Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting new tyres

• 23-10-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello.
    I'm getting new tyres for my car. It's a 10 year old car, not worth much, but I want to put decent tyres on it.
    My questions are:
    Are Mitchelin way better than the rest, or is there not really too much difference?
    Is there anywhere in Ireland worth going to, to get tyres where the price is a lot lower?
    Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No not as such but stick to premium brands and you wont go far wrong.

General advice if you haven't heard the name dont buy the tire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I have found Uniroyal Rainsports to be a very good mid-priced tyre.

I order from here and get a local fitter to fit them. www.camskill.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DIY >> main forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

corkgsxr wrote: »

General advice if you haven't heard the name dont buy the tire

If the name sounds like an obscure item off a Chinese take away menu, steer clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check your brands on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ive been pricing them , in wexford ,
    and adamstown tyres are doing hankook ventus for 100 euro fitted , its a good tyre from reviews .

( note that is 215 45 r 16 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Great tyre had them on my car .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

DaDumTish wrote: »
    and adamstown tyres are doing hankook ventus for 100 euro fitted , its a good tyre from reviews .

That's very close to the online price. Great deal IMHO.

https://www.tyres.ie/tyres/car/summer-tyres/hankook-215-45-16/108+200+201+202

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Hello.
    I'm getting new tyres for my car. It's a 10 year old car, not worth much, but I want to put decent tyres on it.
    My questions are:
    Are Mitchelin way better than the rest, or is there not really too much difference?
    Is there anywhere in Ireland worth going to, to get tyres where the price is a lot lower?
    Thanks everyone.

I would say there are three tiers of tyre - premium, mid range, and budget.
    The lines are often blurred between them but your top tier would be the likes of Michelin, Good Year, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Yokohama, Hankook

Mid range would be the likes of
    Toyo, Firestone, Uniroyal, Fulda, Avon, BF Goodrich,

Budget would generally be brands you would never have normally heard of but would include well known brands such as Triangle, Hifly, Winda, Sunny

Now manufacturers do a range of products, so you can’t say that all Bridgestone are better than all Uniroyals but I would be happy to have any of the above mid range or premium brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redline2015

Tropheus wrote: »
    I have found Uniroyal Rainsports to be a very good mid-priced tyre.

I order from here and get a local fitter to fit them. www.camskill.co.uk

2nd that
    Uniroyal Rainsport 3
    Brilliant tyre better than some premium tyres I've had..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

2nd that
    Uniroyal Rainsport 3
    Brilliant tyre better than some premium tyres I've had..

just got two bridgestone weathercontrols for 95 each last week at my local tyre center 205 55 R16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Rainsport 5's are due soon - https://blobs.uniroyal-tyres.com/www8/servlet/blob/3165922/2e79b7c56e4b43f3ea7e7b2da6354dbc/rainsport5-factsheet-data.pdf

If they have addressed the vagueness of the Rainsport 3 in the handling dept and improved the mileage further it would be an excellent tyre for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Michelin only for me. I trust my life with a Michelin tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

In general, are there savings to be made by getting tyres up North?

Thread getting low on the rear (275/40 r18) and I'll probably be up in Newry soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It would be rare to find something in the automotive world that isn't cheaper up North. If you're going that anyways, certainly worth a look.

Crock Rock wrote: »

Any particular model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Crock Rock wrote: »

I've been buying tyres of multiple different brands for decades. None have come close to failing or killing me.

I have just gone from Michelin Primacy 3s - which have an A wet rating to Debica Presto UHP2s. which also have an A wet rating. The Michelins would have slightly better dry grip but the noise level of the Debicas is about 1/4 that of the Michelins. Incredibly quiet. I'd get the Debicas again without hesitation, in preference to the Michelins. The Michelins are currently €118 a tyre while the Debicas were €58 per tyre.

Debica is owned by Goodyear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Super impressed with the Tokyo proxes cf2. Grip levels in the wet feel on par with the Goodyear eagle f1s I had years ago. Very reasonably priced tyre. I think I paid 63 euro per corner for a 205 60 r15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

Personally I wouldn't bother uniroyal had them on few car and pick up they just wear out too quick around 10000 miles but on plus they have brilliant grip and quiet tyres too maybe if you was doing small mileage you would get few years out of them probably be ok then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Ask your local tyre shop what their opinion is. They'll tell you what the best premium tyre is. Mine generally recommend michellin.

But I go for bridgestone always. Just what I prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

Ask your local tyre shop what their opinion is. They'll tell you what the best premium tyre is. Mine generally recommend michellin.

But I go for bridgestone always. Just what I prefer.

Local tyre shop will suggest the ones they sell the most off/have in stock/have biggest margin on.

Dont be fooled into thinking they are experts. That’s my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

DaDumTish wrote: »

Yes, it is. As another poster said, read some reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk. Don't mind posters talking about grip. V few can tell the difference in grip between a mid-price Tyre and a premium tyre. Oh yes a Hifly or a Pace Tyre will see you in a ditch if you're daft. But also fine if you drive fine. Clearly some tyres are less ideal in rain, which is our biggest obstacle here.

I ran Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (2 sets) on a 140 mile round trip daily commute on a 407 Coupe for 18 months and I can attest to they being a great all-round Tyre. For that type of car. Good economy, good grip, stable on light snow etc. I had replaced Accelera, which to be honest are grand, you just wouldn't push them in rain on a heavy front end like that.

More recently, I've replaced Firestone Destination HP on a CRV with BF Goodrich Urban Terrain. I went to Ennis to get them for price and service and v good vibes.

So it depends on your driving style, what you're driving, what the majority of your driving is etc. Give us an idea of that.
    Don't mind the 10 year old car thing. Buy yourself good tyres, mid-range, and you'll thank yourself. They're the making of a car.

893bet wrote: »
    Local tyre shop will suggest the ones they sell the most off/have in stock/have biggest margin on.

Dont be fooled into thinking they are experts. That’s my experience.

If you go to some random shop or chain, then sure, but not if you know them well.
    But if you know the local crowd ( mine are neighbors for 20 years).

Ask them what THEY use themselves, and explain what you're looking for exactly. If they know you're serious about driving and on friendly terms they're honest.

But yeah, I see random people drop their cars in and they'll just slap a pair of hancooks on because people know no different. (not that theres anything bad about that really)

My local always say Michellelin pilot sport or Michelin cross climate are their favs but as I said, I tend to go for the bridgestone weather controls myself.

YMMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If you go to some random shop or chain, then sure, but not if you know them well.
    But if you know the local crowd ( mine are neighbors for 20 years).

Ask them what THEY use themselves, and explain what you're looking for exactly. If they know you're serious about driving and on friendly terms they're honest.

But yeah, I see random people drop their cars in and they'll just slap a pair of hancooks on because people know no different. (not that theres anything bad about that really)

My local always say Michellelin pilot sport or Michelin cross climate are their favs but as I said, I tend to go for the bridgestone weather controls myself.

YMMV.

You need to do some research on Hankook.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You need to do some research on Hankook.

I hear they're great tyres but havent a clue obviously. I should have mentioned all the cheap ****e chinese tyres they use too.. But I'd only go for top of the range myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Yes, sure Michelin is a reliable tyre manufacturer and I am a witness of its products' durability. You can also consider Bridgestone, Pirelli and Continental. These are easily available at tyre depots in Ireland. However, before going with very cheap options, I will suggest you to must cross-check are you actually buying the genuine tyre. Scams are common with low price tags.

Any Continentals I’ve ever had wear very quickly. Wouldn’t bother with them. Have them on the Octavia now of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My current set of Falken FK510 have been pretty good, before that I had Michelin PS4 but found them to wear quite fast, not surprising for UHP tyres.
    I have just ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 5 so I'll see how they hold up, it was a toss up between the Eagle F1 and the Nokian Powerproof.
    235/45 18 is an unusual size so always a little more expensive.
    I priced mine locally but they only had one brand in stock Jinyu YH63@ €115 ea
    I know Jinyu are probably OK but at €15 more for Goodyear Eagles its not worth experimenting IMO.
    Lots of the Mid range tyres are now approaching or bettering the established premium brands.
    Hankook, Falken, Nokian are easily as good or better in several models.
    The brand means nothing, the model is whats important.

Advertisement