’t bore people bragging about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just set 23 litres of IPA to ferment which should ring in at about 5.7% so my liver will be taking a pounding in about 6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

wakka12 wrote: »
    So, anecdotal, and completely useless information. A very large proportion of the population simply do not care about their health. if most people you know were doing heroine it wouldnt make it any more healthy
    I know a "heroine" I wouldnt mind doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The other pilots have no issue with the amount I drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I get this is a message board and is not really going to attract the social type? But the Helen Lovejoy handwringing is ridiculous.

7 pints is not a lot to drink. Especially on a weekend night.

If you attend a wedding say...

You'd have a pint before the mass at 1,

Another 2 after the mass in the local beside the church.

Head to the venue (and before anyone starts hassling me about drink driving - I get the missus to drive) and you have a few gin and tonics or presseccos or whatever is free. Then maybe another quick pint.

Seated for the meal and easily have 4 or 5 glasses of wine through the meal and the speeches. Then a shot after the meal (normally the person who wins the guess how long the speeches are game buys this.)

Then the real drinking starts. Would easily have another 6 drinks (minimum) between then and heading to bed at 4am.

That's not just me. That's pretty much every guest at the wedding. (except the scowly dry ****es who head to bed at 1am because they're tired)

So that's what? Close to 20 drinks over the course of a wedding.

Yet people are acting like 7 pints is some kind of binge. It's not. Get a grip.

Advertisement