Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA role

• 23-10-2019 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Without giving too much away I would like to known is it appropriate for an SNA to type out what I say to students in the class when I am teaching them? These typed notes are then sent home to the parents, it has only recently started and I am unsure how comfortable I am with the situation.

I haven’t yet asked to see what the SNA is typing as I am new to the school and I don’t want to appear unprofessional. Literally most of what I say is typed up as I can hear the keyboard tapping away. It’s a little unnerving.

Is this usual practice? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

SNAs should never be in a teaching role -care needs only .

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

Is it primary or secondary school. Secondary I could understand that the SNA is taking down notes. I doubt there’s anything that shouldn’t be there. I used write notes for a student in secondary before. If the noise of typing bothers you why not speak to the SNA.
    Re mention of a teaching role I can’t see any teaching going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tros

Totally appropriate at all levels - primary and secondary.

SNA role includes "Assistance with severe communication difficulties....this might include assistance with assistive technology equipment, typing or handwriting..." from Circular 0030/2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How is the SNA otherwise helping the student when they're transcribing every word the teacher says, that's what I'd be wondering.

Probably should have been a conversation between the SNA and teacher beforehand regarding the students needs

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

How is the SNA otherwise helping the student when they're transcribing every word the teacher says, that's what I'd be wondering.

Probably should have been a conversation between the SNA and teacher beforehand regarding the students needs

Maybe this is what this student needs to enable him/her to learn. SNA May have been doing this long before teacher started so continued as they have always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Had quite a few sna’s and students typing up notes during my classes over the years. So long as the student is listening and engaged with what your saying I wouldn’t be too worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

tros wrote: »
    Totally appropriate at all levels - primary and secondary.
    I would say that if it's as the OP described, it's completely inappropriate at all levels.
    The teacher should have been told what's happening, either by management or by the SNA, because there's a difference between providing students with notes and just transcribing everything the teacher says, and unless the SNA is qualified in the subject being taught, I wouldn't expect them to know the difference.

Now if it's being done in consultation with the teacher, and the teacher has the opportunity to approve the notes before they're sent out, that's different, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Thanks everyone, I’m in Secondary and currently the situation is the SNA sits in classroom far away from student and types as I speak. These notes are then used at home for the parents to teach the student. The student does not write down what I say but he can take down notes from the board. The SNA does not assist the child in any other way. I suppose I am most worried about something I say being taken down incorrectly by the SNA and then it being reinforced at home.

I have never been offered the opportunity to read the notes nor have I yet asked. I also find myself not wanting to explain or give examples from my own life as I usually would to keep students interested as I find it uncomfortable that it’s being typed and saved if that makes sense. TBH I’m asking students to just read from the book more than I ever did before and I put notes on the board etc rather than speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭CraftySue

Students themselves might not have the handwriting or typing speed to take their own notes, that is why the SNA might be taking notes. If your uncomfortable with this, suggest that you will provide notes to the student for each lesson- this way you can be certain the student is getting accurate notes, is a way you would like them presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

CraftySue wrote: »
    Students themselves might not have the handwriting or typing speed to take their own notes, that is why the SNA might be taking notes. If your uncomfortable with this, suggest that you will provide notes to the student for each lesson- this way you can be certain the student is getting accurate notes, is a way you would like them presented.

That’s not the case here though as no students is writing what I say orally. It’s only when I ask them to take down notes from the board do they write. The student has no problem writing and can write notes from the board with no issue.

His teacher last year didn’t have the SNA typing but she was present in some of our subject classes but not all, as I asked.

I could do my own notes - good suggestion but I get the impression it wouldn’t be enough for the parent and the SNA needs to be doing something in the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭CraftySue

Maybe check-in with SEN coordinator, just to see why SNA is writing notes and why SNA is with student in classroom. SEN coordinator might not have support files with this info done and available yet, but will be able to tell you. It's ok to ask, as it could help you plan for the student to help meet their needs.

Advertisement