Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light fixtures removed from ceiling

Options
  • 23-10-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just moved into the house we bought over the last few days. Four light fixtures have been removed from the ceiling and left with live wires hanging from the ceiling. I'm assuming these weren't standard fixtures that were taken which is fair enough if they were expensive but I believe these should have been replaced before we moved in.

Just wanted to now who should cover the cost of these replacements and if an electrician is required to install?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mailrewop wrote: »
    Hi, Just moved into the house we bought over the last few days. Four light fixtures have been removed from the ceiling and left with live wires hanging from the ceiling. I'm assuming these weren't standard fixtures that were taken which is fair enough if they were expensive but I believe these should have been replaced before we moved in.

Just wanted to now who should cover the cost of these replacements and if an electrician is required to install?

At the end of the day it is now your house so its your cost to bear. An electrician with 4 light fittings wont be too expensive in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

mailrewop wrote: »

Yeah some people are just aholes. I can appreciate they want to take light fittings if they are expensive but they certainly should have put standard fittings back. Can't really do anything.

If I was moving I would take my light fittings as they are antiques but would put up standard fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are still allowed fit light fittings yourself, and they are not complicated. Even large Tesco stores may have basic replacements as will any Woodies or similar - they'll have fancier ones too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

20 minutes should have all 4 replaced- its very straightforward
    There is no reason at all that you'd need to get an electrician out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I'm not sure it's great advice to encourage people to have a go at wiring light fittings given most people can't wire a plug these days. It might seem simple to some but it's still dangerous if you don't know what you are at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Last time i wired a light.. I just wrapped the 2 wires with tape. Since then i heard of a terminal block.
    Well, i wasnt confident of wiring a 3x ceiling rose setup, or a light with 2 switches. I trusted an acquaintance and he made a haymes of it. In the end i was quoted 30eur a light by an electrician for 4 lights. I thought it was steep so i got a recommendation and in the end paid 50 for 4 lights.
    It was done right.

Tldr if there's 2 wires hanging from the ceiling.. Buy termibal blocks and tape. If it's more complex find an electrician who does nixers.

Edit.. Excellent opportunity to get nice light fittings. I bought cheap ones on lampandlight.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If the fittings were there when the house was viewed and it was not mentioned that they were not in the sale they should not be removed. Ideally you shod have reviewed the house just prior to closing. However from a legal viewpoint standard fitting should have been refitted. It would be interesting to ring auctioneer and complain. He have a duty of care in a legal sense. You could bring to the attention of your solicitor but it could cost more than the electrician. I try the auctioneer though.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

If they were removed the departing owners should have had the decency to put in even a simple pendant fitting. But it's not worth the hassle of pursuing them. I recommend Ikea for light fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

To not even put on a terminal block or wrap insulation tape around them is very bad and potentially dangerous.
    Removing them at all is bad form, can you remember the light fitting that were there.
    It is pretty easy to fit new ones plenty of videos on youtube though if there is more than two wires (not counting earth if it is there) it can be bit trickier unless obvious which two were grouped, ideally when you remove fitting you put a new one straight away so you keep the same wires together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Removing them is likely to be a breach of the standard contract - they are fixtures which are normally included in the sale the same as the kitchen presses. Assuyming no special condition was included specifying that they would be removed.

Maybe not worth the hassle of pursuing though, the cost of 4 light fittings as a proportion of the cost of the house is pretty insignificant. Bad form and inappropriate though.

• Advertisement

Honestly.. Id contact the seller and promise them a name and shame on Facebook if they didn't put it right- if not a solicitor letter. I'm not sure i agree that they should be replaced with bog-standard units either... They were a fixture and therefore included in the sale... Just like a fireplace or granite worktop. Furniture can be removed. Fixtutes and fittings cannot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

antix80 wrote: »
    Honestly.. Id contact the seller and promise them a name and shame on Facebook if they didn't put it right- if not a solicitor letter. I'm not sure i agree that they should be replaced with bog-standard units either... They were a fixture and therefore included in the sale... Just like a fireplace or granite worktop. Furniture can be removed. Fixtutes and fittings cannot.

You’d have to be friends with them first on FB.
    Lights a fittings, not fixtures in my opinion.

I’ve removed lights when selling before and replaced with standard white pendants and standard lamp shades but we made it clear that they were not included. Some of our light fittings were €300 each.

OP, check the contract for exclusions.

Is there a distinction between fixtures and fittings.? .. I assumed anything nailed down stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.woodies.ie/tips-n-advice/how-to-change-light-fittings

if you can use a screw driver, and put a plug onto a kettle,
    you can change a light fitting.
    Make sure and switch off power at the fuse box before you start.
    if lights are at a height you might need a stepladder .
    standard light fixtures are sold at any hardware store .

or pay an electrician if you want.

kceire wrote: »
    You’d have to be friends with them first on FB.
    Lights a fittings, not fixtures in my opinion.

I’ve removed lights when selling before and replaced with standard white pendants and standard lamp shades but we made it clear that they were not included. Some of our light fittings were €300 each.

OP, check the contract for exclusions.

Light fitting would be fixtures. If you indicated in the sale that is ok, just like if you had an antique fireplace. If you indicate at the sale stage grand removing after sale is is not right. Worse still is to leave bare wires. If nothing else they could be a fire hazard

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

they should have put in standard light fittings ,
    but its not unusual for someone to remove expensive light fitting,s .
    When selling a house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Light fitting would be fixtures.

Is that not a contradiction? It’s either a fitting or a fixture?

kceire wrote: »
    Is that not a contradiction? It’s either a fitting or a fixture?

It si the term used for it, a kitchen is fitted as well but you would not get away with removing that. In electrical all fixtures are referred to as fitting sockets, switches etc.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement