Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GNIB renewal

• 23-10-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys. this is urgent. My stamp 2 IRP (Irish Residential Permit) expires on the 31st, and I need to renew my stamp to stamp 1G as I have graduated college.

Here's the story. I was initially studying in Dublin for Stamp 2. I moved to Dundalk due to financial reasons after I graduated. I saw through the GNIB website that appointment wasn't needed to renew IRP outside Dublin, so I didn't pay much attention. It was only afterwards when I wanted to go that I found out that I still had to make an appointment with my local Garda through email. My next appointment is mid November. So I did myself bad I know.

What can I do to get an early appointment before my expiration? Has anyone faced similar situations? I know if I lived in Dublin I could still go for those short-term appointments they have in Dublin but I can't now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

jimj292 wrote: »
    Hi guys. this is urgent. My stamp 2 IRP (Irish Residential Permit) expires on the 31st, and I need to renew my stamp to stamp 1G as I have graduated college.

Here's the story. I was initially studying in Dublin for Stamp 2. I moved to Dundalk due to financial reasons after I graduated. I saw through the GNIB website that appointment wasn't needed to renew IRP outside Dublin, so I didn't pay much attention. It was only afterwards when I wanted to go that I found out that I still had to make an appointment with my local Garda through email. My next appointment is mid November. So I did myself bad I know.

What can I do to get an early appointment before my expiration? Has anyone faced similar situations? I know if I lived in Dublin I could still go for those short-term appointments they have in Dublin but I can't now.

Book the appointment for November. Go and renew it. There shouldn't be any hassle. I know two people who had same situation for renewal and they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jimj292

LastStop wrote: »
    Book the appointment for November. Go and renew it. There shouldn't be any hassle. I know two people who had same situation for renewal and they were fine.

Thank you for your advice. I just can't get it out of my head for the time moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you're outside of County Dublin, there's really no strict restriction on where you can go to renew as far as I know. I always schlep over to Limerick to wait in the gigantic queue rather than going to my local station where I live in Clare, because it's easier than trying to pin down the one sergeant here who can actually do registrations (did that on my initial one and it took over a month to get ahold of him and get an meeting scheduled). If Dundalk requires appointments and doesn't have any available, try ringing a few of the surrounding Garda stations and see if any of them have anyone there who can do registrations available on short notice.

That said, you may be out of luck anyway as far as renewing on time; with the new IRP cards they're contracted through a third party and they now take 3-4 weeks to get your card back to you. Some offices might give you the stamp immediately, but sometimes they won't give it to you until you collect the card.

As LastStop said, though, it may not really be a big deal in the end either way; they're no doubt used to dealing with folks who are renewing a bit late due to various circumstances. As long as you aren't taking up work before you get your new permission sorted, you'll probably be fine. Also, Stamp 2 isn't reckonable residence anyway, so there's no worry on accounting for a gap in your reckonable permissions if you end up applying for LTR or citizenship someday (assuming you remember to book your appointments in good time for all your future registrations, of course... :pac: ).

dennyk wrote: »
    If you're outside of County Dublin, there's really no strict restriction on where you can go to renew as far as I know. I always schlep over to Limerick to wait in the gigantic queue rather than going to my local station where I live in Clare, because it's easier than trying to pin down the one sergeant here who can actually do registrations (did that on my initial one and it took over a month to get ahold of him and get an meeting scheduled). If Dundalk requires appointments and doesn't have any available, try ringing a few of the surrounding Garda stations and see if any of them have anyone there who can do registrations available on short notice.

That said, you may be out of luck anyway as far as renewing on time; with the new IRP cards they're contracted through a third party and they now take 3-4 weeks to get your card back to you. Some offices might give you the stamp immediately, but sometimes they won't give it to you until you collect the card.

As LastStop said, though, it may not really be a big deal in the end either way; they're no doubt used to dealing with folks who are renewing a bit late due to various circumstances. As long as you aren't taking up work before you get your new permission sorted, you'll probably be fine. Also, Stamp 2 isn't reckonable residence anyway, so there's no worry on accounting for a gap in your reckonable permissions if you end up applying for LTR or citizenship someday (assuming you remember to book your appointments in good time for all your future registrations, of course... :pac: ).

Thank you. I went to the immigration office asap today to try my luck. Literally no one was waiting renewing the gnibs, and no immagration officers were in their department. Real surprised.

I think they would give you the stamp but the card takes time. I'll just try ringing them up everyday, and also stations nearby.

dennyk wrote: »

Just rang a couple of gardas in Louth, so they say everyone in Louth can only do it in Dundalk only now... Other garda stations don't offer immgration services...

• Advertisement
Advertisement