Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarify and lawn feed, Too late in year?

Options
  • 23-10-2019 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi folks

Myself and my wife have moved into a house this year, having been in apartments since moving out of my parents many years ago.

I'm loving having a garden, but I'm not in love with the state of the lawn. Is it too late this year to scarify and lay down some Green Force Lawn Feed, Weed and Mosskiller? From reading online, it seems I should have attempted this in August-ish.

Am I best off waiting until spring at this stage? Any advice is greatly appreciated as i havent really got a clue what I'm doing! :o

BK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

bking wrote: »
    Hi folks

Myself and my wife have moved into a house this year, having been in apartments since moving out of my parents many years ago.

I'm loving having a garden, but I'm not in love with the state of the lawn. Is it too late this year to scarify and lay down some Green Force Lawn Feed, Weed and Mosskiller? From reading online, it seems I should have attempted this in August-ish.

Am I best off waiting until spring at this stage? Any advice is greatly appreciated as i havent really got a clue what I'm doing! :o

BK

Wait til spring at this stage, especially with the weather forecast to cool down over the next week weeks. You can give it a cut though if the ground does dry out to keep looking somewhat tidy. Just don't cut it too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

Thanks for the heads up. Would it be worth spreading the moss and weed killer now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

bking wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Would it be worth spreading the moss and weed killer now?

Yep you can apply an autumn fertiliser and a moss remover now. You could give it a light scarifying tho and aeration (hollow tine) is fine as well. If the lawn is in a bad way as it is then you are unlikely to do much additional damage! Lawn's are very resilient anyway. I find it's as much about trial and error to find out what works for your lawn. Sunshine amounts, soil condition, lawn usage, rainfall, drainage etc. vary a lot so there's not really a once size fits all regime for lawn maintenance in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm no expert but there will probably be little growth from now on. I wouldn't put anything down that puts stress on the lawn.

Advertisement