Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last month's rent, moving out

Options
  • 23-10-2019 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Gf up in Dublin got notice from landlord he’s renovating house and need to move out by january. Part iv agreement, there a good few years. He said its no problem if she and housemates find something in meantime, she can move, she isn’t stuck there until January. In fact the sooner they can go the better for him!

However – she actually potentially has something available to move into next month with her existing housemates (happened quite fast, amazingly for Dublin although this is actually out towards Kildare), although an exact date hasn’t been specified just yet. She pays rent at the 1st of the month each month.

She should know for sure next week. However, provided it does go ahead, how should she approach November’s rent? (which will be due next Friday, November 1st). Say if she were to move in to new place on November 10th, does she only need to pay for the 10 days?

And if it is at a pro-rata rate would it generally be a case of pay the full rent on the 1st and then landlord gives a refund later in month after he gets the keys back and the house is vacated, depending on number of days that were served? Or is the pro rata rate agreed in advance and she only has to pay that much on the 1st?

Just wanted to get thoughts before they approached him directly, as he can be a bit scattered at times, so no harm to be armed with the correct info!

Anything I’ve found online refer to scenarios where the tenant is moving out of their own accord, and answers have been mixed

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

If she pays monthly, I would suspect she will need to give a minimum of a months notice. 10days is not enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if the flat is rented by the month and she is there/her stuff is there on the 1st of the month, the rent for the month is due.

now given she is being asked to move out to facilitate the landlord he may agree to pro rata the rent that month, he may accept her deposit as last months rent etc, as a sweetener to ensure she is out on time. But he doesn't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Fol20 wrote: »
    If she pays monthly, I would suspect she will need to give a minimum of a months notice. 10days is not enough time.

Notice isn't an issue with him

He said she can move out whenever she likes from when the notice was originally served on his side (given the Dublin rental market) and at short notice if necessary, January is just a deadline they need to be out of the house by. He doesn't care about making up the rent in the meantime or anything like that
    if the flat is rented by the month and she is there/her stuff is there on the 1st of the month, the rent for the month is due.

now given she is being asked to move out to facilitate the landlord he may agree to pro rata the rent that month, he may accept her deposit as last months rent etc, as a sweetener to ensure she is out on time. But he doesn't have to.

Cheers, yeah makes sense

I guess it'll come down to his preference so, but given it is him that served the notice I'd imagine an agreement can hopefully be made. If not so be it!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

jr86 wrote: »
    Notice isn't an issue with him

He said she can move out whenever she likes from when the notice was originally served on his side (given the Dublin rental market) and at short notice if necessary, January is just a deadline they need to be out of the house by. He doesn't care about making up the rent in the meantime or anything like that

Cheers, yeah makes sense

I guess it'll come down to his preference so, but given it is him that served the notice I'd imagine an agreement can hopefully be made. If not so be it!

Thanks again

I'd advise she just puts the proposal to the LL now that it's likely they'll be out by the tenth of Nov and would like to arrange a final inspection for before this date and that she will pay the pro rata amount until the move out date. The LL is likely to be more than fine with this approach given what you've said. I wouldn't be volunteering the month payment first up but if she gets pushback from the LL then cross that bridge when she comes to it.

Advertisement